Xbox controllers still use AA batteries because of a long term deal with Duracell.

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

they also make extra coin from the deal with Duracell. 

Why would you think Duracell is paying Microsoft to be the battery supplier for pack-in batteries with console/controller purchases?

46 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Why would you think Duracell is paying Microsoft to be the battery supplier for pack-in batteries with console/controller purchases?

For the same reason the name brand Pampers has promotional deals with hospitals to use their brand of diapers in the infant ward for newborn babies.

Its marketing.

Duracell believes that if Xbox gamers see the Duracell batteries then it increases their chance that their next battery purchase will be of their batteries.

Hopefully I won't need to open up 70 year old history books on marketing to explain why they market in such a way.

Edited by jehurey
2 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

Let's say McDonalds needs a new soda supplier. How do you think the process plays out and what is the outcome?

Depends on the situation.  McDonald's is selling the soda, so the brand matters. Microsoft isn't selling batteries, they're packing them in. There are many ways this can work and I dont know anything about this and didn't even know Xbox controllers still needed alkaline batteries. Considering how much more Duracell batteries cost than "offbrand" ones, I can't imagine MS wasting money on them unless there was some mutually beneficial deal between the two. 

Yeah, that's a big sign that Duracell is paying Microsoft.

Every other product I get, Cable boxes, new TVs, electronic devices that come with remote (like ceiling fans).

The remote always has some cheapass battery from some weird manufacturer you've never heard of.

Why? Because there's no reason for them to spend more money to give you name-brand batteries, so they go cheap on that.

If Xbox controllers comes with Duracell batteries, there's a promotional deal involved.

it's probably cheaper for microsoft to keep using duracells they get for a fraction of the price thanks to the deal, then to develop a new internal battery and produce and supply them with every controller.

they also then get to upsell you the play and charge kit which is probably pure profit for them.

they also already leverage the controller by selling as my color options as possible. they have done almost 1 million colors so far because controllers are dirt cheap to produce, and are a high return item much more so than a console or a game.

this also would account for why they've been stagnant in controller design for the past decade, refused to change anything with the new suckiesX controller, and have been surpassed by Sony who keeps innovating controller design far and above them.

Edited by Bodycount N.S
5 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Considering how much more Duracell batteries cost than "offbrand" ones, I can't imagine MS wasting money on them unless there was some mutually beneficial deal between the two. 

Such as a lower price on batteries to remain competitive with cheaper brands of batteries?

12 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

"Like you'd have to have room temperature IQ to think" that Microsoft is the one paying Duracell to market Duracell in Microsoft products lol

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

"Like you'd have to have room temperature IQ to think" that Microsoft is the one paying Duracell to market Duracell in Microsoft products lol

Microsoft is paying for the supply of batteries, dumbass. Even Bodycount has that part figured out.

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce said:

Microsoft is paying for the supply of batteries, dumbass. Even Bodycount has that part figured out.

The value of the marketing from Duracell's perspective is worth more to them.  It's a paid advertising.  Duracell is paying MS to advertise Duracell in Xbox systems.  MS isn't in the business of selling AA batteries and it's not an internal component that is needed to manufacturer a controller... its a pack in... so Duracell is not in a traditional supplier relationship with MS.   It's Advertising. 

Even with your as you said "room temperature IQ"  im sure you don't need me to explain to you how advertising works right?  lol

But back to my original point that you're trying to divert from.  It doesn't change the fact that MS response was PR speak because it addressed something that was never alleged.."forced" 

Clever word play from PR to hide the fact that they chose to design their controller this way to up sell their user base....which was point of my OP. 

It's winter time... don't you think it's about time you raised the room temperature...you're freezing right now😉

Switch is #1 selling console right now at the least 24 months straight.

Xbox is selling hardware that requires AA batteries. This technology dates back before the technical specs of Wii U. Let that sink in for you non-sheep where Microshit's thinking is at.

I mean Halo Infinite barely looks like a Wii U game.

How about

Fuck micro$oft and fuck Duracell.  All I wanted was a controller for my nvidia shield to stream my pc games to the tv but I had to buy a dumb charging kit for it too. The shield controller is very awkward and uncomfortable.  

Edited by Cooke (not admin cant help