Jeff Grubb (Venturebeat) says Abandoned is not Kojima's horror game... Kojima in talks with MS about publishing his next game

https://venturebeat.com/2021/04/07/abandoned-for-ps5-is-not-a-secret-hideo-kojima-game/

Kojima Productions is making a new game, but it is not Abandoned for PlayStation 5. Earlier today, Sony Interactive Entertainment revealed a trailer for Abandoned, which is a horror project from developer Blue Box Games. But that trailer, and the developer’s spotty history, are just odd enough to cause some people to speculate that Abandoned is secretly the next game from Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima. That is not the case.

One of the reasons people believe Abandoned is from Kojima is because it’s difficult to find a lot of information about Blue Box Games. But that isn’t because it is a shell corporation for Kojima Productions. Instead, Blue Box is simply a small studio that has never released a major console game before.
Blue Box’s website is dead. It has a game in Early Access on Steam that it has stopped updating. And it has yet another similar game that it attempted to launch on Steam’s now-defunct Greenlight program.

I get it, though. Maybe Kojima was playing the long-con. And it was him behind this studio all along. He was simply waiting for the moment to strike, and that time has come.

But the biggest piece of evidence I have that Abandoned is not a Kojima joint is that Kojima is in talks with Microsoft about publishing his next game, according to a source familiar with the matter. And yes, that statue on Phil Spencer’s shelf was referencing a potential deal with the legendary developer. I cannot confirm if Xbox closed the deal yet, but my understanding is that Kojima is the focus of a Microsoft plan to leverage Japanese talent.

So you’ll have to enjoy Abandoned absent Kojima’s marketing stunts.

It MS got Kojima's horror game.. that would be pretty huge.

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

who the hell thought that would be kojima's game? Nothing about the trailer direction or look resembled a kojima game. It just looks like another dime a dozen horror game.

I dunno, that's what the article said lmfao.

But I doubt anyone was actually thinking that.  I think Jeff Grubb did that deliberately so that he had a way of posting the hint that Kojima and MS are in talks :D 

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

I would not be surprised if MS secured kojima. They are out to play hard ball! 

I wouldn't be too surprised. I'm not so sure Sony would be overally keen to work with him again. Death Stranding was amazing but commercially didn't set the world on fire especially considering how much they pushed it. Nearly all their other big first party games outperformed it, even Days Gone (which was critically panned but sold very well). 

MS can through the money around and not really care too much on the return of the specific game as they are just spending it for the image boost. Sony currently trying to have each of their major first party games be absolute blockbusters.

49 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I wouldn't be too surprised. I'm not so sure Sony would be overally keen to work with him again. Death Stranding was amazing but commercially didn't set the world on fire especially considering how much they pushed it. Nearly all their other big first party games outperformed it, even Days Gone (which was critically panned but sold very well). 

MS can through the money around and not really care too much on the return of the specific game as they are just spending it for the image boost. Sony currently trying to have each of their major first party games be absolute blockbusters.

The problem now.. is that Jim Ryan is running the show.  Kojima was chummy with Mark Cerny and Andrew House.  Those guys would have funded Kojima's pet projects until he retired if that's what he wanted.

Now that Ryan is running the show though, and like you said DS didn't light the charts on fire because it dared to be a bit different... it's likely Kojima was looking around for potential publishers.  He was apparently in with Google on something (which might be the MS game now).. It could also be that Kojima has multiple games in the pipe and is working with both MS and Sony?  Who knows? 

But I think MS definitely has something with him because of these rumors and Phil so obviously displaying the Kojima Productions statue in the background.

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

The problem now.. is that Jim Ryan is running the show.  Kojima was chummy with Mark Cerny and Andrew House.  Those guys would have funded Kojima's pet projects until he retired if that's what he wanted.

Now that Ryan is running the show though, and like you said DS didn't light the charts on fire because it dared to be a bit different... it's likely Kojima was looking around for potential publishers.  He was apparently in with Google on something (which might be the MS game now).. It could also be that Kojima has multiple games in the pipe and is working with both MS and Sony?  Who knows? 

But I think MS definitely has something with him because of these rumors and Phil so obviously displaying the Kojima Productions statue in the background.

Yeah I can very much believe he will make a game with MS, especially since he did mention he wants to work on smaller projects which would fit the MS GP model a lot more than the AAAA blockbusters Sony is going for. 

Just now, madmaltese said:

Yeah I can very much believe he will make a game with MS, especially since he did mention he wants to work on smaller projects which would fit the MS GP model a lot more than the AAAA blockbusters Sony is going for. 

Yep.  That's what I'm thinking.  If this project of his is what he was pitching to Google, and then now MS... it's very likely that this is a kind of episodic or smaller project which gel's well with the "streaming/subscription" model that those 2 companies are looking for.

Makes perfect sense.

Just now, Remij said:

Yep.  That's what I'm thinking.  If this project of his is what he was pitching to Google, and then now MS... it's very likely that this is a kind of episodic or smaller project which gel's well with the "streaming/subscription" model that those 2 companies are looking for.

Makes perfect sense.

If it means a free Kojima game thanks to GP then I'm all for it :aitch:

Just now, madmaltese said:

If it means a free Kojima game thanks to GP then I'm all for it :aitch:

Makes me wonder if it does happen what engine they'll use?  Maybe switch to UE5 or something?

I guess we'll hear something about it soon enough one way or another.  An episodic horror game or something would be pretty badass.  Imagine something like PT but obviously a bit more meaty.. and then having multiple of them covering different environments or characters with different stories and gameplay... and then they all combine creating an overarching story that the community has to piece together.

Could be badass.. but I'm fanfic'ing hard right now :D 

Just now, Remij said:

Makes me wonder if it does happen what engine they'll use?  Maybe switch to UE5 or something?

I guess we'll hear something about it soon enough one way or another.  An episodic horror game or something would be pretty badass.  Imagine something like PT but obviously a bit more meaty.. and then having multiple of them covering different environments or characters with different stories and gameplay... and then they all combine creating an overarching story that the community has to piece together.

Could be badass.. but I'm fanfic'ing hard right now :D 

I think it's a project that is probably already well underway and they would've known it wasn't going to be with Sony so most likely UE (can't see him using Unity). Rumours probably coming out now since maybe they've had to shop the game around since the Stadia stuff has fallen through. 

Yeah that would be sick and exactly what I want, even if not the episodic nature. But a 5-10 hour PT style game, set in a single location with a bunch of hidden things for players to discover.