Series X/S to start rolling out Dolby Vision support - works with any game that supports HDR

So this is kinda cool, typically this has to be coded into the game but MS apparently found a way to apply it to any game that supports HDR.  MS is really taking it to Sony, not sure how anyone could think otherwise. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2021/03/20/xbox-series-x-and-s-start-receiving-dolby-vision-gaming-upgrade/

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jehurey is a real life Martin from the Simpsons     

That wouldn't happen because nobody invites you to parties.  

So why haven’t they? I’m sure they also can do expandable storage too.. oh wait

I like how he didn't report the update at the very top of the article that says its not working properly, LOL

[UPDATE: As more Xbox Alpha Ring users have been trying out the new Dolby Vision gaming implementation, it’s become clear that it doesn’t work in the way the initial reports I covered in the original version of this story suggested. In fact, in its current build it seems to be applied by the console, like a variation of the existing HGiG (HDR Gaming Interest Group) system, to all HDR games, rather than only being available from a handful of games that have Dolby Vision built into their gaming engines. I have reworded the story below substantially to reflect the new information.]

I was curious as to how that could work, because Dolby Vision usually has a warmer palette of brightness than HDR10.

It wouldn't surprise me if they converted everything into HDR10 because that's more saturated light, and alot of video games already look saturated with their whites.

9 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I like how he didn't report the update at the very top of the article that says its not working properly, LOL

I was curious as to how that could work, because Dolby Vision usually has a warmer palette of brightness than HDR10.

It wouldn't surprise me if they converted everything into HDR10 because that's more saturated light, and alot of video games already look saturated with their whites.

It’s literally saying it’s applied at a system level, not a game level. As I stated lmao. 

27 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

It’s literally saying it’s applied at a system level, not a game level. As I stated lmao. 

of course it would have to be applied at a system level?

How would it be applied at the game level?

its a CONSOLE FIRMWARE update, right? what level do you think that represents?

And............"as I stated"..........the author is saying its clearly not working as intended.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

of course it would have to be applied at a system level?

How would it be applied at the game level?

its a CONSOLE FIRMWARE update, right? what level do you think that represents?

And............"as I stated"..........the author is saying its clearly not working as intended.

Dolby vision film requires the movie to be filmed with DV in mind. Games were thought to be the same way, but MS found a way around it in a way Sony just can’t. 

3 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

Dolby vision film requires the movie to be filmed with DV in mind. Games were thought to be the same way, but MS found a way around it in a way Sony just can’t. 

MS found a way by taking traditional bright and darkness image data and assigning it new brightness values based on Dolby Vision

that's how they do it.

hell, they could probably create a "sepia tone" image filter at the console level and force every game to be played that way, if they wanted to.

and guess what...................I'm having to repeat this to you a third time, because you didn't read the update to your own article.............beta users are reporting that its not working.

Edited by jehurey
54 minutes ago, jehurey said:

MS found a way by taking traditional bright and darkness image data and assigning it new brightness values based on Dolby Vision

that's how they do it.

hell, they could probably create a "sepia tone" image filter at the console level and force every game to be played that way, if they wanted to.

and guess what...................I'm having to repeat this to you a third time, because you didn't read the update to your own article.............beta users are reporting that its not working.

And it’s more than Sony can do :D 

3 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

PS5 is actually completely terrible in tons of games, because the PS5 runs in an always on HDR container..  It causes many SDR games to be a lot brighter than they should be.

Sony has the right idea, they just need to put in the work to create and adjust an algorithm that corrects it on a per game basis.  MS is already doing that.  Problem is is that I'm not sure if PS5 has the hardware support to do it properly.

I'm pretty sure MS is going to do this for Windows.  Have Windows run in an HDR container, always on, and then using ML, correctly tonemap SDR content for everything else.  You'll likely be able to toggle it on and off on a per-app basis too.

Edited by Remij
12 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

I'm pretty sure Sony can do a broken attempt at Fake-HDR conversion system, as well.

I like how this is what you are resorting to. LOL

Even funnier is how you're not even the most pathetic sony-hater in this thread.:drake:

9 minutes ago, lostfool said:

Man Jehurey musr really be fun at parties 🙄

if there were people at a party talking about pathetic xbox shit like this........i would absolutely, positiviely say the same exact things I am saying in this thread.

....and then drink their beers.

and then leave.

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

I'm pretty sure Sony can do a broken attempt at Fake-HDR conversion system, as well.

I like how this is what you are resorting to. LOL

Even funnier is how you're not even the most pathetic sony-hater in this thread.:drake:

So why haven’t they? I’m sure they also can do expandable storage too.. oh wait :tom5:

• Geese 1
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

if there were people at a party talking about pathetic xbox shit like this........i would absolutely, positiviely say the same exact things I am saying in this thread.

....and then drink their beers.

and then leave.

• Haha 1
  • dead 2
1 hour ago, lostfool said:

That would be a good comeback if I didn't just come back from one last night while Frodo beggins and his partner weren't here talking about me throughout the night.

Don't worry, they needed that post to make themselves feel better.

1 hour ago, ghostz life matters said:

So why haven’t they? I’m sure they also can do expandable storage too.. oh wait :tom5:

except i just told you they clearly failed in doing it....oh wait you don't think that far.

LOL, you know its bad when you're looking towards ghost to hide behind.

6 hours ago, jehurey said:

except i just told you they clearly failed in doing it....oh wait you don't think that far.

LOL, you know its bad when you're looking towards ghost to hide behind.

What games on XSX are designed with DV in mind? None. How would you expect it to work at a game level if none are coded to? :D 

but XSX will apply it at a system level and support future games that have it coded into them. Ps5 won’t, tho. 

Edited by ghostz life matters