• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

oh damn, and it has 50 hours of gaming too. sooo getting!

Downloading now 👌

It's 25 Canadian. So 20 for you

7:29
Hades Review

Hades Review

The road out of Hell was paved in early access.

Nick Limon By Nick Limon
Updated: 17 Sep 2020 11:59 am
Posted: 17 Sep 2020 8:00 am

In the ancient Greek myth of Sisyphus, a poor soul is doomed to forever push a boulder uphill without rest. Each time he’d push it up, it would roll back down again and he’d have to start anew. But what if that Herculean climb uphill was actually awesome combat against a randomized variety of enemies as you fight your way out of Hell, with a wide range of godly powers that grow and combine in interesting ways as you progress? And what if, instead of going back to zero, you got a little stronger each time with some help from a colorful cast of allies and enemies who remember each of your attempts? That’s Hades’ premise, and the Greek mythology-themed rogue-lite that developer Supergiant has built around it makes going to Hell a joy.

The journey of Zagreus, son of Hades, through the labyrinthine Underworld toward the freedom of the mortal realm unfolds from an isometric perspective as you take on hordes of colorfully animated undead that fill the screen with danger in every randomly ordered room you pass through. Fortunately, Zag is a skilled warrior capable of wielding six different weapons, each with four different variants. Each of these Infernal Arms is geared to complement a certain playstyle. Want to get in the thick of it and wreck some demons? Then consider the straightforward Stygian Blade. Prefer to peck at foes from a safe distance? Then channel your inner Artemis and use the bow. Later you’ll unlock a bashing shield, a spear, and more, and each plays significantly differently, creating one of many layers of replayability for Hades.

Regardless of your weapon of choice, Zag can use a dash to dart out of trouble or to get into a more advantageous position. And let me tell you -- few things in life are as satisfying as a successful last-second dodge that sets you up for stabbing an enemy in the back for bonus damage.
Almost inevitably, the forces of Hades will overwhelm you.

The final mechanic in Zag’s moveset is the cast: a skill-shot based projectile that fires a red jewel into an enemy for a quick burst of damage. The jewel embeds itself into a target, disqualifying you from firing another cast until you kill the enemy and retrieve your ammunition, so shooting it at the biggest, meanest enemy in the room isn’t always the best idea. As with each one of Zag's moves, using it well involves a delicate balance between risk and reward.

Almost inevitably, though, the forces of Hades will overwhelm you eventually, and every death sends Zag back home to start over from scratch, save for persistent currencies and progress in relationships with the wonderful cast of characters who inhabit the Underworld, from lord Hades himself all the way down. So you’re going to be spending a lot of time getting to know everyone -- and it’s time very well spent.
QUESTION
Which Greek God is the G.O.A.T.?
Answer
See Results
Zeus

Ares

Athena

Artemis

Poseidon

Hermes

Zag is a rebellious heartthrob trying to find his place in the world between Hades and Mount Olympus. His sympathetic coming-of-age story brought me in, but I fell in love with his tongue-in-cheek musings on the world around him and snarky back-and-forth with the disembodied voice of the Narrator.
Each personality feels like an authentic reinterpretation of a classic Greek myth, and they’re all a joy to behold.

But the heart and soul of Hades, outside of its combat, lies in Zag’s interaction with various deities and mythic figures from Greek myth, like Achilles, Orpheus, and more. It turns out that adding a dash of dating simulator mechanics to a rogue-lite was the secret sauce in making good use of a large cast of interesting characters. Each personality feels like an authentic reinterpretation of a classic Greek myth, and they’re all a joy to behold. For instance, instead of painting Sisyphus as a tragic character, he's an optimist who you encounter on a break while the gods aren’t watching. Even his boulder (affectionately known as Bouldy) sports a carved smile that reacts in silence upon interaction. Investing in Zag’s relationships with each character paves the way for interesting backstory reveals, world-building, new sidequests, or even items to assist on your future escape attempts.

