Phil Spencer - "Microsoft almost abandoned Xbox brand after the Xbox One launch"

Xbox1 was such a flop for MS... they wanted to exit not only hardware space but gaming completely.... he also points out that everyone at Xbox was jumping ship and that's how the role fell to him.. :omglol:

Do we keep going?

By early 2014, a few months after the Xbox One launch, Whitten had left for Sonos, and Spencer was the one left to pitch the value of the gaming division to newly named Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. "Then the question is, do we go forward with Xbox?" Spencer said. "Because we're getting really outsold by PlayStation in the market at this point. Do we stay invested in it? Or do we make a different decision?"

"I think the reason I ended up in the job, frankly, was the other leaders were gone," he said. "I tease myself that I was the last person left at the table" 

Edited by Goukosan

I think Series X/S will probably be MS's last efforts at hardware in the industry. It's been quite obvious to anyone paying attention, that Gamepass is their model for the future and getting that to as many users as possible.

19 minutes ago, Ike said:

I think Series X/S will probably be MS's last efforts at hardware in the industry. It's been quite obvious to anyone paying attention, that Gamepass is their model for the future and getting that to as many users as possible.

Xbox One sold 50 million. It's nowhere close to the Switch or PS4, but 50 million is still a lot of consoles. If I thought Sony would ever let Gamepass on their console I could see it, but I don't and a living room box that lets you play games without streaming them is Gamepass' biggest advantage over competing streaming platforms.

I always dislike quotes like these. They're just meant to try and grab media attention in order to help sell a new product.

Like you always hear washed up rockstars giving quotes like that, or actors like Will Smith just as he happens to be promoting a new movie that's probably a piece of shit:

"We were about to break up" according to Smith, who is promoting his new movie, Gemini Man, coming out this Friday.

The one that annoys me the most was Bioware talking about how THEY KNEW Mass Effect 1 was shitty and underbaked at its launch. And they were giving that comment right before the release of Mass Effect 2.

Like, is that supposed to make us think that you are MORE CREDIBLE now that you've admitting it after the fact, and after people gave you the money for the first game? Is that honesty, which is way too damn late, supposed to ENDEAR you to us?

Edited by jehurey

What's funny is Jehurey said that Phil Spencer was the one that ruined the company, and that Satya was going to fire him any day now...

But that was before Satya gave Phil the go ahead to spend over $7.5B on expansion :mickey: 

25 minutes ago, Remij said:

What's funny is Jehurey said that Phil Spencer was the one that ruined the company, and that Satya was going to fire him any day now...

But that was before Satya gave Phil the go ahead to spend over $7.5B on expansion :mickey: 

Phil Spencer and you seem that share that one unique trait.

You both keep digging yourself in deeper holes of failure, when you've should've stopped a long time ago.

And..........I said that Microsoft was going to turn into a third-party publisher, and that's exactly what is happening.

Just now, jehurey said:

Phil Spencer and you seem that share that one unique trait.

You both keep digging yourself in deeper holes of failure, when you've should've stopped a long time ago.

And..........I said that Microsoft was going to turn into a third-party publisher, and that's exactly what is happening.

You talk a lot about Phil... more baseless claims.

Phil saved Xbox... and convinced Satya to go all in.  You claimed it was other people who were telling Spencer what he was going to do... but nope.  Turns out Spencer's leadership brough Xbox back from the brink

You said Satya was going to fire him a long time ago... before he gave him $7.5B :cruise: 

Jehurey doesn't like either of us... we're both failures :drake: 

Run along Jehurry up and go not play your PS4 some more :rofl: 

9 minutes ago, Remij said:

You talk a lot about Phil... more baseless claims.

Phil saved Xbox... and convinced Satya to go all in.  You claimed it was other people who were telling Spencer what he was going to do... but nope.  Turns out Spencer's leadership brough Xbox back from the brink

You said Satya was going to fire him a long time ago... before he gave him $7.5B :cruise: 

Jehurey doesn't like either of us... we're both failures :drake: 

Run along Jehurry up and go not play your PS4 some more :rofl: 

LOL confirming that he's a lemming, yet again.

No, Spencer isn't "bringing back" anything.

