Now that the Next Generation is almost upon us, I thought I'd give my take on the Current Gen overall

Honestly, this generation has been great.  There have been tons of great games throughout the generation.  This was also the generation of big change in the industry.. from MS going multiplatform to Sony expanding some of their games to PC now as well.  Nintendo released a complete dud in the WiiU, but came back incredibly strong with the Switch.  This is also the gen though, in which I've decided that I'm done with consoles.  There's just not enough separating all these platforms anymore, besides the Switch and Nintendo's own games.  I greatly prefer PC, so that's where I'm at now.  There's been lots of good tech and innovation.  Half Life Alyx in VR is unlike anything else.  Sony has a killer platformer now on the level of Nintendo too with AstroBot.  MS has changed course to better suit their platforms and have expanded their developer diversity.  They have some absolutely killer games that I love too.  Forza Horizon 4 is one of my top 10 fav games of the gen, they've finally listened to PC players and are bringing everything to Steam day 1.

So, without going too crazy here's a quick list of some of the things I'd put in their respective categories.

Best Graphics:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1597419522

Red Dead Redemption 2 - This was a tough one.. on one hand God of War looks absolutely amazing as well, as does TLOU2.. Forza Horizon 4 looks insane for how quickly you travel through the world.. and Control and Metro Exodus look incredible with their RT effects which really pushed the technological limits.  But in the end, I have to give this to RDR2.  It's visuals and overall package are just incredible for a game of this scale.  The way all it's various systems work together to create this absolutely beautiful landscape and characters that react to it in consistently interesting ways.  This was one of those games that felt like a preview of the future, and you couldn't quite believe how they managed to pull it off on current gen.  Vast draw distances, great character animations and cutscenes, completely dynamic lighting, all the tech boxes are checked here and look phenomenal.  Also, being in native 4K was a huge surprise.  They really pulled it off.  Can't wait to see what Rockstar does next gen.

Runner Ups:

-God of War
-The Last of Us 2
-Forza Horizon 4
-Metro Exodus

-Control

Best OST:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1580863858

Celeste - What can I say.. this game is phenomenal.  It's extremely well put together, polished, has a very cool story, and a nice little twist.... but it's the OST that steals the show for me.  It manages to perfectly encapsulate the feeling of the world and the characters within it.  I really fucking love this OST.  

Resurrections

Mellow - Mirror Temple

Runner Ups:

-Bloodborne

-Dark Souls 3

-Undertale

-Nier Automata

Best VR games:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1594314571

Half Life Alyx - This game is something else.  The controls are incredible, the feeling of immersion is there.. it's brimming with ideas and applies all the best VR practices into one game.  Amazing visuals, and stellar sound design round out the package.  This is the game that sells VR.  It just sucks that the best way to experience it costs at least $500 - $700+ and a powerful PC.. but it is what it is.  Eventually more people will play it.

Runner Ups:

-Astrobot Rescue Mission
-Beat Saber
-Moss
-Lone Echo

Best Indie Game:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1580863858

Celeste - Once again, this was a tough one, as there are TONS of amazing indie games out there.  But overall I just had a great time playing Celeste and vibing with the music.. challenging myself to continue on to beat the harder levels.  Truly a great game.

Runner Ups:
-INSIDE
-Undertale
-Hollow Knight
-Hades
-The Binding of Isaac Rebirth

Best Game Trailer:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This wins hands down.  The hype I got from this trailer was like nothing else this gen.  The music is just... PERFECT.

Runner Ups:

The Witcher 3: Trailer

Metal Gear Solid 5: Trailer

The Last of Us 2: Trailer

Resident Evil 2 Remake: Trailer

Best CGI for a Game:

Diablo IV - Yea, this is a fucking no brainer.  Blizzard are top of the pops when it comes to kickass CGI cinematics, and this one proves that they are still on top.  Incredible visuals, great performance capture, and awesome sound.  THIS is a cinematic!

Runner Ups:

The Witcher 3: CGI Trailer

FF15: CGI Trailer

Biggest Disappointment of the Gen:

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-available-now-E

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - Yep... this is my choice without a doubt.  This was one of the games I had been waiting on for over 15 years.  Sabo warned me not to get too hype about it.. but everything they showed looked really great.  Better than I was ever really expecting... but then I played it through to completion... and it dropped the ball hard for me.  Not going to spoil anything obviously.. but to say it disappointed me is an understatement.  This game just simply didn't turn out to be what I wanted.

