Nintendo is asking developers to make their games 4K ready

DLSS processing almost certainly has to occur within the dock. Which means that the Dock hardware has to have traditional graphics processing cores along with their tensor cores.

Unless that tesselator rumor is real.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

DLSS processing almost certainly has to occur within the dock. Which means that the Dock hardware has to have traditional graphics processing cores along with their tensor cores.

Unless that tesselator rumor is real.

Tesselator rumor?

Just now, Remij said:

Tesselator rumor?

Maybe I'm getting the name wrong. But its a separate card that they could sell to older nVIdia owners that adds DLSS and ray-tracing improvements and works in conjuction with their existing video card.

Just now, jehurey said:

TRAVERSAL Coprocessor card.

Oh.. that rumor.

Yea, I heard about that, but nah, that's complete BS.  I think it was started because people were wondering why Nvidia had fans on each side of the GPU, leading some to believe that there was a separate processor on the backside to help with ray traversal intersect calculations.  We know that to not be the case now.

I think the Dock idea is plausible.  But it could just as well be a new chip with tensor support for a Switch Pro, and then a brand new chip for the Switch 2 within a couple years of that.

I'd personally like the Dock, because it would be nice to just be able to set my Switch down in a new dock and enjoy 4K Nintendo games... but I have a feeling it'll be a new handheld completely with a better screen and better everything.