Digital Foundry] COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis

Oc1I6OR.jpg

I like the 120Hz mode, looks fantastic on my LG OLED when playing this game.

What I don't like are the stupid menu settings in order to get the game to switch over to 120Hz mode.

First of all, there's an option in the CoD's "Video" menu, but its grayed out, because its set at Quality mode (60fps w/Ray Tracing), so I was like "well, how do I switch this?"

So I have to go to the PS5's options for Screen (or is it accessibility, I already forgot) and  it says "Default to Game", which I figured would be the appropriate setting. but the game will not give you an option. So you have to have the PS5 video setting set to "Performance" in the OS settings, and then go back into the game (requires restarting) and then when you check the video menu, its grayed out, but now it says 120Hz mode. I don't understand why they have to make it awkward and tedious.

I like looking at the industrial fans spinning really fast and at helicopter blades at 120Hz, they really demonstrate the difference.

Edited by jehurey

Just played the single player campaign.

Short game, there's only about 11-12 levels. And, I never originally played the first Black ops, but it appears that the story retreads alot of the same story beats and twists as the first Black Ops. but its an enjoyable game for what it is.

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

The real question is why you didn’t get this for pc? Didn’t you spend a shitload of money on top of the line hardware recently?

LOL, it was a game rental.................so, if the only thing I ever usually do with CoD games is play its high-production single player campaign that only lasts about 6-8 hours, why would I pay $60 for it?

Its the textbook definition of a rental, which I can't do on PC. Which is why a PS5 game disc is rented.

The ray-tracing is only for shadows, and it doesn't have much of effect on the moment to moment gameplay, and the PS5 version maintains 120fps almost the entire time. I don't need to play the game at 160fps if my LG OLED can only do 120fps max. So, its the PS5 version all the way.

Now a rental for NBA 2K1 just arrived, so I'm installing it just to mess with it for a couple of days (or until I get another disc in the mail).

Edited by jehurey