Need some overlooked/underrated horror games to check out this Halloween? I got you covered

Daymare 1998

daymare-1998-1581082341913.jpg?width=128

Yes, its kind of a budget RE3 knock off. But, this game does so many things well that its easy to forgive. It moves at a very good pace, the puzzles are clever, and its got some incredibly atmospheric levels that put the RE3 remake to shame (they do SO MUCH more with the city and hospital levels than RE3, trust me). The best decision Capcom could make is buying up this team or merging them into their own RE studio.

Observation

WCCFobservation3.jpg

This is more of a Sci Fi thriller more than anything else, but it still has enough unsettling moments to warrant being on this list. This game has incredibly production and atmosphere for a small indie game. The concept is simple, you're basically a space station's AI module and your goal is to guide this lady through a (seemingly) abandoned and malfunctioning space station as she tries to discover what exactly happened and where her crewmates are. This was one of my favorite games of last year, and anyone with an ounce of interest in this type of setting should give it a try.

Detention

d-fp1__huge.jpg

Don't let the simple art style fool you, this game is grim and dark af. Its the shortest game on this list (you can beat it in 3-4 hours) but it rarely slows and accomplishes so much in that time frame, and tells a really moving story thats one of my favorites in recent memory. Also worth mentioning that is the same team that went on to make Devotion, the game that was expunged from the internet because Chinese communists can't handle a joke.

will probably update this list at some point.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

is the popular steam early access game Phasmophobia?

Its supposed to be like PT.

It runs as a regular PC game, but also has VR capability.

I wouldn't call it PT-like. It's more like a ghost hunting party game that doesn't have much in the way of solo appeal.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

I debated putting it on the list. While its a Triple A game with a far bigger budget than any of these, I don't think it was as successful as it deserved to be. 

What does that have to do wether or not it should be on the list?  It's scary as fuck and a damn good game.  

2 hours ago, lostfool said:

What does that have to do wether or not it should be on the list?  It's scary as fuck and a damn good game.  

I think its because the game sucks overall. 

36 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Cry of Fear if you’re looking for a co-op shooter. I had more jumpscares in this than any other game. Bit of a pain to get running though.

Jump scares hardly belong in good horror, but if you want garbage, then sure. It's basically what cry of fear is, garbage game and even worse story. :trash: 

Edited by kazi

Little Nightmares

2934938-littlenightmares.jpg

Yes, its not really a traditional horror game. This is more of a platformer/puzzler more than anything else, but it still has a immersive, unique atmosphere complimented by some really unsettling imagery and art design (just look at that enemy). Its not perfect, but I enjoyed my time with this game and theres a sequel coming out early next year that will hopefully take this idea to the next level.

15 hours ago, Ike said:

Non-VR horror games :geese:

i take psychological survival horror games with a story over cheap jump scares any time. :mj:  

Penumbra Black Plague

bp2.png

This series is where it all started for Frictional, creators of Amnesia and SOMA. At the time, a western developer (espeically an indie studio made up of a half dozen dudes) putting out an excellent horror game just seemed almost unheard of. But not only did they manage to do it, looking back this might actually be the most scared i've ever been in a game, period. The whole idea of having to run away and hide from creatures that you couldn't defend yourself against was still an incredibly novel concept, but they managed to pull that off before Amnesia made that mechanic popular. Then there were the physics based puzzles and interactions. This game honestly has some of my favorite puzzles ever, and I don't feel like the studio was able to top them in their subsequent games. I don't think the game has aged that well from what i've seen, but if there's any property that needs a remake or some kind of continuation, then this series is at the top of that list for me.