Rumour: Evidence Of A "New" Nintendo Switch Dock Supposedly Datamined In System Update 12.0.0

2 hours ago, Casual said:

Cool. Something I'd probably pick up assuming the performance boost is significant. Mostly play docked so I'd prefer this to a whole new model.

It says nothing about the dock having any GPU or doing any processing... just that it's a new dock.  We'll have to wait for more information.

Maybe there is 2 options like X|S. 

Version A: New tablet with better screen and specs and a dock 

Version B: a boost dock that works with your old switch for people who don't play mobile as much. 

15 minutes ago, Cooke said:

Version B: a boost dock that works with your old switch for people who don't play mobile as much. 

I think you need to just drop the idea of a boost dock for this time around.

If this upcoming Switch is just a "Pro" upgrade... it's just going to be a tablet upgrade IMO.

A Switch "dock" with additional processing power might as well just be it's own SKU and released as a powerful console for the living room.  Because that's going to be a few hundred all on its own.

48 minutes ago, Cooke said:

The current dock displays port maxes out at 4K 30fps,  So for the new Switch the display port needs to maz out at a higher refresh rate than 30fps.

The new dock will be backward compatible with this old Switch, but don't expect any boost in performance of the current model.

Any boost in performance will be by the SOC within this time tablet with the dock being used to facilitate better visuals when docked. 

Yeah I think the upgrade will be in the chip located in the actual Switch Pro upgrade itself versus the dock. The dock will just be able to output at the higher resolution but won’t give a performance boost because that’s still all tied to the new chip. Hoping nvidia can deliver.