VRR fucked on LG's OLED TVs... unlikely to be fixed

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bad for products who rely on VRR heavily because they can't hold their framerate.   LOL Xbox

Even worse for products which currently don't support it  

Goes well together with the scratched up coffee table

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Even worse for products which currently don't support it :cruise: 

No...........that sentence actually doesn't make any sense.  LOL

Poor guy is literally typing anything at this point........what are the chances that he went out of his way to find a 4 weeks old youtube video, and make this entire thread to pretend he is posting NEW information........entirely to try and get at me.

I don't really need to speculate, I already know he made this entire thread to try and get at me.  And I love it. He's really in a bad mood today.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Poor guy is literally typing anything at this point........what are the chances that he went out of his way to find a 4 weeks old youtube video, and make this entire thread to pretend he is posting NEW information........entirely to try and get at me.

I don't really need to speculate, I already know he made this entire thread to try and get at me.  And I love it. He's really in a bad mood today.

Yea it does.

Take you for example.  You have that TV, right? 

Well, you aren't getting the benefits of VRR.... and you couldn't even if you wanted to with your PS5.  So... now you're stuck with a console that you know is going to be updated to support it... but yet you know your TV is fucked with it even when it does...

LMAO.. that means that a big reason for buying the TV you did... with HDMI 2.1.... is gone out the window... OR... you suffer with the shitty VRR.

Maybe you can return your TV still?  No?:rofl: 

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea it does.

Take you for example.  You have that TV, right? 

Well, you aren't getting the benefits of VRR.... and you couldn't even if you wanted to with your PS5.  So... now you're stuck with a console that you know is going to be updated to support it... but yet you know your TV is fucked with it even when it does...

LMAO.. that means that a big reason for buying the TV you did... with HDMI 2.1.... is gone out the window... OR... you suffer with the shitty VRR.

Maybe you can return your TV still?  No?:rofl: 

Except the PS5 has more stable framerates, which means it won't go into variable refresh rates as often as the Xbox does.

Hence the problem is minimized when using the PS5.

Your sentence literally makes no sense. But you're typing it anyway because you're TRYING to find ANYTHING.

It will always be worse on an Xbox if the Xbox cannot hold its framerate better than a PS5 (I feel a Lemij topic change incoming).

Just now, jehurey said:

Except the PS5 has more stable framerates, which means it won't go into variable refresh rates as often as the Xbox does.

Hence the problem is minimized when using the PS5.

Your sentence literally makes no sense. But you're typing it anyway because you're TRYING to find ANYTHING.

It will always be worse on an Xbox if the Xbox cannot hold its framerate better than a PS5 (I feel a Lemij topic change incoming).

Nope.  It does make sense.  PS5 doesn't utilize it... because it can't.  Even when it will support it... your TV will still be shit with it.  And "more stable" doesn't mean anything... when a game drops under 120hz, you're going to have the issue... regardless of how far you drop down from 120hz... and the PS5 drops from 120hz just as often as Series X... which is to say... very often.  In some games it may not drop as far down... but that doesn't matter.. it still drops vsync and engages VRR.

Are you upset that a big part of the reason why you wanted an HDMI2.1 set is going to have issues unlikely to be fixed? :wonder: 

4 minutes ago, JonbX said:

Literally dismissing VRR when you "bought" a new beastly PC. Like what?

The PC would be the system that would need VRR the least.

No surprise that you would make that statement and not have a clue.

Just now, Remij said:

Nope.  It does make sense.  PS5 doesn't utilize it... because it can't. 

Sony already confirmed that its coming in an update.

The amount of Sony games that I will be playing at 120Hz is not going to be many. Its probably just going to be CoD, because that's the only multiplat game that I would not buy on my PC (because I only usually play the single-player campaign, so I just rent CoD games).

And Sony is not going to be making high-production AAA games running at 120fps, like God of War.

I love how you really trying to find SOMETHING to get at me, that you're literally arguing this. LOL

Just now, jehurey said:

The PC would be the system that would need VRR the least.

No surprise that you would make that statement and not have a clue.

Sony already confirmed that its coming in an update.

The amount of Sony games that I will be playing at 120Hz is not going to be many. Its probably just going to be CoD, because that's the only multiplat game that I would not buy on my PC (because I only usually play the single-player campaign, so I just rent CoD games).

And Sony is not going to be making high-production AAA games running at 120fps, like God of War.

I love how you really trying to find SOMETHING to get at me, that you're literally arguing this. LOL

So what was your reason for wanting an HDMI2.1 set so badly?

