DF - Doom Eternal Switch

As he explained in the video to have a late gen game on a brand new advanced engine (ID tech 7) running with a stable framerate on portable hardware with the same complex geometry as PC/PS4 and its content complete... is simply a marvel. 

Edited by Goukosan

Just remembered I had a bet with DynamiteCop on this. 

Told him that it would run better than the previous ID tech ports because the Switch was factored in from the start of the development of the game. 

He claimed the Switch version wouldn't run on ID tech 7 and that it would perform worse than the previous games. 

He was wrong on both fronts :juggle:

42 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Just remembered I had a bet with DynamiteCop on this. 

Told him that it would run better than the previous ID tech ports because the Switch was factored in from the start of the development of the game. 

He claimed the Switch version wouldn't run on ID tech 7 and that it would perform worse than the previous games. 

He was wrong on both fronts :juggle:

I watched part of the video, and its worse than Doom 2016 in some areas. For example they completely ripped out the motion blur/depth of field effects which do make a big difference.

Regardless, I can't fathom why anyone would play this on switch.

14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I watched part of the video, and its worse than Doom 2016 in some areas. For example they completely ripped out the motion blur/depth of field effects which do make a big difference.

Regardless, I can't fathom why anyone would play this on switch.

Same reason anyone played portable versions of games since the beginning of time. 

5 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Same reason anyone played portable versions of games since the beginning of time. 

Nobody wants shit versions of multiplat games or franchises. Its why the PSP and Vita never took off. 

These studios would be better off making smaller spin off games that would show off the Switch's strengths.

18 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Nobody wants shit versions of multiplat games or franchises. Its why the PSP and Vita never took off. 

These studios would be better off making smaller spin off games that would show off the Switch's strengths.

Your first paragraph makes no sense.  PSP and Vita died mainly because of lack of first party support outside of a few games.  

The PSP and Vita versions of console 3rd party games either were completely different versions or it cut out so much content and or geometry it may have well been a different game. 

Switch is the the first portable to provide content complete console games on the go.  (Well 2nd if you count the nomad).   Obviously some games won't make sense on Switch, but a well done content complete port makes sense for Switch. 

As to why people play on portables... Not everyone has the time to plop down in front of a stationary console in from their TV at home for hours to play games Twinblade.

* forgot to mention, your 2nd paragraph also makes no sense.   Doom Eternal was green lit for Switch because Doom 2016 did well on Switch.   You think they're releasing these games simply out of the goodness of their hearts?  lol

Edited by Goukosan

@Twinblade

Here is Bethesda themselves addressing their games performance on Switch. 

“It was hugely popular – all of the stuff that we did. I think folks enjoyed and appreciated – and we wanted to make sure to say right up front that this is a title we want to bring to Switch, and we think it’s gonna be another awesome experience,” Hines said while speaking with IGN at Gamescom.

and here they are addressing releasing content complete ganes on Switch. 

"Now in the case of Switch, okay we’ve gotta do a little work to make sure it runs right and gives the right thing. We don’t want to cut out half of the story or make sacrifices that change the game, but if a device will support what we’re doing, we’ll absolutely put it out because we want as many people as possible to play these great games that our developers make.

Same points I made, their games are selling well on the system and they won't be putting games on their that require it to be changed so much that it's a different game all together (PSP and Vita's situation). 

Edited by Goukosan

Porting a game to Switch and having it run at ultra-low PC settings at 360p benefits nobody. I compared it to the PSP and Vita but that was actually insulting to those platforms. Take Metal Gear for example, PSP got both Metal Gear Acid and Portable Ops/Peace Walker. Cool spin offs that were faithful to the franchises but tried new things with the mechanics without being overly expensive to produce. If more studios went that route on Switch it would be a much more attractive platform, but as of now it has the worst third party support i've seen in a while.

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Porting a game to Switch and having it run at ultra-low PC settings at 360p benefits nobody. I compared it to the PSP and Vita but that was actually insulting to those platforms. Take Metal Gear for example, PSP got both Metal Gear Acid and Portable Ops/Peace Walker. Cool spin offs that were faithful to the franchises but tried new things with the mechanics without being overly expensive to produce. If more studios went that route on Switch it would be a much more attractive platform, but as of now it has the worst third party support i've seen in a while.

Switch has those original games in spades too. 

Switch has more 3rd party exclusives and original 3rd party games than Vita and PSP combined. 

More 3rd party support in general than both those systems combined too. 

Edited by Goukosan
38 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Porting a game to Switch and having it run at ultra-low PC settings at 360p benefits nobody.

It does. it benefits people who want to play a game and traditional sit-down console just isn't for them.

One of my best friends, now lives in a different states, I used to buy him games for his birthday and christmas, and he'd play them on his PS3, and he ended up getting a PS4.

But, for the Witcher 3, he ended up playing it on switch, and he was absolutely enamored with the game.

And this might be even more true with older people who are used to low-framerate PS1 and N64 games and they just didn't care.

One of the most impressive ports I've ever seen, and received a very high score from Gamespot back in the day, was a port of Street Fighter Alpha 3 on the GBA. And it was, indeed, amazing for what it was at the time.