Not only are conversations and side stories actively engaging -- attempting to reunite Achilles with his life-long partner, Patroclus, or Orpheus with his long-lost muse Euridice, are genuinely moving and hearken back to the kind of melodrama the ancient Greeks were so good at -- there are also gameplay benefits! Advancing these relationships far enough grants you persistent keepsakes and companions, which are both invaluable tools in aiding Zag's quest to run away from home. Of course, not all keepsakes are as useful as others; given the choice between the Lucky Tooth that grants you an additional chance at life if you’re killed or Olympic keepsakes that increase your chance at better drops, I’m going with a second life every time.
Hades Screenshots
ss-5e52844b891b54608eb51a850d6b53313eeed

ss-8e07e477fa7ff2f88c8984bc89b9652a655da
31 IMAGES
ss-34e6660705cfe47d2b2f95189c37f7cb77f75
ss-217b70678a2eea71a974fba1a4cd8baa66058
ss-68300459a8c3daacb2ec687adcdbf4442fcc4
ss-aba35768a26b11c361ba0227b5997f6b9f9c4
Something that’s truly special and unusual about Hades is that Supergiant Games uses these persistent relationships to travel the difficult path of marrying story to gameplay, and in doing so elevates the simple loop of Zag's escape into something more than the sum of its parts. Within the world of most rogue-lites, a failed run is not typically seen as part of the story (with apologies to Rogue Legacy). But in Hades, a death leads to Zag returning home to mockery (usually from Papa Hades). This transforms something as fundamental as death from a video game-y failure state into in-game world building. Characters remember your triumphs and failures with a staggering amount of incidental dialogue that made me feel like I was constantly chipping away at new content within Zagreus’ story even when I failed. After a while I no longer feared death, I embraced it as an opportunity to learn and revist friends back in the House of Hades to see if they have something new to say.
I no longer feared death, I embraced it as an opportunity to learn and revist friends back in the House of Hades.

Losing the fear of death is important, because you’re going to do a lot of dying. I didn’t manage a successful escape until attempt 31 (which I hear is roughly the average...I hope). Fortunately, while things with the citizens of the Underworld might be complicated, Zag’s aunts, uncles, and cousins up on Olympus are eager to assist his rebellion thanks in equal part to genuine familial care and wanting to rub Lord Hades’ nose in it if you eventually succeed. Their aid comes in the form of boons (run-specific tokens from the gods that grant Zag godly power-ups) that modify to Zag’s abilities, making every run feel new and unique. Some are smaller, min-max stat-worthy benefits that often feel like a daily vitamin -- you’re not sure you notice the difference they make as you play, but they stack up over time and make all the behind-the-scenes numbers larger in your favor, so it’s probably a good thing.

And of course, during each run you also build your relationships with the Gods of Olympus by offering them tokens of appreciation in the form of nectar and ambrosia that you collect, which also grant you access to their own collection of keepsakes and up the chances of receiving rare, epic, and heroic variants of their boons with progressively better stats.

Those familiar with Greek myth are already aware of the fickle nature of the gods.Every now and then, treks through Hades present Zag with a Trial of the Gods, a chamber that allows you to select one of two different deities to commune with. Poseidon may be your bestie early on in your quest, but choose Dionysus over him in a later Trial and he won’t hesitate to make your life a living hell in this particular chamber. Your reward, should you survive, is possessing two different boons at once as opposed to the typical one.
The Best Modern PC Games (Summer 2020 Update)
<h2>The Best Modern PC Games</h2> <h3>(August 2020 Update)</h3>With 2020 more than halfway over, and plenty of great PC releases over the past couple of years, we thought it was high time to revisit our picks for the best PC games you can play right now.<br><br>To be clear, this list does not attempt to pick out the “best” or “most influential” PC games of all time, since comparing the gameplay of the original DOOM to its 2016 reboot isn’t exactly fair. Nor is it a list of the most popular games out there, or the top games in every genre. No, this is a list of games from the last decade that we at IGN - after plenty of internal debate - collectively recommend the most, based on our own tastes. Think of it as our staff’s personal recommendations to you for games we think you should play if you haven’t. To that end, these are our picks for the best modern PC games.<br><br>Let us know <a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/best-pc-games#comments-section">in the comments</a> or <a href="https://twitter.com/IGN">on Twitter</a> what made your list that didn't make ours!

