New Playstation Job listing - Head of Mobile, Playstation Studios

https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/3051283

Do you want to lead the development and strategy of mobile gaming and help shape the future of gaming for a world-class studio? As Head of Mobile, you will own and develop the mobile games strategy for PlayStation Studios and help build a foundation for future growth opportunities. You will lead all aspects of the expansion of our game development from consoles and PCs to mobile & Live Services with a focus on successfully adapting PlayStation’s most popular franchises for mobile. You will be responsible for building and scaling a team of mobile leaders and will serve as the Head of this new business unit within PlayStation Studios.

:hehe: 

And which division releases their games on PC?

aaa.png

:lul: 

I only have one thing to say

WHO THE FUCK AT SONY IS MAKING ALL THESE SHIT DECISIONS :kaz: 

• Haha 1
  • dead 2

Horizon seems to sell well on STEAM and Days Gone is coming out soon. I have no doubts we will see more ports from these guys. God of War, Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima is easy money.

6 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Horizon seems to sell well on STEAM and Days Gone is coming out soon. I have no doubts we will see more ports from these guys. God of War, Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima is easy money.

Oh for sure.  These ports will help pay off a big chunk of upcoming PS5 games.. taking some of the risk out of their development as well.

This is a SMART business plan from Sony.  Only idiot fanboys would be upset about it.

37 minutes ago, Remij said:

Oh for sure.  These ports will help pay off a big chunk of upcoming PS5 games.. taking some of the risk out of their development as well.

This is a SMART business plan from Sony.  Only idiot fanboys would be upset about it.

Years old ports makes sense, no one is buying a PS4 right now to play Horizon and Days Gone.

Day one ports would be really stupid at this stage though.

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Years old ports makes sense, no one is buying a PS4 right now to play Horizon and Days Gone.

Day one ports would be really stupid at this stage though.

At this stage of course.  But make no mistake... Sony will get there quicker than you think.

1 hour ago, JonB said:

Day one ports would only sell more games . Jimmy wants to make money and he knows how to make money.  He doesn't care about his butthurt fanboys and that's good 

He'll care when it start affecting hardware sales. Right now they are enjoy their launch hype bubble with limited stocks and PS4 has already reached a saturation point so nothing changed.

If they start porting their games day one on PC it's going to get really ugly for them throughout the gen. PS4 would have never reached those numbers without it's appealing exclusives line-up.

8 hours ago, Twinblade said:

you know whats really funny about this tho? Bloodborne now has a greater chance of coming to iOS first than PC at this point :tom:

So what you're saying is there's 100% chance it's coming to iOS then?

Because it's 100% coming to PC :reg: 

:juggle: 

7 hours ago, Ramza said:

He'll care when it start affecting hardware sales. Right now they are enjoy their launch hype bubble with limited stocks and PS4 has already reached a saturation point so nothing changed.

If they start porting their games day one on PC it's going to get really ugly for them throughout the gen. PS4 would have never reached those numbers without it's appealing exclusives line-up.

They dont make money on hardware . They make a lot on software .

Doubt it will even affect console sales to a noticeable amount anyway 

6 minutes ago, JonB said:

They dont make money on hardware . They make a lot on software .

Doubt it will even affect console sales to a noticeable amount anyway 

They make a lot of money selling third party softwares on their first party hardware, it's called royalty and it represents a shit load of money.

You may be right that it won't affect consoles sales that much. It did for Microsoft with the Xbox One though, but it might also be due to a lot of other factors.

10 minutes ago, JonB said:

I dont think consoles sales of Xbox were affected by its games being on pc also

It definitely was, among other things. Maybe uninformed casual gamers aren't aware or doesn't care, but the core gamers, the premium consumers who spent the most money... they fucking know and take it into consideration before choosing which hardware to buy.

I think it played a part in Xbox One being firmly in last place all gen. Or at least hurts the brand image in the eyes of core gamers. Sure did for me anyway.

11 minutes ago, Ramza said:

They make a lot of money selling third party softwares on their first party hardware, it's called royalty and it represents a shit load of money.

You may be right that it won't affect consoles sales that much. It did for Microsoft with the Xbox One though, but it might also be due to a lot of other factors.

Yea, I don't think it will affect console sales that much.  There's a group that want $500 gaming only devices that do everything they require.

There's only a very vocal minority that actually threaten to not buy a console because x or y is coming to PC.  Those people hardly follow through.