8 minutes ago, JonbX said:

PC def benefits from VRR especially if you are gaming at 120 144 etc.

If your PC is at a stable 120Hz framerate, its not using VRR except for any slight dips, and the issue is barely noticeable at those framerates.

The LG OLED can only run at a max 120Hz, per the HDMI 2.1 spec, it will not fluctuate in framerate between 120-144fps. Therefore any game from my PC that I am displaying to my LG OLED will be capped at 120fps.

10 minutes ago, Remij said:

So what was your reason for wanting an HDMI2.1 set so badly?

4K @ 120Hz with HDR at 4:4:4 chroma.

For the PC, and also for lossless Dolby Atmos which would pass through my tv (from an HDMI 2.1 device) out my eARC (which is my HDMI #2 port on my LG TV) that goes to my Denon AVR which does lossless Dolby Atmos.

eARC ports, and passing Dolby Atmos lossless audio requires HDMI 2.1

And lastly, the VRR would have to be really, REALLY bad and fluctuating framerate wildly for you to encounter a "light black" flashing effect.

We'd have to be talking about a game that is going from 114fps down to 58fps and anywhere in between constantly. And the reason why is because the pixels on the OLED display are taking in voltage that must be released, it cannot be held for long periods of time, it is set at certain intervals. And when those intervals are wildly changing (because of wildly changing refresh rate) it must get rid of the voltage that it has, and therefore it turns on the pixel, and it would turn it on at the lowest possible shade of black that isn't total-zero.

If I'm playing a video game that's fluctuating between 90 to 120 fps, it will be quite difficult for me to even spot when this happens. Cameras recording the television panel capture this much better than your eyes would during actual gameplay.

59 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I don't normally chime in but I have to say it's obvious lemij is grasping at straws here. Xflop sucks so bad, its completely failed to live up to expectations and now one of the few things it could try to flaunt is being taken away from it too.

27 minutes ago, jehurey said:

If your PC is at a stable 120Hz framerate, its not using VRR except for any slight dips, and the issue is barely noticeable at those framerates.

The LG OLED can only run at a max 120Hz, per the HDMI 2.1 spec, it will not fluctuate in framerate between 120-144fps. Therefore any game from my PC that I am displaying to my LG OLED will be capped at 120fps.

4K @ 120Hz with HDR at 4:4:4 chroma.

For the PC, and also for lossless Dolby Atmos which would pass through my tv (from an HDMI 2.1 device) out my eARC (which is my HDMI #2 port on my LG TV) that goes to my Denon AVR which does lossless Dolby Atmos.

eARC ports, and passing Dolby Atmos lossless audio requires HDMI 2.1

And lastly, the VRR would have to be really, REALLY bad and fluctuating framerate wildly for you to encounter a "light black" flashing effect.

We'd have to be talking about a game that is going from 114fps down to 58fps and anywhere in between constantly. And the reason why is because the pixels on the OLED display are taking in voltage that must be released, it cannot be held for long periods of time, it is set at certain intervals. And when those intervals are wildly changing (because of wildly changing refresh rate) it must get rid of the voltage that it has, and therefore it turns on the pixel, and it would turn it on at the lowest possible shade of black that isn't total-zero.

If I'm playing a video game that's fluctuating between 90 to 120 fps, it will be quite difficult for me to even spot when this happens. Cameras recording the television panel capture this much better than your eyes would during actual gameplay.

Ah.. so for everything except VRR.. convenient :smilecry: 

I know how displays and VRR work... The problem is on these OLEDs is that it suffers a gamma shift every time VRR engages and disengages... meaning from Vsync... to less than Vsynced.. so if you're constantly going between 120hz and dropping a couple frames... then back to 120hz.. you're going to get constantly changing gamma shift...  THAT is the problem.

What you're talking about is strobing caused by dropping to low refreshrates on a VRR display. That's a separate issue that all panels will have if you drop low enough.  However people aren't noticing this with stuff that's dropping to 40-50hz from 120hz.... it's noticeable even at high refreshrates... because it's constantly engaging and disengaging VRR.  As I said... it would have to drop very far for the flicker you're talking about to be noticeable.  What people are noticing is GAMMA SHIFT which makes the black and dark areas of the image change gamma curve on and off..

Edited by Remij

Youre not going to get locked 120 all the time jerry. You know that, but now your gonna fight VRR being useless....when its not....just because you need to win the argument about ps5. Which you already lost.