Rumor: Seems like the RTX 3090 is only going to be ~10% faster than the 3080

ODXZSms.png

On paper it was only 20% faster to begin with, but I was expecting ~15% on average real world performance.

I'm going to wait for reviews, because other leaks are putting it around 20% faster...but if that's the case, then I'll just get a 3080, overclock it and be done with it.  If the reviews show better overclockablity with a higher power limit, then I'll still consider it.

Edited by Remij
44 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

And yah,  it’s looking like the only thing that can keep the 3090 intriguing to gamers would be much higher power limits.

The 3080 power limits are pretty weak,  even all the AIB 3080’s.  Wouldn’t be surprised it that’s a direct order from Nvidia to make the 3090 more desirable 

Well, another leak pointed to it being a full 20% better pretty much, but I'm not sure I believe it... as you said, unless raising the power limit allows the card to really shine.

In my mind, it HAS to be more than just 7-10% for the price they are asking.  Especially when you consider a 20GB 3080 will be coming relatively soon.  The GPU cooler is so much more massive than the 3080... there's got to be more going on there than just a paltry 30w TDP increase.  Nvidia probably didn't want to advertise a card at more than 350w, so they limited the board at that.. but it looks like that cooler is equipped to handle much more than that.

Like I said, I'm going to wait for the reviews to see what's up.  I've got no problem with going with a 3080.. especially if it's just 10%.  Fuck that.  I'll OC it and call it a day.

11 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

I don't know why you're upgrading your monster rig. The gains still seem fairly trivial. 

30-40% over the 2080ti isn't a small gain imo.  Then again these boards are really power limited so they don't really OC as well as I was expecting... so OC for OC my 2080ti gains a bit of ground.. but I'd still like to have a new card... I've had the 2080ti for 2 years and I'm getting the itch for something different tbh.

If the 3090 is more than just 10% and more like 15-20%, I'll buy it for sure.. but that's it.  If it's less than that, I'll get the 3080 and upgrade some other things.

EVGA FTW3 has three 8-pin connectors, and people are saying that you can flash the card's BIOS to allow it to draw more power.

And I think EVGA's spokesman is also confirming that it can draw more power:

uw02io5d48o51.jpg

I was able to place an order to Adorama this Friday for two cards: An EVGA XC3 with a metal backplate, and a FTW3 Ultra with a metal backplate.

Also, EVGA is going to either have those Taylor Swift red lipstick endplates changed out by the time they ship their cards, or they will mail you the replacements if you request it from them. Then its just a matter of painting that red line on the backplate.

Edited by jehurey
23 hours ago, jehurey said:

EVGA FTW3 has three 8-pin connectors, and people are saying that you can flash the card's BIOS to allow it to draw more power.

And I think EVGA's spokesman is also confirming that it can draw more power:

uw02io5d48o51.jpg

I was able to place an order to Adorama this Friday for two cards: An EVGA XC3 with a metal backplate, and a FTW3 Ultra with a metal backplate.

Also, EVGA is going to either have those Taylor Swift red lipstick endplates changed out by the time they ship their cards, or they will mail you the replacements if you request it from them. Then its just a matter of painting that red line on the backplate.

440w 

that’s pretty solid

5136984E-3AC7-4782-8EE9-AB260DDC98EB.png