<h3>25. Horizon Zero Dawn (Complete Edition)</h3>One of the best PS4 games finally made its way to PC this summer, Horizon Zero Dawn and it's icy expansion The Frozen Wilds provide dozens of hours of action and exploration. Boasting a satisfying crafting and RPG-inspired progression system, its massive post-post-apocalyptic world is full to bursting, with plenty of "ancient" secrets to uncover and monstrous machines to hunt or hone your combat skills against, all wrapped up in a compelling story that not only sets the stage for the upcoming sequel, Forbidden West, but provides an intriguing new take on life after the collapse of modern society.<br>While PC enthusiasts who demand nothing short of 4K/60FPS at all times may want to wait for another round of performance updates (you can <a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-port-analysis">read our full analysis of the PC port here</a>), Horizon is an exceptional adventure that's not to be missed.<br><br><i><a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-review">Read IGN's full Horizon Zero Dawn review here.</a></i>
26 IMAGES
<h3>24. Control</h3>Control, in many ways, feels like the culmination of Remedy’s design ideas from its past several games distilled down to their best versions and melded together for one trippy, enthralling adventure. Jesse Faden’s story of infiltrating the Federal Bureau of Control’s offices comes complete with a stellar set of abilities befitting any good telepath, a propulsive, strange story with a memorable cast and unexpected twists, and a fascinating location that feels rooted in a sense of history.<br> Remedy has filled Control’s world with little details that make its stranger ideas really land, giving unexpected life to every corner of its office building veneer. Just like its main location, the Oldest House, much more lies beneath the surface of Control, and its mysteries are worth fully exploring. Also, the PC is currently the only place to play with ray tracing enabled, giving the world a more realistic and yet more otherworldly appearance. Maybe that’s why it won our 2019 Game of the Year award?<br><br><i><a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/26/control-review-2">Read IGN's full Control review here.</a></i>
<h3>23. Overwatch</h3>With an amazing lineup of memorable characters and meticulously balanced abilities, Overwatch is a shooter that bobs and weaves almost perfectly between being the quick-fix adrenaline hit you might want after a long day of work, and the thoughtful, strategic multiplayer experience that becomes the center of evening-long binges with friends. It might not have the most exhaustive list of maps and modes, but the offerings grow with every new seasonal event, and what's already there provides nearly endless opportunities for exhilarating, coordinated play.<br> Overwatch won our 2016 Game of the Year Award, and Blizzard’s trademark polish and commitment to community have kept it as something that we’ve revisited regularly for years.<br><br><i><a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/overwatch-review-2020-update">Read IGN's full 2020 Overwatch review update here.</a></i>
<h3>22. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim</h3>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an awe-inspiring journey where the fantasy world is your plaything. What its main story quest lacks in nuance it more than makes up for with its invitation to go anywhere and do anything. Set out in any direction to explore a vast kingdom filled with people going about their daily lives, warring factions, and dangerous wildlife that ranges from wild dogs to imposing giants and full-fledged dragons. <br>Out there you’ll find stellar sidequests that allow you to become a vampire or werewolf, join the legendary Dark Brotherhood, and countless other unexpected opportunities as you level up and unlock satisfyingly powerful spells and Dragon Shouts. And of course, with this being the PC version, you have access to a nearly unrivaled collection of transformative mods at your fingertips. <br><br><i><a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/10/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review">Read IGN's full Skyrim review here.</a></i>
<h3>21. Sid Meier's Civilization VI</h3>You can’t go too far wrong with any of the main games from Sid Meier’s seminal Civilization series, but with the Gathering Storm expansion, Civilization VI has taken its seat as one of the finest. Like all five iterations before it, Civ VI lets you pave your people’s way from nomadic tribespeople to sprawling near-future empire in competition or cooperation with neighbors, this time guided by narration from the undying Sean Bean himself.<br> But here, a distinctive approach to city building in which major structures like specialized districts and Wonders are placed on their own tiles gives it a distinctive flavor, and the newly added climate change mechanics add new long-term environmental considerations throughout and hazards that manifest in the late game. It’s also come as close as any game in the series to giving its AI leaders definitive and interesting personalities (which is not to say they’re perfect!). <br><br><i><a href="https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/26/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-review">Read IGN's full Civilization VI review here.</a></i>
Sometimes the gods play nice together. Say, for example, you have the Curse of Agony from Ares, a boon that allows you to inflict doom status (which inflicts an additional burst of damage after a brief period of time) on an enemy with normal attacks. But if, upon clearing another chamber you find Athena’s Divine Dash (which upgrades your dash move to deflect incoming attacks) a rare duo boon will activate, combining the strengths of both into one convenient package. In this case it creates Merciful End, which inflicts any enemy hit with a deflected attack with doom status. These combinations of powers are wonderful surprises.
And let me tell you, that rabbit hole runs deep.

