Final Fantasy XVI is M rated

26 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Would be interesting, but it's a year+ off and this is just a provisional rating. Wouldn't surprise me to see Square push for changes to get the rating down.

This is likely true.

Hopefully not though.  I liked that it seemed more brutal and mature than previous entries.

33 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Would be interesting, but it's a year+ off and this is just a provisional rating. Wouldn't surprise me to see Square push for changes to get the rating down.

eh, im pretty sure most people who buy FF games nowadays have been fans of the series long enough to be 17 or older.

the trailer had some harsh moments. they are doing the right things with this one, only gripe i have would be no party only the main guy seeking revenge but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

eh, im pretty sure most people who buy FF games nowadays have been fans of the series long enough to be 17 or older.

Most != all. Fewer people are going to avoid buying the game because it's T rated rather than M, so the suits in Square corporate are going to want the widest possible audience for their flagship title.

The guard getting murdered in front of the kid was pretty bloody and I'm not sure how hard a scene like that hits without the blood (the sound and body going rag doll gets the point across, but it's definitely an inferior artistic route), so I get the rating based on what we've seen. To me, though, the game being likely year or more away and already getting a provisional rating screams Square wanting to work with ratings boards to push that rating down than any kind of indication that this is the target rating. I'd love to be wrong, though. Sephiroth's smoky stabs were pretty dumb.

Just now, Hot Sauce said:

Most != all. Fewer people are going to avoid buying the game because it's T rated rather than M, so the suits in Square corporate are going to want the widest possible audience for their flagship title.

The guard getting murdered in front of the kid was pretty bloody and I'm not sure how hard a scene like that hits without the blood (the sound and body going rag doll gets the point across, but it's definitely an inferior artistic route), so I get the rating based on what we've seen. To me, though, the game being likely year or more away and already getting a provisional rating screams Square wanting to work with ratings boards to push that rating down than any kind of indication that this is the target rating. I'd love to be wrong, though. Sephiroth's smoky stabs were pretty dumb.

Almost all of the games topping sales charts nowadays are M rated (outside of sports/nintendo games). I doubt it would have much of an impact on sales overall.

And I feel like SE has been trying to head this direction for a bit now. FFXV was marketed at the start as a darker & grittier FF (though the final product didn't really go far enough) and FF7:R had its share of surprisingly violent moments.

It’ll be a soft M rating which means there’ll just be depictions of killings with actual blood shown and that’s about it.

Square already made an M rated FF game with Type 0 and it was incredibly tame it might as well have been a T

• Upvote 1