New PSVR Controllers Show Inside-Out Tracking, Index-Like Design In Fresh Patent

New-PSVR-Controllers-Patent.png

The Japanese filing, first spotted by Let’s Go Digital, includes detailed diagrams of the devices from various angles. Though the text is in Japanese and we can’t translate, the designs do seem consistent with a number of other patents and research filings we’ve seen out of Sony in the past few years.
The controllers, for example, look very similar to Valve’s Index Controllers, with a side-mounted ring that would likely house sensors for 6DOF tracking. The main grip for the controllers definitely looks like it could imitate the Index Controllers’ finger-tracking technology too. Earlier this year, we discovered a Sony research video that confirmed the company was working on such technology.
Those frustrated with the original PSVR’s Move controllers will be happy to hear these new PSVR controllers sport analogue sticks too. Plus there are what looks like two face buttons and two smaller buttons that could perhaps mirror the PS5’s ‘Share’ and ‘Options’ buttons. It’s interesting to note that, overall, this is a fewer amount of buttons that on the original Move controllers, making us wonder how and if these controllers might accommodate old PS4 VR games.

New-PSVR-Controllers-Patent-Diagram-2-15
53 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

I wonder if they will let you use PSVR1 for old games. 

they already said that PSVR1 works on the PS5, and you can even connect the last-gen PS4 camera.

Wish it had more buttons, and the triggers look fantastic. The analog sticks look like they're shrunken down to almost Vita-level, but I hope they still click.

I wonder whatever happened to their idea of the sensor detecting whether or not your finger was wrapping over the handle, and when you would move your fingers away. Or maybe its two sets of sensors, at the handle and on the outer ring.

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

they already said that PSVR1 works on the PS5, and you can even connect the last-gen PS4 camera.

Wish it had more buttons, and the triggers look fantastic. The analog sticks look like they're shrunken down to almost Vita-level, but I hope they still click.

I wonder whatever happened to their idea of the sensor detecting whether or not your finger was wrapping over the handle, and when you would move your fingers away. Or maybe its two sets of sensors, at the handle and on the outer ring.

I'm gonna be honest.. in VR, you really don't want more buttons than that.  It can quickly become a chore figuring out which button your finger is over to press it sometimes.  Anything more than two main buttons on either controller would be too much to handle in the heat of VR gaming.  That's my opinion of course, but it seems like they understand it.  I like how theirs a big main button, and a smaller button below it which will help the player differentiate by feel alone.  Triggers and finger tracking are far more important... and it looks like this will have an interesting setup.

They're probably working on many designs, so this is likely not final anyway.. but it's looking good.