Runner Ups:
I dunno... nothing really disappoints me unless it's something that I had super high expectations for.  I suppose there were a fair share of disappointing games... but nothing else besides FF7 that I can remember really wanting to call out lol.

Biggest Ownage of the Gen:

The Lemmings - This one is obvious.  The lemmings took a hard beating this generation.  Getting blown out by Sony in sales, dropping the ball with their exclusive games, and a reorganization of the companies priorities towards services and multiple platforms.  The Lemmings all but died.  But they are resilient.  If Sony couldn't kill them this gen outright... then I don't see how they can do it when MS is buying big studios, making more consumer friendly moves, and spending some big bucks on the gaming division.

Runner up:

The Sheep (WiiU)

Best Developer of the Gen:

From_Logo.jpg

FROM SOFTWARE - With DS2, Bloodborne, DS3, Sekiro, and the upcoming Elden Ring... you can say what you want about the similarities between them... these motherfuckers put out the best games for me personally.  I fucking love their gameplay, their challenge, their style, their art and visuals, their method of story telling... and the music is top notch as well in all their games.

Best Game of the Gen:

t620x300.jpg

Dark Souls 3 - That's right.  FROM SOFTWARE's best game.  This game is the culmination of everything they've learned plus their best technical showing thus far.  Able to run at 60fps on PC with maxed out visuals.. the game looks and sounds just as good as it plays.  Great level design, bosses, and the DLC are some of the best FROM has ever made.

Runner Ups:
-Bloodborne - From's other best game of the gen.  The 30fps brings it down compared to DS3, but this game is essentially on par with DS3, and most people seem to like the aesthetics and lore/story better as well.  Amazing game.  FROM
-Zelda: Breath of the Wild - What can you say.. this game hits all the right notes.  The only thing that could have made this game better would have been a couple bigger dungeons in the style of the previous Zeldas.
-God of War - SSM knocked it out of the park with this daring new take on God of War.  A visual and technical tour de force.. a great story, and combat better than it had any right to be.  This is the best Sony FP game this gen.

Best upcoming current gen games which could change this list:

Elden Ring - Can FROM do it again? (yes, they can)
CP2077 - This is going to be fucking amazing, I'm sure.
Horizon: Forbidden West - Another adventure with Aloy which a LOT of people are looking forward to.
Halo Infinite - Can MS change the lackluster perception around and deliver a Halo befitting of the Chief?

Edited by Remij
  • Thanks 2
  • Remij changed the title to Now that the Next Generation is almost upon us, I thought I'd give my take on the Current Gen overall

godcher 3 was the best game I played this gen. the amount of godly content was unbelievable. 

hearts of stone: gaunter o' dimm was one of the best characters I've ever seen, his scenes really stood out for me. something so evil in a subtle way. and I didn't even see the plot twists coming

Spoiler

for someone who read Faust.

also Triss ---->>> Yen. god, i hated that bitch after hearing so much about her in the other games. I know lot of people like that she's basically a boy-girl bully but I couldn't bring myself to say no to Triss. so cute :dreamy: 

edit: oh and yeah, I agree, only godpunk 2077 has the chance to top godcher 3. CD Project RED :wow: :wow2:  just :wow2: :wow2: what a gen :D :wow2: 

Edited by kazi
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

disagree.

that's all you have to say? lmfao, guess it's true that lemshites don't play games then :kaz: boring loser :kaz: 

It was good, but there are too many bloated open world games. My biggest fear for next gen is that because of the increase in the price of games, publishers are going to find more ways to create bloated open world games with far too much filler, so that gamers will feel like they’re getting enough bang for their buck.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It was good, but there are too many bloated open world games. My biggest fear for next gen is that because of the increase in the price of games, publishers are going to find more ways to create bloated open world games with far too much filler, so that gamers will feel like they’re getting enough bang for their buck.

Yea, that's going to happen for sure in many cases.

I'd love to see devs scale down some of the games, and put more work into polishing a tighter experience.  Put a lot of real detail into everything, and stress physics this coming gen.  I'd love that.

