What's the best bang for your buck PCVR headset?

13 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

Index without question.

Best default tracking method

Best controllers

Best audio 

Best microphone 

Very durable

Highest refresh rate

High resolution 

Incredibly comfortable

Fan accessory increases comfort for long play sessions dramatically 

If money is no object there's nothing better. I bought two for a reason.

20210325_163735.jpg

The Quest 2 is getting 120hz support apparently in the future :wow2: 

And while most of your post is correct... the thread is clearly about the best value proposition for a PC headset.  The Quest 2 is literally less than half the price and supports Steam, Oculus, and whatever else is out there through sideloading.

It's also all-in-one, so it's not tethered to anything if you don't want it to be.  It's also the easiest to setup and go.

Like you said though, if money is no object.. the Index.  If it is.. then the Quest 2 wins out IMO.

1 minute ago, JonbX said:

There arent enough games for VR imo to justify spending the money. But if id get one it would be the one with no wires. VR is dead tho

They're actually coming.  There's enough games out now for Oculus that I'd recommend the Quest 2.

Beat Saber

Boneworks

Super Hot

Lone Echo

Lone Echo 2 (coming)

Asgard's Wrath

Half Life: Alyx

Stormland

Robo Recall

Tetris Effect

The Room VR

Moss

There's also VR versions of lots of first person games, like Fallout and Skyrim and stuff like that, and lots of fun arcade style games too.

HL:A though is on another level.

5 minutes ago, JonbX said:

And once you burn thru those , like, nothing.  Put it back in the closet for 6 months

Yea pretty much.

The Quest 2 is good though in that it's relatively cheap, requires no setup, and has no wires and BS.  So it makes putting it away, and then grabbing it and using it whenever as hassle free as possible.

I will say though, watching stuff in VR on a huge ass virtual screen is pretty awesome.  And with the Quest 2 you can just lay down on your couch and watch shit.  With Virtual Desktop, you can literally just use your PC in VR and watch or do whatever.  Even playing 2D games... you can game on a virtual screen the size of an IMAX theatre. 

Edited by Remij
31 minutes ago, JonbX said:

How long does the battery last? Strapping a headset on to watch movies sounds terrible but i guess if you like that type shit you like it

Depends on what you're doing with it and what you have the brightness set to.  But just using Virtual Desktop and playing PCVR games, I get around 4 hours.  Playing games on the headset itself is like 2-3 hours.

Honestly, it's plenty.  After 3 or so hours you're due for a break anyway.

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Being forced to use a Facebook account and have all of your game purchases tied to it :D oculus is absolute trash 

Your PSVR shit is tied to your PS account too :drake: 

It's not really a big deal.  My whole issue with it in the beginning was that I just didn't want Facebook showing friends and family on my Facebook when I was online and what games and things I was doing.  You can turn all that shit off.. so it's really no different.

23 minutes ago, Remij said:

Depends on what you're doing with it and what you have the brightness set to.  But just using Virtual Desktop and playing PCVR games, I get around 4 hours.  Playing games on the headset itself is like 2-3 hours.

Honestly, it's plenty.  After 3 or so hours you're due for a break anyway.

Thats not bad i guess. IDK why people are mad about FB. Do people not have FB anymore? 

15 minutes ago, JonbX said:

Thats not bad i guess. IDK why people are mad about FB. Do people not have FB anymore? 

Yea.

Well, I kinda understand the Facebook stuff.  People kinda want to leave their "real" selves out of the equation when it comes to online gaming.  

The reality is though, you can just turn off all that shit.

My Oculus Quest 2 came in today and so far i tried Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, and Half-Life Alyx :lawd:

I only tried a few mins of Half-life Alyx since i need to tinker with some viewpoint settings  since default prespective seems to be from the height of a midget (aka ghostz mode) but what I've played is pretty fucking ridiculous. I'm going in blind and just being able to pick up every little item is seriously mindblowing.

The facebook stuff is pretty stupid but it didn't really bother me since I've never had a facebook account and just created a random fake one pretty easily.

Looking forward to trying more tomorrow :majestic:

20 minutes ago, Delita said:

My Oculus Quest 2 came in today and so far i tried Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, and Half-Life Alyx :lawd:

I only tried a few mins of Half-life Alyx since i need to tinker with some viewpoint settings  since default prespective seems to be from the height of a midget (aka ghostz mode) but what I've played is pretty fucking ridiculous. I'm going in blind and just being able to pick up every little item is seriously mindblowing.

The facebook stuff is pretty stupid but it didn't really bother me since I've never had a facebook account and just created a random fake one pretty easily.

Looking forward to trying more tomorrow :majestic:

You made the right choice :blessed: 

And yea, it's insane once you get everything configured to your liking.  It's all the pluses of a PCVR headset... and all the pluses of a stand-alone set which already has a decent enough processor to handle awesome games.  Not to mention it's got the industry standard controllers that every VR developer targets, as well as inside out tracking with no setup.  It's as simple as drawing your play area on the floor and away you go.  120hz support is coming too in a future update.  Oculus is just getting started with this shit :smoke: 

• aitch 1