He's transitioning it into a third-party. Which is what I told you back in 2018, and that it would accelerate the demise of the hardware business. And judging from the completely lackluster launch, that's exactly what is happening.

He really is a butthurt lemming. Its hilarious that he's mad in multiple threads. Even his butthurt has gone multiplat.:lawl:

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

LOL confirming that he's a lemming, yet again.

No, Spencer isn't "bringing back" anything.

He's transitioning it into a third-party. Which is what I told you back in 2018, and that it would accelerate the demise of the hardware business. And judging from the completely lackluster launch, that's exactly what is happening.

He really is a butthurt lemming. Its hilarious that he's mad in multiple threads. Even his butthurt has gone multiplat.:lawl:

Jehesreallymadnow :cruise: 

Holy.. Phil's getting fired any day now!  Jehesconfirmedit :rofl: 

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Jehesreallymadnow :cruise: 

Holy.. Phil's getting fired any day now!  Jehesconfirmedit :rofl: 

The projection isn't working in the slightest. He's losing his shit now.

All because I reminded him of his embarrassing truth.

@Goukosan Sorry that Lemij came in and derailed this thread, as well. he's following me because he's butthurt about me pointing out that he has not played any PS4 game past 2014, caught him by looking at his PSN profile. He's been mad ever since.

Edited by jehurey
2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The projection isn't working in the slightest. He's losing his shit now.

All because I reminded him of his embarrassing truth.

@Goukosan Sorry that Lemij came in and derailed this thread, as well. he's following me because he's butthurt about me pointing out that he has not played any PS4 game past 2014, caught him by looking at his PSN profile. He's been mad ever since.

I derailed this thread by talking about Phil Spencer and Xbox?  LOL good one.

And now he's derailing the thread talking about another thread... and then he wonders why people come in and say "yep, Jehurey messed up a perfectly good thread" :tom: 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

I derailed this thread by talking about Phil Spencer and Xbox?  LOL good one.

And now he's derailing the thread talking about another thread... and then he wonders why people come in and say "yep, Jehurey messed up a perfectly good thread" :tom: 

Nope, you derailed it by talking about me.

Here's the proof:

53 minutes ago, Remij said:

What's funny is Jehurey said

You're talking about me. Your intention is to just talk about me.

You're still doing it. It will be impossible for you to type your next post without mentioning me.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Nope, you derailed it by talking about me.

Here's the proof:

You're talking about me. Your intention is to just talk about me.

You're still doing it. It will be impossible for you to type your next post without mentioning me.

It's relevant to the topic of the thread.  It isn't about YOU...it's about what you said... about Phil Spencer and Xbox.

LOL.... idiot. :rofl: 

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's relevant to the topic of the thread.  It isn't about YOU...it's about what you

Yup, you just admitted to derailing the thread to talk about me.

Its your entire motivation for wanting to post here, you tried to use Phil Spencer as a segway to try and find something to talk about me.

Yikes..........he's now getting mad in a THIRD thread.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yup, you just admitted to derailing the thread to talk about me.

Its your entire motivation for wanting to post here, you tried to use Phil Spencer as a segway to try and find something to talk about me.

Yikes..........he's now getting mad in a THIRD thread.

Nope, I talked about what you said about Phil and Xbox.

You're the one literally in the process right now of trying to make this thread about you :danylol: 

Edited by Remij
1 minute ago, Remij said:

Nope, I talked about what you

And notice how you really seem to be talking about me as the main subject, and not Phil Spencer?

That's because your original post is actually about me than Phil Spencer. He's just the segue.

Sweetie, you're not clever enough to hide it.  Just like you're not clever enough to project what you are doing onto me.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

And notice how you really seem to be talking about me as the main subject, and not Phil Spencer?

That's because your original post is actually about me than Phil Spencer. He's just the segue.

Sweetie, you're not clever enough to hide it.  Just like you're not clever enough to project what you are doing onto me.

No.. I'm talking about you now, because you came in and made it about you.  I spoke about what you said.  If you'd refute that you said those things instead of whining that I'm talking about you... then you wouldn't be derailing the thread... but of course.. you can't.. because you said those things... and so you have to make it all about you.. 

Edited by Remij