Spider-Man: Miles Morales' newest update adds a ray tracing 60FPS mode; changes resolution, reflection quality and pedestrian density

Its cool to still see them add different options, and tinker with it some more after release. I think adjusting the reflection quality is pretty smart way to try and squeeze in a better framerate. Let's see how much reduction in resolution and pedestrian count they needed to do to get to 60fps.

Just tried it out.

I don't really want to play the entire game, because I was hoping on playing the first game on the PS5 with its ray-tracing patch as well.

But I played the first few missions in 30fps ray-traced mode, and then I turned on the 60fps ray-traced mode. Then doing back and forth comparisons, and reflections maybe looks a little fuzzy and reflections that are off in the distance may start to have some aliasing.

But other than that, this is pretty fantastic at 60fps. I don't know what else they're doing, like maybe dynamic resolution. But it looks great.

On 2020-12-10 at 6:56 PM, Vini said:

Do y'all really need 60fps for a third person single player game though? 

Hmm, yes. There's a reason why all great third person action games like Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry runs at 60FPS on consoles.

Not saying it's absolutely necessary for a game like Spiderman but 60FPS is always superior.

9 hours ago, Ramza said:

Hmm, yes. There's a reason why all great third person action games like Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry runs at 60FPS on consoles.

Not saying it's absolutely necessary for a game like Spiderman but 60FPS is always superior.

For me here's the heirarchy of need for 60fps: FPS MP>TPS MP>FPS SP>TPS SP

In fact in some ways 30 FPS makes the third person single players more cinematic looking for me. 

6 minutes ago, Vini said:

For me here's the heirarchy of need for 60fps: FPS MP>TPS MP>FPS SP>TPS SP

In fact in some ways 30 FPS makes the third person single players more cinematic looking for me. 

Maybe for a slow ass game. Anything that remotely has frenetic and fast paced gameplay is more fluid and responsive at 60FPS.

Hell, I was one of those guys saying that we don't need more than 60FPS and now that I have my 144hz monitor I want my 144FPS with Vsync if possible. In fact, that's more important for me than resolution now. The fluidity is impressive.

7 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Maybe for a slow ass game. Anything that remotely has frenetic and fast paced gameplay is more fluid and responsive at 60FPS.

Hell, I was one of those guys saying that we don't need more than 60FPS and now that I have my 144hz monitor I want my 144FPS with Vsync if possible. In fact, that's more important for me than resolution now. The fluidity is impressive.

Yea but Spider Man is mostly just a button masher I don't notice any speed improvement in my abilities with 60fps. 

Edited by Vini

Same goes for Ghost of Tsushima. 60fps is smooth and all but now it just looks like I'm watching a movie with 120hz motion processing turned on. I'd rather get better textures. 

Maybe it's just me but it was fine the way it was. Good thing there's a choice I guess

1 minute ago, Vini said:

Yea but Spider Man is mostly just a button masher I don't notice any speed improvement in my abilities with 60fps. 

Not sure what you mean by it's just button masher? Would you consider DMC and Street Fighter button mashers as well, two series that always aimed at 60FPS for fluid gameplay? lmao

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Not sure what you mean by it's just button masher? Would you consider DMC and Street Fighter button mashers as well, two series that always aimed at 60FPS for fluid gameplay? lmao

As soon as we're talking MP even if it's split screen I prefer 60fps

I don't know DMC too well to comment on it but if speed of combos is key then I can see why 60fps is beneficial but what I mean about Spider-Man is it's a dodge/strike button masher for the most part like the Arkham games, I mean really you can do a combo of hold square for high punch and then mash square repeatedly with most basic opponents and all the moves will be done for you and you almost never take damage.