First 45 minutes of Returnal

52 minutes ago, Ramza said:

So the fuck what, this game still isn't impressive and could easily run on my PC anyway. There's nothing that screams next-gen about those visuals and that's a fact, regardless on how you want to stack the PS5 compared to my laptop. lol

:D

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's nothing special visually... cmon now :cosby2: 

yet a lot of sites are praising its gameplay and visuals. yeah, it's not some ray tracing tech demo, but it wouldn't look this good on last gen consoles or david's ghetto pc. 

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

yet a lot of sites are praising its gameplay and visuals. yeah, it's not some ray tracing tech demo, but it wouldn't look this good on last gen consoles or david's ghetto pc. 

Sites are overrating the FUCK out of this.  I'm not saying the gameplay is bad... but visually... oh you better believe it's overrated.

I don't think there's anything happening here that couldn't happen on a PS4 at 1080p.  What do you find so special about it?

Just now, Remij said:

Sites are overrating the FUCK out of this.  I'm not saying the gameplay is bad... but visually... oh you better believe it's overrated.

I don't think there's anything happening here that couldn't happen on a PS4 at 1080p.  What do you find so special about it?

the speed at which everything moves, especially when you factor in its textures, lighting and models. every tech breakdown has been solid. it's not going to be the new standard like ratchet will be, but it looks great. 

Just now, -GD-X said:

the speed at which everything moves, especially when you factor in its textures, lighting and models. every tech breakdown has been solid. it's not going to be the new standard like ratchet will be, but it looks great. 

Every impressive looking part of this game.. is cinematics... which are all CG videos..not even rendered in real time.

There's some nice visual effect work... but this isn't anything special... especially as a PS5 only game.  This is totally doable on last gen.

Just now, Remij said:

Every impressive looking part of this game.. is cinematics... which are all CG videos..not even rendered in real time.

There's some nice visual effect work... but this isn't anything special... especially as a PS5 only game.  This is totally doable on last gen.

with lots of compromises, sure. 

Just now, -GD-X said:

my only worry with the game is....will it still be fun after 3 hours? so, i haven't decided if this will be a day 1 yet. 

Well, I'll tell you.. I LOVE Rogue-lite and Rogue-like games.. and one of my personal favorite games of all time "The Binding of Isaac" NEVER gets old man.  Many people would look at that game and say it's not worth $60-70... and maybe for them it isn't.  But for me... I'd EASILY pay $70 for a Binding of Isaac game.. because there's literally hundreds of hours worth of gameplay and content there.  You absolutely get your moneys worth.. assuming you like the style of game.

When done properly.. the randomized nature of the game can add SOOOO much more to the entire experience.

I have no doubt in my mind that this is a good game...  Housemarque doesn't make bad games.  However, I do think that this game is being overrated because people are simply starving for new "current gen only" titles.  Visually, it looks great, don't get me wrong.. but it's nothing mindblowing.  I have no doubt in my mind that this would run fine on David's PC at 1080p 60fps.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Remij said:

Well, I'll tell you.. I LOVE Rogue-lite and Rogue-like games.. and one of my personal favorite games of all time "The Binding of Isaac" NEVER gets old man.  Many people would look at that game and say it's not worth $60-70... and maybe for them it isn't.  But for me... I'd EASILY pay $70 for a Binding of Isaac game.. because there's literally hundreds of hours worth of gameplay and content there.  You absolutely get your moneys worth.. assuming you like the style of game.

When done properly.. the randomized nature of the game can add SOOOO much more to the entire experience.

I have no doubt in my mind that this is a good game...  Housemarque doesn't make bad games.  However, I do think that this game is being overrated because people are simply starving for new "current gen only" titles.  Visually, it looks great, don't get me wrong.. but it's nothing mindblowing.  I have no doubt in my mind that this would run fine on David's PC at 1080p 60fps.

the only rogue-like game i ever loved was hades. holy fuck that was fun. so, it's why i'm giving this game a chance. i personally think higher about the visuals than you do, but that's fine. we can disagree. i think the most impressive aspect of the title's look is how fast the character moves, considering the detail and lighting. though, while visually pleasing, it just looks like a total blast. also, the atmosphere and creature design are right up my alley, and apparently this has the best use of the dualsense since astrobot (which i was great!). i'm actually fine with games being cross-gen. i think ratchet is the only "ok, this can only be done on a next gen system or pc" console game i've seen.  i just want some diversity with returnal's environments, and i want there to be a story/world worth diving into. so, that's why i'm taking a "wait and see" approach. i hope it does well/great, but i'm fine if it flops too (would be funny lol). i always find something to play on my 3 consoles, so all good. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...