Gaming laptop worth it?

imo no. you pay a huge premium for even a low end GPU. it makes the whole unit bigger and hotter and with worse battery life. I think if you want a cheap, but somewhat portable gaming PC for racing, consider a mini-ITX build.

the only gaming-capable laptop i'd consider right now is the Zephyrus G14
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/30/21197761/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-review-gaming-laptop-specs-features-price

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

imo no. you pay a huge premium for even a low end GPU. it makes the whole unit bigger and hotter and with worse battery life. I think if you want a cheap, but somewhat portable gaming PC for racing, consider a mini-ITX build.

the only gaming-capable laptop i'd consider right now is the Zephyrus G14
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/30/21197761/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-review-gaming-laptop-specs-features-price

I see the one for $1249 that has a decent card. 

The GTX 1660 TI

45 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

I see the one for $1249 that has a decent card. 

The GTX 1660 TI

But that 1660 is already going to struggle with games coming out this year. In 2 years you'll be lucky to play the next rockstar game on low settings. You could practically build a mid-range PC and buy an Ultrabook for the same money. And the PC would be upgradeable.

Edited by sugarhigh
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So this should be able to run everything at 1080p then.

1 hour ago, MalaXmaS said:

So this should be able to run everything at 1080p then.

Yeah, it should be good enough for high/ultra settings in most current games. You should also be able to enable ray tracing in most of the ones that support it, without killing the framerate too much.

• Upvote 1

You need to do your research on laptops; but generally speaking you can get an effective gaming PC that you take on the go - my previous contract had me moving around; so wanting to play my usual games (Strategy games mostly :] ).

First off, don't expect above 1080P gaming; however you can get 120Hz screens which is nice. You'll want about 4+ hours on wifi for those times you need to go without plugging in. Gaming on battery is still ill advised - it just depletes it too quick; and y ou'll either stick with the 1660Ti

I've have an older Acer Nitro 5 with 12GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 1 TB HDDC (5400 RPM :dead: ) with a 4GB 1050GTX. It handled games well, up until about Ghost Recon/Farcry 5. Then it was playing them at around 30 FPS @ 1080P.

I've now got the following, as of May:

MSI GL65

120Hz screen

1.5 TB (512 GB NVMe, 1TB SATA SSD)
i5-9300
16 GB Ram
GTX 1660TI

I can run anything at High/Ultra depending on the game at 1080P and the FPS range from 60FPS (Farcry 5, AC Origins, Metro Exodus) to 90FPS for (GTA 5, FH4) and over 100 FPS for games like Ace Combat 7, Death Stranding, and a few others that escape my memory.

16 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

You need to do your research on laptops; but generally speaking you can get an effective gaming PC that you take on the go - my previous contract had me moving around; so wanting to play my usual games (Strategy games mostly :] ).

First off, don't expect above 1080P gaming; however you can get 120Hz screens which is nice. You'll want about 4+ hours on wifi for those times you need to go without plugging in. Gaming on battery is still ill advised - it just depletes it too quick; and y ou'll either stick with the 1660Ti

I've have an older Acer Nitro 5 with 12GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 1 TB HDDC (5400 RPM :dead: ) with a 4GB 1050GTX. It handled games well, up until about Ghost Recon/Farcry 5. Then it was playing them at around 30 FPS @ 1080P.

I've now got the following, as of May:

MSI GL65

120Hz screen

1.5 TB (512 GB NVMe, 1TB SATA SSD)
i5-9300
16 GB Ram
GTX 1660TI

I can run anything at High/Ultra depending on the game at 1080P and the FPS range from 60FPS (Farcry 5, AC Origins, Metro Exodus) to 90FPS for (GTA 5, FH4) and over 100 FPS for games like Ace Combat 7, Death Stranding, and a few others that escape my memory.

I used to be in the loop for PC gaming and specs years ago.

After I got my PS2, I lost complete track and can't even differentiate graphics cards one from the other.

That's why I think building a PC would be moot for me.

building a pc now is easier than ever. or just buy a prebuilt. i don't see the sense in paying more to use a laptop as a console. and if anything fucks up it's gonna cost even more. stop being a baby . or go super tiny and build something to use a streaming service. nvidia shield, crap like that

3 minutes ago, roflpwnedz said:

building a pc now is easier than ever. or just buy a prebuilt. i don't see the sense in paying more to use a laptop as a console. and if anything fucks up it's gonna cost even more. stop being a baby . or go super tiny and build something to use a streaming service. nvidia shield, crap like that

Its not at all easy. The flagship cards are all sold out and the previous gen (2xxx series) are almost all egregiously overpriced.