There's no excuse for an unfinished game. With that being said, both devs and gamers are lucky these days. Back then, if the game had bugs, it was basically fucked. Now games can be patched...

I remember Gerstmann saying it a long time ago: its a miracle that modern video games end up working, at all.

What CDPR fucked themselves, and gamers along with it, is that they became a publicly traded company, and they now had pressure to make a huge product that sold alot of copies.

And therefore it had to, absolutely had to, release on the current gen where there's about 105 million PS4s. Couldn't be pushed back into 2021. And it was probably a case of "scope creep" where they didn't know adding cars and roads would require so many more A.I. scripting.

This is probably why Bethesda is too scared to abandoned their core engine platform. Its probably why Rockstar Games took 5 years to go from GTA4 to GTA5, but GTA4 almost felt like a Beta version, and GTA6 is going to take at least 8 years.

I genuinely hope that this is CDPR's equivalent of GTA4 and that they can make a Cyberpunk sequel  by 2023-2024 and it will be greatly improved in terms of A.I. scripting. and they have their gameplay systems and A.I. systems become cohesive and work together.

46 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

It's been like this since the Xbox 360 era.  Convenient update patches. 

It's that way because PC developers have taken such a prominent role in console development and while this has helped the industry as a whole, it's also kind of turned the console market into a ghetto bringing their janky ass developing to the console world. 

Edited by Mr. Impossible
  • Upvote 1