Microsoft Game Stack Live event is going on now

Sessions are coming online and they'll be going into more information about all the upcoming features and tech in gaming.

They announced the "DX12 Agility SDK".  Essentially with DX feature updates, they used to only be able to be released with major Windows updates.. which would only happen once or twice per year.  That means devs had to wait for the Windows updates to get new features despite them being ready far earlier.  Now, with the Agility SDK.. they've essentially decoupled DirectX updates and feature updates from Windows update.. so developers can get access to these features as soon as they are ready.  With the Agility SDK it also allows developers to target a much larger user base since they can guarantee that the new DX features can run on older devices that aren't updated to the latest version of Windows.

That's fucking awesome.

I'll continue to nerd out on this stuff and post the cool stuff that gets announced :fblike: 

• Like 1

Sampler Feedback Streaming is the real deal

Fully compatible with DX12U hardware.  Xbox Series X and S have special filters built in hardware to help with streaming misses to reduce any visible pop-in.

This shit is game changing.  10GB of textures in this particular demo. 

Loaded into memory:

2.7GB of textures need to be loaded on One X - 22sec

565MB need to be loaded on Series X - 0.19sec

lmfao.. absolutely insane.  The demo also shows exactly how the streaming works and shows how the feedback allows them to be selective of which tiles they load from any given mip map level.

This gives Series X/S consoles an effective 10GB/s throughput, and MS confirms that 2GB/s throughput is sustained.

DirectStorage detailed for PC

Today at Game Stack Live, MS went into more detail about how their upcoming DirectStorage API for Windows will work.  Essentially it will allow developers to bypass having to decompress GPU data first on the CPU into system memory, then again utilizing the CPU to copy that data from system RAM to VRAM.

We essentially already knew this, but they go into more detail about how it actually works.

Before:

Storage (old stack, compressed) > CPU (decompression) > RAM > CPU (copy overhead) > VRAM

Now:

Storage (optimized stack, compressed) > CPU (compressed) > GPU (decompression) > VRAM

So the awesome thing now.. is that GPU data like textures doesn't need to be decompressed before it gets to VRAM.  This means no CPU overhead in decompressing then copying that data for the GPU to be able to use.  The GPU receives the compressed data, decompresses it much MUCH faster than the CPU could ever hope to, and then can use that data.

MS also announced they are developing a specialized decompressor for GPU data decompression with Nvidia/AMD/Intel, since PC doesn't have a dedicated decompression block like consoles.  This will serve as a bridge until specialized hardware decompression blocks become available on PC.  This is what RTX I/O and AMD's equivalent are.

When used in conjunction with Sampler Feedback Streaming, this combines to give a MASSIVE generational paradigm shift in throughput and efficiency.  MS confirmed that this will work on all DX12U devices, as well as all Gen3 and newer NVMe drives.

Edited by Remij
1 hour ago, Remij said:

Uh, it's a PC focused event dude lmfao...

2 hours ago, Remij said:

Sampler Feedback Streaming is the real deal

Fully compatible with DX12U hardware.  Xbox Series X and S have special filters built in hardware to help with streaming misses to reduce any visible pop-in.

This shit is game changing.  10GB of textures in this particular demo. 

Loaded into memory:

2.7GB of textures need to be loaded on One X - 22sec

565MB need to be loaded on Series X - 0.19sec

lmfao.. absolutely insane.  The demo also shows exactly how the streaming works and shows how the feedback allows them to be selective of which tiles they load from any given mip map level.

This gives Series X/S consoles an effective 10GB/s throughput, and MS confirms that 2GB/s throughput is sustained.

You lemming is showing LemiJ. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

You lemming is showing LemiJ. 

Jesus christ... I'm stating the realities of the hardware that support it. :D 

You have such a hate on for my you're blind to even the most basic shit.

Just now, Remij said:

Jesus christ... I'm stating the realities of the hardware that support it. :D 

You have such a hate on for my you're blind to even the most basic shit.

Don't care enough about anyone on this site to hate them kid. 

just pointing out that you just claimed it's a PC event but in the post before you were jizzing about Xbox.:bena: 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Don't care enough about anyone on this site to hate them kid. 

just pointing out that you just claimed it's a PC event but in the post before you were jizzing about Xbox.:bena: 

I wasn't jizzing about anything besides the tech son :denzel:

And I care because it's all PC features that benefit me as a PC gamer :blessed: 

If Sony would actually talk about their tech more, I'd make threads about that too :feelsbadman: