Nintendo Switch accoutned for 87% of Japan's console marketshare

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-accounted-for-nearly-all-consoles-sold-in-japan-last-year/1100-6486412/

According to Famitsu and shared via GamesIndustry.biz, about 6.85 million consoles were sold in Japan during the year--that's all game consoles put together. Of those, 5.9 million were either the Nintendo Switch or the Switch Lite, while the PS4 and PS5 combined to sell about 798,000 units. This leaves very little room for other consoles to reach that 6.85 million number, and with the Xbox brand not having much weight in Japan, that's to be expected.

I'll say it again, cows are LUCKY that Nintendo couldn't get the Switch out 6 months to 1 year sooner, or else the Switch would've caught up to the PS4 and won the sales war by November 2020.

A Switch releasing around September 2016 would've had a two-fold effect. We know for a fact it would've stopped PS4 sales in Japan, because we are witnessing that already.

But people who were probably thinking about upgrading from a regular PS4 to a PS4pro in late 2016 would've probably not done that, and bought a Switch instead. Depressing PS4 sales. Would've closed the gap.

Nintendo has some sort of magical wizard wand for reaching across the gaming spectrum and into other lucrative methods of attaining demand, it's a gift.

My little sister is throwing hissy fits to get a Switch in order to play Ring Fit Adventure, and we're about to cave in within 24 hours.  All of Sony's and Microsoft's marketing team just can't compete with the fact that a toddler demands a game where you exercise in order to win.

They are not buying it because it's a console though. Without the portability factor it would be flopping in Japan right now, like the WiiU did.

Japanese market simply doesn't give a shit about typical home platforms anymore, it's a niche thing for hardcore gamers.

9 minutes ago, Ramza said:

They are not buying it because it's a console though. Without the portability factor it would be flopping in Japan right now, like the WiiU did.

So what's you're saying is, if the hybrid console wasn't a hybrid console it would flop... lmfao. 

The handheld only Switch sells much much less than the Switch that Docks even in Japan.   If they were buying it solely for portability the handheld only switch would sell the most.... but it's not. 

Example.... On the last Japanese chart the dockable Switch outsold the handheld Switch by over 100K in a week.... in a week.... a week. 

Edited by Goukosan

looking at the japanese PSN store is depressing, it's littered with trash that has zero appeal to Japanese gamers. It seriously looks like the Xbox One store from ~2013, where they just straight up list english UbiShit titles and EA crap that doesn't even support Japanese language options most of the time.

Then when you add in the X/O button swap for PS5, taking 20 years of tradition and throwing it out the window in Asia, where 'O' is literally used as a hand gesture to mean confirm, and 'X' is a negative, it's clear that Sony is failing because they've decided to Westernize PlayStation away from the Japanese.

they don't care.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_mark

Thankfully Nintendo Put the A/B buttons in the right place. imagine how many Japanese will be tearing their hair out on PS5. It just goes to show how Nintendo didn't compromise and gave the Japanese market a product they actually wanted. that extends to features and software frankly.

Persona 5 come HOME now! 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bodycount N.S said:

looking at the japanese PSN store is depressing, it's littered with trash that has zero appeal to Japanese gamers. It seriously looks like the Xbox One store from ~2013, where they just straight up list english UbiShit titles and EA crap that doesn't even support Japanese language options most of the time.

Then when you add in the X/O button swap for PS5, taking 20 years of tradition and throwing it out the window in Asia, where 'O' is literally used as a hand gesture to mean confirm, and 'X' is a negative, it's clear that Sony is failing because they've decided to Westernize PlayStation away from the Japanese.

they don't care.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_mark

Thankfully Nintendo Put the A/B buttons in the right place. imagine how many Japanese will be tearing their hair out on PS5. It just goes to show how Nintendo didn't compromise and gave the Japanese market a product they actually wanted. that extends to features and software frankly.

Persona 5 come HOME now! 

how dare they throw away the fundemental culture shamrock that is the "X" = dame sign and O = bring it on.  SMH.  Soknee out of touch with Japan.  I'm gonna Sekiro my stomach dude. 

I get why it sells well, just don't see the appeal of it. I'm not a graphics whore but I'm playing Ghost of Tsuhima and my gf is playing Fenix and it looks like an iPhone 4 game in comparison. 

Tbf AC looked OK for what it was. But that console looks at least 2 gens behind the x1/ps4. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

I get why it sells well, just don't see the appeal of it. I'm not a graphics whore but I'm playing Ghost of Tsuhima and my gf is playing Fenix and it looks like an iPhone 4 game in comparison. 

Tbf AC looked OK for what it was. But that console looks at least 2 gens behind the x1/ps4. 

Two gens behind X1/Ps4 he says.... lol

• Haha 1
On 2021-01-18 at 10:08 PM, Goukosan said:

So what's you're saying is, if the hybrid console wasn't a hybrid console it would flop... lmfao. 

The handheld only Switch sells much much less than the Switch that Docks even in Japan.   If they were buying it solely for portability the handheld only switch would sell the most.... but it's not. 

Example.... On the last Japanese chart the dockable Switch outsold the handheld Switch by over 100K in a week.... in a week.... a week. 

I'm just sating the obvious about the Japanese market preferences.

The handheld only Switch is an inferior piece of hardware, that's taken into consideration and having both options > only one.

An only TV Switch (non portable) would sell even less so your point is obsolete.

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I'm just sating the obvious about the Japanese market preferences.

The handheld only Switch is an inferior piece of hardware, that's taken into consideration and having both options > only one.

An only TV Switch (non portable) would sell even less so your point is obsolete.

The portable Switch uses the same hardware as the regular Switch.  Same performance and is $100 cheaper.   It should be selling the based on you saying the Switch only sells because it's a handheld... lol

5 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

The portable Switch uses the same hardware as the regular Switch.  Same performance and is $100 cheaper.   It should be selling the based on you saying the Switch only sells because it's a handheld... lol

You don't get the same performance as on the dock, so no. 

And like I said, a TV only Switch, with the same hardware would sell even less. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and would sell more? 

The screen is smaller also. It's a piece of junk, aimed at the youngest demographic, to be honest. It could have been better.

Edited by Ramza
3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

You don't get the same performance as on the dock, so no. 

And like I said, a TV only Switch, with the same hardware would sell even less. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and would sell more? 

The screen is smaller also. It's a piece of junk, aimed at the youngest demographic, to be honest. It could have been better.

I was comparing both handheld modes of the regular switch and the lite since you're saying that's all Japan cares about.