The fact is.. Sony stands to gain more from the extra people that will buy their games on PC.. VS people that they'll "lose" from console sales.  If those people go and buy PCs and buy Sony games on PC... Sony is still laughing.  They haven't really "lost" anyone.  Games are what makes money anyway.  Once Sony finds a way to start charging PC gamers for their online services... it's a wrap.  The console market has a limit.. around 200M.  They already know they aren't going to be able to expand far beyond 120M...  They have to expand and reach other gamers.  You don't make the kind of games Sony wants to make... and ONLY hit a tiny fraction of the gaming userbase.

Jim is a smart guy.. the best thing he can do is start adopting this stuff now and be ready by the time the market is ready.  He knows it's the only way Sony stays relevant and afloat.  Sony will also bleed talent if they aren't able to support their budgets for games and try some new shit in the AAA space every once in a while.  Being able to hit more markets..even if it's 1 year or so after the fact.. will reduce the risk.  It's just a fact.

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yea, I don't think it will affect console sales that much.  There's a group that want $500 gaming only devices that do everything they require.

There's only a very vocal minority that actually threaten to not buy a console because x or y is coming to PC.  Those people hardly follow through.

The fact is.. Sony stands to gain more from the extra people that will buy their games on PC.. VS people that they'll "lose" from console sales.  If those people go and buy PCs and buy Sony games on PC... Sony is still laughing.  They haven't really "lost" anyone.  Games are what makes money anyway.  Once Sony finds a way to start charging PC gamers for their online services... it's a wrap.  The console market has a limit.. around 200M.  They already know they aren't going to be able to expand far beyond 120M...  They have to expand and reach other gamers.  You don't make the kind of games Sony wants to make... and ONLY hit a tiny fraction of the gaming userbase.

Jim is a smart guy.. the best thing he can do is start adopting this stuff now and be ready by the time the market is ready.  He knows it's the only way Sony stays relevant and afloat.  Sony will also bleed talent if they aren't able to support their budgets for games and try some new shit in the AAA space every once in a while.  Being able to hit more markets..even if it's 1 year or so after the fact.. will reduce the risk.  It's just a fact.

It's not like Sony's first party wasn't already super successful and made a shit load of money, in all the history of the Playstation brand Sony's first party games have never been this successful.

I understand your logic but I'll just keep saying what I have been saying for a while: late ports makes sense for Sony to make extra revenue but not day one multiplatform releases, it's too risky. The PS4 lived by and made a name for itself with it's exclusives. 

Xbox Series X at least has Gamepass to reel people in. PS5 without exclusives at all though, no appeal whatsoever except for dumb mass consumers.

Just now, Ramza said:

It's not like Sony's first party wasn't already super successful and made a shit load of money, in all the history of the Playstation brand Sony's first party games have never been this successful.

I understand your logic but I'll just keep saying what I have been saying for a while: late ports makes sense for Sony to make extra revenue but not day one multiplatform releases, it's too risky. The PS4 lived by and made a name for itself with it's exclusives. 

Xbox Series X at least has Gamepass to reel people in. PS5 without exclusives at all though, no appeal whatsoever except for dumb mass consumers.

Oh I agree for now.  But I also believe it will get there, and sooner than people imagine.  The new Sony management doesn't give a fuck about fanboys.  They give a fuck about making money.  And console sales aren't what makes money.  YES of course it drives the engagement of your platform's ecosystem...but like I said.. once Sony expands that so it will work on anything... then there's nothing requiring them to sell consoles to make things work.  That's why engagement is actually the be all and end all of the business.  If Sony can make PC gamers pay for their services... and can actually build up a sizable userbase.  Then you'll see Sony put less emphasis on selling their own device, and instead supporting everything.

It's not going to happen over night though.

5 minutes ago, Remij said:

Oh I agree for now.  But I also believe it will get there, and sooner than people imagine.  The new Sony management doesn't give a fuck about fanboys.  They give a fuck about making money.  And console sales aren't what makes money.  YES of course it drives the engagement of your platform's ecosystem...but like I said.. once Sony expands that so it will work on anything... then there's nothing requiring them to sell consoles to make things work.  That's why engagement is actually the be all and end all of the business.  If Sony can make PC gamers pay for their services... and can actually build up a sizable userbase.  Then you'll see Sony put less emphasis on selling their own device, and instead supporting everything.

It's not going to happen over night though.

You're making a lot of sense, especially if they can extend the Playstation Network over to PC and force back consumers in their own ecosystem. 

But surely the PS4 hardware did make them money over time, it had a long lifespan and the prices remained high, plus all the proprietary junk that comes with a consoles like controllers or even the PSVR. Launch window are bad for consoles in term of profitability, but long term they definitely make money. Otherwise your vision would already be in full effect.