I'm REALLY excited to see what Rockstar can do with a new/upgraded engine and open worlds this coming gen for sure.. and I'm also REALLY excited to see FROMs first true next generation only game.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

I guess you don't actually need to own a PS4 to have a ranking of graphics, based on viewing media.

Yeah.  You didn't need to own one for the first three years either.

My ranking of course, is from my own personal experience.. on my own PS4 Pro  :trump:

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Yeah.  You didn't need to own one for the first three years either.

My ranking of course, is from my own personal experience.. on my own PS4 Pro  :trump:

No, it isn't.

Since you haven't owned a PS4 since 2014.

No point in arguing. I'm the only one who actually proves what they claim.

51 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, it isn't.

Since you haven't owned a PS4 since 2014.

No point in arguing. I'm the only one who actually proves what they claim.

Yea it is.

Wrong.

Right.. no point in arguing.. you're wrong and that's all there is to it :hest: 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea it is.

Wrong.

Right.. no point in arguing.. you're wrong and that's all there is to it :hest: 

No, I'm right. You haven't owned a PS4, nor played its games since 2014.

What isn't being argued is that I'm the one WHO PROVES things..........and you're the one who doesn't.

Just now, jehurey said:

No, I'm right. You haven't owned a PS4, nor played its games since 2014.

What isn't being argued is that I'm the one WHO PROVES things..........and you're the one who doesn't.

There's no point in arguing with you.

You're wrong, and you can't prove you're right.  So just take your loss like the bitch you are and stop trying to argue :cruise: 

• Geese 1
1 minute ago, Remij said:

There's no point in arguing with you.

You're wrong, and you can't prove you're right.  So just take your loss like the bitch you are and stop trying to argue :cruise: 

I'm not the one who needs to be proving something when its YOUR CLAIM.

not to mention I ALREADY PROVED it by showing your PSN profile.

Which made you throw out an even more pathetic claim..............with YOU DIDN'T PROVE that, either.

I'm not losing anything here, dude. Do you actually think your gaslighting is going to work?

You haven't played PS4 games since 2014. Which is quite funny because you were criticizing me for not have a PS4 around Summer 2016, when you didn't even have one. LOL

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I'm not the one who needs to be proving something when its YOUR CLAIM.

not to mention I ALREADY PROVED it by showing your PSN profile.

Which made you throw out an even more pathetic claim..............with YOU DIDN'T PROVE that, either.

I'm not losing anything here, dude. Do you actually think your gaslighting is going to work?

You haven't played PS4 games since 2014. Which is quite funny because you were criticizing me for not have a PS4 around Summer 2016, when you didn't even have one. LOL

Uh.. YOU are the one making the claim that I don't own a PS4 and haven't since 2014... 

And showing my old PSN profile proves nothing except that I haven't used that profile since 2014... LOL 

So yea... you're kinda losing it.  You have no proof to back up YOUR claim.... because that's just what it is... a wrongful claim.

I mean, you're losing so badly you're even going against your own point... which was there's no point in arguing.  You're LITERALLY trying to argue again, right now.

WOW.. you're losing so bad I bet you're going to ask for a recount :cruise: 

Edited by Remij
5 minutes ago, Remij said:

Uh.. YOU are the one making the claim that I don't own a PS4 and haven't since 2014... 

And showing my old PSN profile proves nothing except that I haven't used that profile since 2014... LOL 

So yea... you're kinda losing it.  You have no proof to back up YOUR claim.... because that's just what it is... a wrongful claim.

I mean, you're losing so badly you're even going against your own point... which was there's no point in arguing.  You're LITERALLY trying to argue again, right now.

WOW.. you're losing so bad I bet you're going to ask for a recount :cruise: 

Sorry...........you use my profile to make proclaimations about what I play.

You haven't played PS4 games since 2014. Period.

You ended up making a pathetic, even stupider claim...............and then proceeded to not back it up.

That's not my problem, I didn't force you to say that you play games on your imaginary friends account.

Who are we supposed to believe.........YOU with no actual evidence...........or your LYING playstation profile and our LYING eyes?:tom:

You're getting so mad, you actually now bringing politics into the forum.

Edited by jehurey