Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Best way to buy a PC - play a never ending waiting game for the next hardware which is 5-10% better than the stuff out now but for the same price, but once that comes out you know if you wait a year it will be 5% better again so don't bother upgrading. I've been using my shit for 8 years and counting. 

 

:ben:

 

I actually like the surface stuff, seems about as sleek as 'windows' laptop get. I also quite like Dell, work bought me a firepro to do CAD and simulation stuff and it was pretty beefy for a laptop, played City skylines quite well. The rest of the brands are all about the same, HP...Lenovo....I have a Lenovo laptop for work, its a basic bitch laptop. Spilt a bottle of Dr Pepper over it (hermit style) and it still works although the mousepad fucks with me a lot now. 

 

TL:DR I don't know what to tell you. Maybe Dell if you don't want Surface stuff. 

Edited by Cell
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cell said:

Best way to buy a PC - play a never ending waiting game for the next hardware which is 5-10% better than the stuff out now but for the same price, but once that comes out you know if you wait a year it will be 5% better again so don't bother upgrading. I've been using my shit for 8 years and counting. 

 

:ben:

 

I actually like the surface stuff, seems about as sleek as 'windows' laptop get. I also quite like Dell, work bought me a firepro to do CAD and simulation stuff and it was pretty beefy for a laptop, played City skylines quite well. The rest of the brands are all about the same, HP...Lenovo....I have a Lenovo laptop for work, its a basic bitch laptop. Spilt a bottle of Dr Pepper over it (hermit style) and sit still works all the mousepad fucks with me a lot now. 

 

TL:DR I don't know what to tell you. Maybe Dell if you don't want Surface stuff. 

leaning towards a Zen book. It's pretty good looking and has the specs I'm looking for. The HDD is smaller than I'm used to but also going to pair it with an external HDD so it's fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Liquid said:

leaning towards a Zen book. It's pretty good looking and has the specs I'm looking for. The HDD is smaller than I'm used to but also going to pair it with an external HDD so it's fine. 

 

I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from ASUS. Why don't you just use Cloud or NAS if you have storage concerns? Onedrive is great, although it does seem to fucking insist on automatically syncing with local 'photos' and 'documents' folders, so you know where to not put your bank details and dick pics. 

Edited by Cell
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cell said:

 

I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from ASUS. Why don't you just use Cloud or NAS if you have storage concerns? Onedrive is great, although it does seem to fucking insist on automatically syncing with local 'photos' and 'documents' folders, so you know where to not put your bank details and dick pics. 

I have OneDrive, Drive, Adobe, and Dropbox. I deal with RAW files locally and use cloud sites for transferring since those are jpegs but locally keep files on HDDs as backup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're looking for the following:

 

16 GB ram. Minimum.
 

 

Dual SSD slots (typically you get an NVME drive, and then a 2.5 SATA) 

 

a sold Intel CP. Note:  The 10K Intel series CPU's have the potential to get really hot - so keep an eye on that during your reviews; not a guarantee, just something to look out for.

 

 

As many USB Thunderbolt 3 ports as possible. For your needs you're gonna want them, and a lot of entry-level mid-tier laptops can get shorted here.

 

 

Strong battery life:  when set to battery+wifi it, should be 4.5 hours or more. It's possible to get 8 hours depending on the model.

 

If you're going for a GPU (editing, games, etc), the 2xxx series require a much larger powersupply, due to their draw, and as a result increase heat, and decrease battery life.

For that reason, either stick with the 1660 Ti (slightly weaker than a 2060, but no RTX), or wait until the next upgrade when they figure out which 3xxx series will be placed inside their laptops.

 

 

Sorry I couldn't be anymore specific, but I haven't really looked at them since I bought mine in May. :] 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kokujin said:

Well, we do suggest with going ahead and killing yourself.  Ironically the most practical advice is you and Z should go shopping together. You buy the same shit, cornball. 

200.gif

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

You're looking for the following:

 

16 GB ram. Minimum.
 

 

Dual SSD slots (typically you get an NVME drive, and then a 2.5 SATA) 

 

a sold Intel CP. Note:  The 10K Intel series CPU's have the potential to get really hot - so keep an eye on that during your reviews; not a guarantee, just something to look out for.

 

 

As many USB Thunderbolt 3 ports as possible. For your needs you're gonna want them, and a lot of entry-level mid-tier laptops can get shorted here.

 

 

Strong battery life:  when set to battery+wifi it, should be 4.5 hours or more. It's possible to get 8 hours depending on the model.

 

If you're going for a GPU (editing, games, etc), the 2xxx series require a much larger powersupply, due to their draw, and as a result increase heat, and decrease battery life.

For that reason, either stick with the 1660 Ti (slightly weaker than a 2060, but no RTX), or wait until the next upgrade when they figure out which 3xxx series will be placed inside their laptops.

 

 

Sorry I couldn't be anymore specific, but I haven't really looked at them since I bought mine in May. :] 

LOL You're exactly right. Currently eyeing 16gb ram, 512gb SDD single drive. I see some have dual drives but honestly if it means it being lighter having only one. I'll bight the bullet.

 

One thing is whether to get a AMD processor as I've seen more laptops with Ryzen 7 chips and vidcards than models with i7 and videocards. I dont game and photo/video editing is more CPU than GPU although Lightroom and maybe also photoshop have some form of GPU options for performance enhancing. Not sure if Thunderbolt is make it break it for me. So far nothing I use has require one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...