Nier Replicant Remi Review

10/10

Feels sooo fucking nice to be back :aitch: 

PC version has been flawless for me so far.. but mind you you have to do 2 things.  Make sure your monitor refresh rate is either 60 or a multiple of it.. so 120 for me.  And then limit the FPS to 60 so that it's not sped up.  LMAO it's pretty pathetic than in 2021 we're still dealing with games that have animation tied to framerate..

Oh well.

The game just feels sooo nice at 60fps though compared to the original.  I love how fluid everything is.  And compared to Automata, this is such a big improvement technically.  In Automata there's lots of pop-in and jank while you're traversing the lands, but here, it's MUCH more detailed and no LOD pop-in or texture pop-in either.  That said, of course there's still plenty of low res textures and model complexity isn't anything crazy.  But it just feels right for Nier.

I like the OST arrangements so far too, although they certainly don't replace the original for me.  I'm still looking forward to the mods that will come to this game.  I'm sure there will be texture and mods that replace the new OST with the original.

Still can't believe I'm playing a Remake of Nier... dreams can happen :wow2: 

@bhytre @Team 2019 

• aitch 1

It's not working properly on my PC. The framerates are abysmal no matter what I do and no it's not because my PC suck, I should be able to max it at a locked 60fps easily. 

Might have to update my drivers. I dunno.

Wait, my screen is 144hz... that's the issue? lmao

Edited by Ramza
Just now, Ramza said:

It's not working properly on my PC. The framerates are abysmal no matter what I do and no it's not because my PC suck, I should be able to max it at a locked 60fps easily. 

:D

Just now, -GD-X said:

:-* just busting your balls

I know but my balls are already busted. :D I rarely have issues with PC games but when it happens with a full price game on day one and you can't fucking play it, it's fucking annoying as hell.

Just now, Ramza said:

I know but my balls are already busted. :D I rarely have issues with PC games but when it happens with a full price game on day one and you can't fucking play it, it's fucking annoying as hell.

ha! i bet! i'd be pissed too! 

10 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Wait, my screen is 144hz... that's the issue? lmao

Yes, it's because your refreshrate is higher than 120.  Set it to 120 in the Nvidia control panel and the game will use a double buffer vsync and lock at 60fps.

If it's set to 144hz the game will lock to 48fps which is a triple buffer vsync... that's likely what you experienced.

Also go into the game's Properties > Controller > Disable Steam Input.

The game is flawless for me.

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yes, it's because your refreshrate is higher than 120.  Set it to 120 in the Nvidia control panel and the game will use a double buffer vsync and lock at 60fps.

If it's set to 144hz the game will lock to 48fps which is a triple buffer vsync... that's likely what you experienced.

Also go into the game's Properties > Controller > Disable Steam Input.

The game is flawless for me.

I changed the refresh rate to 60 in windows setting and the game still runs like ass. 

4 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I changed the refresh rate to 60 in windows setting and the game still runs like ass. 

Disable the steam input as I mentioned.

Since you're on a laptop, also make sure the game is utilizing the correct GPU...  Sometimes laptops have a discreet GPU as well as an integrated GPU, the game can default to the integrated GPU instead sometimes.

Windows Settings > System > scroll down to Graphics settings > browse and add the game's exe and set it to high performance.

What kind of fps are you getting?

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Remij said:

Disable the steam input as I mentioned.

Since you're on a laptop, also make sure the game is utilizing the correct GPU...  Sometimes laptops have a discreet GPU as well as an integrated GPU, the game can default to the integrated GPU instead sometimes.

Windows Settings > System > scroll down to Graphics settings > browse and add the game's exe and set it to high performance.

What kind of fps are you getting?

That's not it, my Asus come with pre established performances modes, the high end one emphasizes the performance of the GPU and can even overclock it. I always game in performance mode.

The fps was ridiculous, like 13-20. Ran in slow mo. 

Just now, Ramza said:

That's not it, my Asus come with pre established performances modes, the high end one emphasizes the performance of the GPU and can even overclock it. I always game in performance mode.

The fps was ridiculous, like 13-20. Ran in slow mo. 

Do the controller thing...  It's even posted on the steam forums where one user had like 10fps.. and it was a controller issue.  Essentially Steam's input and the game's input fight with each other and flood the input thread causing performance like you're describing.

JUST DO THE FUCKING CONTROLLER THING :D 

And no, this is separate from that stuff.  That's performance modes for your GPU... but Windows itself can decide what apps run on which GPU, if your laptop happens to have an iGPU. Trust me on that.  

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Remij said:

Do the controller thing...  It's even posted on the steam forums where one user had like 10fps.. and it was a controller issue.  Essentially Steam's input and the game's input fight with each other and flood the input thread causing performance like you're describing.

JUST DO THE FUCKING CONTROLLER THING :D 

And no, this is separate from that stuff.  That's performance modes for your GPU... but Windows itself can decide what apps run on which GPU, if your laptop happens to have an iGPU. Trust me on that.  

Controller thing didn't work. 

7 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Controller thing didn't work. 

Oh ffs :mad: 

lol I dunno mane..  make sure your refresh rate is set to 60 or 120, and the controller thing is done.

After that... it should be absolutely fine.  If it's still running like shit, then it could be what I said about the integrated GPU being used instead of the more powerful one.

Force it to use the correct GPU in the Nvidia control panel.

nn.png

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Ramza said:

@Remij

Forcing the game to run in high performance mode through windows worked like you said. It was running on some shitty integrated GPU for power saving mode. Holy shit. :D 

Yep, it happens sometimes with laptops and desktop CPUs which have integrated gpus in them.  It's nice that the option is there if you're trying to save battery doing other shit.. but yea.. figured that was the case :fblike: