VRR fucked on LG's OLED TVs... unlikely to be fixed

Just now, Remij said:

Ah.. so for everything except VRR.. convenient :smilecry: 

I know how displays and VRR work...

No you clearly don't, because you just attempted to post a video from a few weeks ago that already came and the fuss over it died down.

No, you're not going to notice the "gamma shift" at those framerates. The people that have already seen it (and that was before a patch that just hit about 2 weeks ago) were saying that you might notice a "dark ash gray" as the "flash" instead of total black.

Believe me, if you are using any form of IPS panel, you already experience worse blacks all the time, not to mention halo effects from it relying on FALD, which may be turned off on certain tvs when it goes into high framerate modes.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bad for products who rely on VRR heavily because they can't hold their framerate.   LOL Xbox

Even worse for products which currently don't support it  

Goes well together with the scratched up coffee table

2 minutes ago, JonbX said:

Youre not going to get locked 120 all the time jerry. You know that, but now your gonna fight VRR being useless....when its not....just because you need to win the argument about ps5. Which you already lost.

Its not going to be noticeable, and its definitely not going to be a dealbreaker.

But thanks for now admitting that this thread was nothing more than butthurt lemmings whining about the PS5.

:tom:idiot just admitted to it

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Its not going to be noticeable, and its definitely not going to be a dealbreaker.

But thanks for now admitting that this thread was nothing more than butthurt lemmings whining about the PS5.

:tom:idiot just admitted to it

People have already noticed it... and it's a BIG deal breaker for many.. lmao

HDMI 2.1 OMG 4K, 120hz! VRR too!

And turns out the VRR is shit :cruise: 

You were bragging so much about your TV too :hehe: 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

People have already noticed it... and it's a BIG deal breaker for many.. lmao

HDMI 2.1 OMG 4K, 120hz! VRR too!

And turns out the VRR is shit :cruise: 

You were bragging so much about your TV too :hehe: 

No, it isn't.

Go visit the OLED subreddit and show me people who are heavily complaining.

I'll wait.

24 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

I don't normally chime in but I have to say it's obvious lemij is grasping at straws here. Xflop sucks so bad, its completely failed to live up to expectations and now one of the few things it could try to flaunt is being taken away from it too.

He's trying really hard.

Which is funny, because Xbox is more reliant on VRR than PS5, in the game comparisons thus far :drake:

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No you clearly don't, because you just attempted to post a video from a few weeks ago that already came and the fuss over it died down.

No, you're not going to notice the "gamma shift" at those framerates. The people that have already seen it (and that was before a patch that just hit about 2 weeks ago) were saying that you might notice a "dark ash gray" as the "flash" instead of total black.

Believe me, if you are using any form of IPS panel, you already experience worse blacks all the time, not to mention halo effects from it relying on FALD, which may be turned off on certain tvs when it goes into high framerate modes.

Yes.. I do.

And then you proceed to post about people noticing it :smilecry: 

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Yes.. I do.

And then you proceed to post about people noticing it :smilecry: 

So you can't backup that other claim, as well.

Just like I thought.

We let me know when you have proof from the people who would actually encounter that visual issue.

Until then, this is just another butthurt thread you created about me, and that's enough satisfaction for me knowing you did that.:ben:

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So you can't backup that other claim, as well.

Just like I thought.

We let me know when you have proof from the people who would actually encounter that visual issue.

Until then, this is just another butthurt thread you created about me, and that's enough satisfaction for me knowing you did that.:ben:

Uh, the proof is right there... there's an issue.. and LG has acknowledged it.

Now, continue living in denial to feel better about your purchase :smilecry: 

7 minutes ago, Remij said:

Uh, the proof is right there... there's an issue.. and LG has acknowledged it.

Now, continue living in denial to feel better about your purchase :smilecry: 

Except Vincent Teoh, the very person whom you just posted a video, still recommended OLEDs for video games, and even created a video AFTER that VRR issue came up.

Yeah............some harsh LIVING I'll be doing.

All I have to say is that SSD Speedway level in Astro's Playroom was absolutely amazing to play on the OLED. The way those colors are whizzing by in the level and those animated neon signs.

My_Great_Capture_Screenshot_2020-11-21_1

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Except Vincent Teoh, the very person whom you just posted a video, still recommended OLEDs for video games, and even created a video AFTER that VRR issue came up.

Yeah............some harsh LIVING I'll be doing.

All I have to say is that SSD Speedway level in Astro's Playroom was absolutely amazing to play on the OLED. The way those colors are whizzing by in the level and those animated neon signs.

My_Great_Capture_Screenshot_2020-11-21_1

Who said it wasn't a good gaming TV?

I said that the VRR sucks... and VRR is one of the big advantages of the HDMI2.1 spec.  It was also expected that PS5 would be taking advantage of it.

It's borked on your TV... that's all. :shrug: 

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Who said it wasn't a good gaming TV?

I said that the VRR sucks... and VRR is one of the big advantages of the HDMI2.1 spec.  It was also expected that PS5 would be taking advantage of it.

It's borked on your TV... that's all. :shrug: 

He said it was the BEST tv to play next-gen games on.

Even with the known VRR issue.

If you only knew what's borked on your IPS monitor that my OLED does infinitely better.

The neogaf thread that he got this from (and he definitely got it from there, no doubt about it) clearly explains it, especially from actual OLED owners.  Its not a big deal.

AND.......VRR is currently worse on other tvs, because they are experience worse gamma shifts.

And this has been a common occurrence in monitors, because its usually resulted in screen flickers.

This guy puts it in perspective by assessing alternative TVs and their current state. (Timestamped at 6:10)

32 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The neogaf thread that he got this from (and he definitely got it from there, no doubt about it) clearly explains it, especially from actual OLED owners.  Its not a big deal.

AND.......VRR is currently worse on other tvs, because they are experience worse gamma shifts.

And this has been a common occurrence in monitors, because its usually resulted in screen flickers.

This guy puts it in perspective by assessing alternative TVs and their current state. (Timestamped at 6:10)

LMAO you're trying so hard to feel good about buying the TV you did.. LOL Variable Gamma Rates :mj: 

24 minutes ago, Remij said:

LMAO you're trying so hard to feel good about buying the TV you did.. LOL Variable Gamma Rates :mj: 

Actually its you trying to make yourself feel better after I made fun of the state of computer monitors a few months ago when I bought my TV.

It is obvious that you have never even seen a game being played on an OLED tv, because if you did, you'd go silent and simply buy one.

I tried taking a photo of the SSD Speedway level in Astrobot, because while playing it I stopped and noticed just how amazing the effect of those colors flying by in dark space was.

So I busted out my Galaxy Note 20, a brand new phone, to try and records video with HDR turned on. Even then, it could not capture the brilliance and richness of the color. It simply does not transfer to camera.

LOL, I made the analogy of buying a supercar, and then putting that car on cheap Walmart tires.  And that is what high-end PC gaming is on those absolute fucking joke of IPS/VA monitors.

Dude, do you even know that your monitors darkest black setting is still going to be higher than the VRR "Gamma Shift" I would experience on my OLED? I'm trying hard to make myself feel good?:tom:

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Actually its you trying to make yourself feel better after I made fun of the state of computer monitors a few months ago when I bought my TV.

It is obvious that you have never even seen a game being played on an OLED tv, because if you did, you'd go silent and simply buy one.

I tried taking a photo of the SSD Speedway level in Astrobot, because while playing it I stopped and noticed just how amazing the effect of those colors flying by in dark space was.

So I busted out my Galaxy Note 20, a brand new phone, to try and records video with HDR turned on. Even then, it could not capture the brilliance and richness of the color. It simply does not transfer to camera.

LOL, I made the analogy of buying a supercar, and then putting that car on cheap Walmart tires.  And that is what high-end PC gaming is on those absolute fucking joke of IPS/VA monitors.

Dude, do you even know that your monitors darkest black setting is still going to be higher than the VRR "Gamma Shift" I would experience on my OLED? I'm trying hard to make myself feel good?:tom:

^ yea, I'm trying so hard to make myself feel better about something you apparently did a few months ago...  just now :mj: 

You're so stupid you don't even realize that the gamma shift looks WORSE because OLEDs are so dark :tom: 

You're literally an idiot... and you're butthurt which is why you're bringing up PC ROFL.  The funniest part being that we've all seen your dusty scratched up PC monitor that you're using... :hest:

Edited by Remij
6 minutes ago, Remij said:

^ yea, I'm trying so hard to make myself feel better about something you apparently did a few months ago...  just now :mj: 

You're so stupid you don't even realize that the gamma shift looks WORSE because OLEDs are so dark :tom: 

You're literally an idiot... and you're butthurt which is why you're bringing up PC ROFL.  The funniest part being that we've all seen your dusty scratched up PC monitor that you're using... :hest:

Goes well together with the scratched up coffee table :smugd:

• Upvote 1