And let me tell you, that rabbit hole runs deep. There are a ton of different boons and combinations to earn, and you’ll still be seeing new ones after dozens of runs. Like any good roguelike, Hades forces you to make difficult decisions that either complement your current build or throw caution to the wind and attempt a riskier build that could pay off four chambers down the line...if you survive long enough and luck into the boon you’re hoping for.

All of that feeds into Hades’ impressive replayability. Once again, I’m blown away by the staggering amount of content within Hades. While you may face the same bosses over and over again, they too will adapt to your increase in power level. Whether it be in the form of Street Fighter-style assists from siblings, sprouting new heads, or fancy new armor, repeated encounters with bosses felt fresh because of these clever modifications to how they fight. It makes sense within the fiction as well, considering the bosses remember their past failures and successes against you. Each fight is like a rematch between rivals rather than a repeat.
Top 25 Nintendo Switch Games
Three years later and the Nintendo Switch continues to hold its own against the Xbox One and PS4. If the little hybrid handheld has proven anything, it’s that a console is truly defined by what you can play on it. These are the 25 best games available on Nintendo Switch.</br></br>  Written by IGN Staff

<h3>25. Ring Fit Adventure</h3>Sure, exercising is good for you, but it’s got two pretty big drawbacks: one, it costs a lot of money to join a gym and, two, it’s kind of boring. Ring Fit Adventure fixes both of those problems by gamifying exercise and letting you work out from home while somehow making the entire experience feel like a fun, casual RPG. By strapping the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con to your leg and with the strange, brilliant new Ring-Con peripheral, Ring Fit encourages you to use your whole body to battle monsters, collect coins, level up, and push past your personal bests — all while giving you a serious workout within the confines of your living room. It proves that exercising can be fun — especially when it’s thousands of dollars cheaper than hiring a personal trainer, too.
26 IMAGES
<h3>24. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker</h3> Some folks say that there are too many Wii U ports coming to Switch. Those people have obviously never played Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. This phenomenal spin off is charming, challenging, and downright cute on any platform, and time. I mean, look at his little vest!
<h3>23. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)</h3>With its charming, toyetic visual style and bizarrely dark undertones, the vast island of Koholint in The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening has never looked better than it does on Nintendo Switch. Link’s shipwrecked adventure on a mysterious island rife with eccentric characters and sprawling dungeons has always been one of the stranger Zelda stories, and this remake allows new audiences and aging fans alike to appreciate it on a modern system. It modernizes the classic beloved Zelda game with a shiny new coat of paint, some excellent quality of life improvements, and loads more hidden collectibles but, ultimately, its greatest accomplishment is retaining the weird, haunting, beautiful feeling of the original Game Boy game.
<h3>22. Astral Chain</h3>Astral Chain is PlatinumGames at their best. It’s got it all: a unique story; deep character customization with a variety of play styles, and - of course - power-armored robot pets. On top of all that, it’s got some of the most satisfying, challenging, and fast-paced combat you'll see on the Nintendo Switch. If you’re a fan of other PlatinumGames like Bayonetta, Vanquish, or Nier: Automata, Astral Chain won’t disappoint.
