MS taking a loss on both XSX & XSS

4 minutes ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

What's the point of being in this business if you aren't making any money? 

They make their revenue on XBL and Gamepass subs. That's all these boxes are for is to pump up those subscription numbers.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

They make their revenue on XBL and Gamepass subs. That's all these boxes are for is to pump up those subscription numbers.

Pretty much, especially the S model, forcing you to buy on XBL marletplace. I wonder if Sony will sell their digital only console at a similar price to compete.

how is this news, don't all console pamanufacturers take a loss at launch on hardware? 

Console manufacturers make lion share of money from software and services. 

They only make money off the hardware when overtime the cost of components go down as the gen goes on. 

14 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

how is this news, don't all console pamanufacturers take a loss at launch on hardware? 

Console manufacturers make lion share of money from software and services. 

They only make money off the hardware when the cost of components go down as the gen goes on. 

TBH I'd rather have MS and Sony thinking about future Pro models, coming in the next few years, rather than a model that's 1/3 the power just to appeal to grandmas buying christmas presents. Imagine a 4tflop console in 2023 if a 20tflop PS5 launches. The spec difference in configurations will be pretty jarring.

By the end of the gen the S will be a 900p/1080p machine. I guess that's fine at the end of the day.