Open Club  ·  22 members  ·  Rules

All Things Politics

Trump was 'borderline screaming' and 'deeply unhappy' over his defense lawyers' performance in his impeachment trial, per report

Former President Donald Trump was "deeply unhappy" with his defense at his impeachment trial on Tuesday, according to a CNN report.

Multiple sources familiar with the former president's reactions told CNN that Trump was "borderline screaming" over his lawyers' performance on Tuesday, particularly taking issue with attorney Bruce Castor's rambling opening remarks.

Trump's team was also confused over a last-minute decision to swap the order of his defense. Castor, who spoke first, had originally been scheduled to speak after attorney David Schoen. People close to Trump thought their new strategy wasn't strong and did not appreciate when Castor praised the opposing side during his arguments, CNN reported.

"I'll be quite frank with you. We changed what we were going to do on account that we thought that the House managers' presentation was well done," Castor said during his remarks. 

Tuesday was the first day of Trump's impeachment trial, which is likely to continue throughout the week. The House impeached Trump on January 13 on a charge of "incitement of insurrection" related to the deadly Capitol riot on January 6. The main argument by the former president's legal team is that his impeachment trial is unconstitutional because Trump no longer holds public office. Several legal scholars have dismissed the theory. 

At least a handful of Republican senators also said on Tuesday that Trump's defense was executed poorly. Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who defected from his party and voted on Tuesday to declare the impeachment trial constitutional, called Trump's lawyers "unfocused."

I should've seen that on television. I had only glanced at the megathread on reddit, and they were absolutely blown away by what Bruce Castor was doing.

And apparently one guy couldn't drink a glass of water without using his other hand to "hold" his head, for some reason. LOL

One of Trump's lawyers argued that he shouldn't be impeached because the people already punished him:

“The people… are smart enough to pick a new administration if they don’t like the old one. And they just did.”

Gee, I wonder why Trump was "borderline screaming" at the tv, today.:patrice:

“Rachel Maddow shares a clip of Donald Trump impeachment defense lawyer Bruce Castor arguing that a president no longer in office cannot be impeached and instead, as a private citizen, should be arrested and prosecuted by the Department of Justice.”

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/trump-lawyer-suggests-arresting-trump-instead-of-impeachment-100781125961

H8YN62D.gif