<h3>21. Hollow Knight</h3> Hollow Knight can be incredibly demanding, but you get way more back than what you put into it. The expertly crafted Metroidvania map that is the kingdom of Hallownest has an absurd amount of paths to explore, bosses to fight, and secrets to uncover. That's all drawn in a somber but expressive art style that gives the adorable bug people who live their lives, and stories, of their own.
Like me, after a couple of successful escapes you may find yourself thinking, “How can I make subsequent attempts harder?” Enter the Pacts of Punishment, a challenge board that allows you to activate a number of modifiers to make Hades even more challenging. Toggling one on adds allows you to earn new rewards, making every playthrough fresh and exciting. You’re constantly given incentive to shake up your playstyle, whether it be through rewarding you with a currency buff for using weapons you don’t normally use, or completing objectives within a scroll known as the “Fated List of Minor Prophecies.” (Get it? The optional objectives known as prophecies will eventually come true, it’s just a matter of time.)
You're constantly given incentive to shake up your playstyle.

I rolled credits on Hades at approximately 48 hours and I’m still met with new storylines, challenges, and side stories to tackle -- and a peak at the achievement list teases an epilogue I’ve yet to discover how to unlock.

The Music of Hades

Supergiant Games is known for its musical craft: Bastion’s somber tones of a world lost, Transistor’s lounge-singer popstar lyrics soaked in sorrow, and Pyre’s epic poem-esque melodies are a constant in my Spotify playlist. It should surprise no one that the music of Hades is unlike any of those, but still of the same caliber as composer Darren Korb’s memorable compositions. Hades is a blend of Rock n’ Lute, a melodic partnership between old and new that always pumps me up for my next journey through the Underworld. A lot of the music is diegetic, meaning it exists within the world of Hades, in that it’s usually sung as a hymn from the legendary musician Orpheus.

At the same time, Hades’ score is decidedly understated relative to Supergiant’s previous games, but it all comes together to serve the tone and characters of the underworld. I think the highest compliment I can pay to the Hades soundtrack is that it simply belongs. I didn’t know what Euridice the Muse sounded like, but hearing her sing a lonely tune in an alcove of Asphodel just felt right.

Verdict

Hades is a one-of-a-kind rogue-lite that sets the bar for creatively combining wildly different genres together and using their strengths to complement each other in unexpected ways. Its blend of satisfying, twitch-based action with countless modifiers to build replayability, dating simulator-esque character interactions, and turning failure into a thing you look forward to as a means of progressing the story coalesce to an experience that is more than the sum of its parts. Hades skillfully navigates the millenia-old baggage of ancient characters, reinterpreted through a contemporary lens that feels like they’re straight out of some animated series that’s way ahead of its time. I’m now over 50 hours in, 70 escape attempts deep and I can’t stop thinking about my next trip to Hell. Hades is an experience I never want to end.

9.0 from GS

The Good
The way story and gameplay intertwine makes Hades a standout roguelike
Precise and layered combat makes coming back to hell engaging for hours
Characters, world, and individual plotlines are interesting, well-developed, and keep you motivated to in both the story and gameplay
Fantastic postgame progression and storylines make playing the game after beating it a joy

The Bad
The Switch's smaller screen creates some general readability issues with combat and text
Climatic moments are spread out, which means the story can be a slow burn at times

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/hades-review-to-hell-and-back-again-and-again/1900-6417568/