Xbox controllers still use AA batteries because of a long term deal with Duracell.

Not because of consumer choice, not because of options.  It's because of greed. 

TLHBO :lawl:

Xbox controllers are still using AA batteries ‘because of long-term Duracell deal’, spokesperson claims

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/xbox-controllers-are-still-using-aa-batteries-because-of-long-term-duracell-deal-spokesperson-claims/

Edited by Goukosan

yeah, everyone i know who has an xbox inevitably shells out for the $40 rechargeable battery pack. you kind of need it unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on shitty batteries.

so from now on we should all consider the xbox controller a $100+ controller. all for last gen tech with dumb batteries, and shittier triggers, last gen rumble, and no touch pad. atleast they finally caught up with the share button.

what a fall from grace from the 360 where they hands down had the best controller. Xbox right now, has the worst controller of the big 3. they've been surpassed far and away by dualsense, and switch pro is still better because it doesn't force you to buy batteries. Switch Pro's internal battery will last 40 hours, easy.

Or you know you can use the same chargers and batteries for a decade... Guess where my Xbox One rechargeables went? In my Series X controller. I couldn't care less about the nature of their deal, the option for immediate replacement is superior no matter how you dice it.

3 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

Or you know you can use the same chargers and batteries for a decade... Guess where my Xbox One rechargeables went? In my Series X controller. I couldn't care less about the nature of their deal, the option for immediate replacement is superior no matter how you dice it.

Needing AA batteries or having to purchase rechargeables is not superior you clown. 

They only did that for Money.  If it wasn't for that deal, the controller would have a built in battery. 

3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

No, Microsoft isn't forced to use batteries in Xbox controllers because of a deal with Duracell

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-07-no-microsoft-isnt-forced-to-use-batteries-in-xbox-controllers-because-of-a-deal-with-duracell

PR speak.  Of course it's not forced, the Duracell executive never claimed it was forced.   But thanks Microsoft for letting us know it wasn't forced... lol

Edited by Goukosan
11 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

the Duracell executive never claimed it was forced.

Then what's the story? Microsoft goes with controller that uses batteries, pens a deal with a supplier to provide batteries with controller purchases?

Like you'd have to have room temperature IQ to think a deal with a battery manufacturer is dictating engineering decisions at Microsoft. Like good fucking god.

20 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Then what's the story? Microsoft goes with controller that uses batteries, pens a deal with a supplier to provide batteries with controller purchases?

Like you'd have to have room temperature IQ to think a deal with a battery manufacturer is dictating engineering decisions at Microsoft. Like good fucking god.

then why don't they have two versions of the controller, then?

24 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Who said that?   Again no one said they were "forced."... It was a design choice driven by milking extra $$ from their user base. It's all about extra $$, MS makes extra coin from lemming purchasing play and charge kits and they also make extra coin from the deal with Duracell. 

PR wise you frame it as " consumer choice" and milk away. 

Haven't we caught Microsoft straight-up lying about something that they were doing, but told the gaming media that it wasn't the case.

Have people forgotten that Phil Spencer straight-up lied about the two console rumors?

He specifically said "we don't have two skus", and then changed it to "oh yeah, uh.........Xbox One S All-Digital, that's the second sku."

And clearly made it appear that next-gen was only going to be one hardware sku?

So I absolutely believe that Microsoft would use selective wording to make it appear that they are denying the rumor. Lawyers do this all the time.