SUPER Nintendo Switch

Its going to be using an ARM cpu, so it'll definitely be more capable than the PS4/XBO cpus.

I wonder if they could put the processing cores that deal with DLSS in the dock, so that you don't have to carry that silicon within the handheld unit, but I don't know if the handheld can generate a 1440p image and send it to the dock to use its A.I. to convert it up to a 4K image and then spit out the image within a normal amount of time without creating lag.

Its either that, or make a dock that overclocks the handheld and provides cooling to it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

Due go the noticeable scarcity of chips out there and Nintendo being the typical scummy and greedy company, you can expect this Super Switch to be priced at $500. No less.

yeah ok

43 minutes ago, Ike said:

Yeah, Nintendo will never pass the $300 price point. 

Oh, they will absolutely make this $350-$400.

If the dock contains processing hardware within it, they will sell the handheld unit for around $300, and the dock for about $100.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Oh, they will absolutely make this $350-$400.

If the dock contains processing hardware within it, they will sell the handheld unit for around $300, and the dock for about $100.

I just hope they sell a dock that allows for 4K with the older Switch model. I don’t need a whole new handheld unit. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Don't see how that's related. They are going after a different market entirely. Nintendo has hasn't followed the same path since the gamecube. 

With the Super Switch, they will.

Nintendo releasing a console that can do 4k gaming means they are telling the competition they want to compete too.

And that means pricing their games the same as the competition too.

Hell, Switch games sell for $60 and their games run at lower than half of a ps4/xbox one resolution. :kaz:

15 minutes ago, Ike said:

I just hope they sell a dock that allows for 4K with the older Switch model. I don’t need a whole new handheld unit. 

If they sell a dock that can upconvert, then you can be sure as hell the dock will be $200 or $250.

$400 for the Switch only.

$500 for both (Switch and dock).

10 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

If they sell a dock that can upconvert, then you can be sure as hell the dock will be $200 or $250.

$400 for the Switch only.

$500 for both (Switch and dock).

Do you always talk out of your ass?

lol ya'll need to keep your expectations in check.

they aren't doing some fancy upconvert dock, it won't be a 4k machine.

if you guys wanted a powerful nintendo console maybe you should have contributed to the sales of the gamecube.

2 minutes ago, Casual said:

lol ya'll need to keep your expectations in check.

they aren't doing some fancy upconvert dock, it won't be a 4k machine.

if you guys wanted a powerful nintendo console maybe you should have contributed to the sales of the gamecube.

They've released 2 1080p systems, it would be pointless to make another more powerful switch that also just does 1080p. 

9 minutes ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

They've released 2 1080p systems, it would be pointless to make another more powerful switch that also just does 1080p. 

Okay, so they'll release a system that can output in 4k but has effectively no games that actually do 4k then. at best you'll get a couple remasters of games old enough that 4k is possible. Wii U had no game doing 1080p that I can think of, Switch has barely any...even Zelda and Mario aren't 1080, and Zelda is a last gen port.

PS5 can barely do native 4k and they're 500$, huge boxes where their manufacturers are likely taking a bit of a loss atm (something Nintendo has never done on a console, I doubt they start not).

So what's more likely:

1) they go all in with an expensive 4k (like, 4k games...not just outputting in 4k) handheld to go back to the "traditional" market where they've repeatedly got smacked around

2) continue the course in their very successful handheld focused market with a moderately priced and capable (relative to size/handheld expectations) machine

I'll go with 2.

but if your definition of a 1080p machine is WiiU or Switch, then I guess Super Switch might be 4k in your eyes.

Edited by Casual
7 minutes ago, Cooke (not admin cant help said:

I wouldn't call the Wii U a 1080p system.  Mario Kart 8 was said to be 1080p and it was clearly shown to be 720p upscaled to 1080p when compared to the Switch version which is native 1080p.  I am sure that most if not all WiiU 1080p games got the same treatment.  The Switch is native 1080p though it struggles to achive that.  

The thing is that Nintendo is almost certainly going to want to do 4K through DLSS.

That requires additional silicon on the GPU to perform that function.

So are they going to make a bigger GPU die within the handheld unit in order to include DLSS functionality? That will make the handheld very expensive and possibly eat up more juice.  On the plus-side that also could mean that when playing handheld mode, it only needs to render like 540p and DLSS can convert it to a crisp 1080p image and send that to the handheld's 1080p screen. Helps keep framerate up while still being able to have fancy new graphical effects.

Or, they could put another nVidia processor within the hardware dock, and have that contain the DLSS function, and it gets to be able to get more wattage by being connected to a wall outlet, and probably better cooling. And then the handheld can provide a 1080p-1440p image and the DLSS processor in the dock can convert it up to 4K. This is assuming that they can do all of this without creating additional lag in delivering the image to your tv screen. I don't know about the bandwidth capabilities of the USB-C port to do such a thing.

3 hours ago, Casual said:

Okay, so they'll release a system that can output in 4k but has effectively no games that actually do 4k then. at best you'll get a couple remasters of games old enough that 4k is possible. Wii U had no game doing 1080p that I can think of, Switch has barely any...even Zelda and Mario aren't 1080, and Zelda is a last gen port.

PS5 can barely do native 4k and they're 500$, huge boxes where their manufacturers are likely taking a bit of a loss atm (something Nintendo has never done on a console, I doubt they start not).

So what's more likely:

1) they go all in with an expensive 4k (like, 4k games...not just outputting in 4k) handheld to go back to the "traditional" market where they've repeatedly got smacked around

2) continue the course in their very successful handheld focused market with a moderately priced and capable (relative to size/handheld expectations) machine

I'll go with 2.

but if your definition of a 1080p machine is WiiU or Switch, then I guess Super Switch might be 4k in your eyes.

Uh, PS5 can do 4k easily.

The problem is 4k AT 120fps which is not the case.

It can do 1080p at 120fps without any issues though.

lmfao, sheep trying to school us about 4k gaming.

2 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

Uh, PS5 can do 4k easily.

The problem is 4k AT 120fps which is not the case.

It can do 1080p at 120fps without any issues though.

lmfao, sheep trying to school us about 4k gaming.

lmfao, i actually have a ps5. it does 4k, there's still going to be compromises in many cases, hence the "barely".

and again, the point still remains that the ps5 is fucking huge so gl getting anything close to that in a switch form factor with anywhere close to a price that the retail market would accept.

17 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

With the Super Switch, they will.

Nintendo releasing a console that can do 4k gaming means they are telling the competition they want to compete too.

And that means pricing their games the same as the competition too.

Hell, Switch games sell for $60 and their games run at lower than half of a ps4/xbox one resolution. :kaz:

No, it's Nintendo never taking an early leap into tech. They went into online kicking and screaming. I feel like they never gave a shit about 1080p for the longest. Moving to 4k is them catching up to the saturation of users. 4k TVs these days are like $20 more than non 4k ones.