• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need to get back to the gym   i got in much better shape last year when I was off work doing a 12 week challenge. Now I’m turning into TJ 

i started on 30 mins a week ago now up to this non stop rowing lol

🙂 still bro'ing  

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah idk. I tried 30s and it is slightly quieter but I can still feel rattling vibrations as the parts move against each other. It’s the same for both units. Maybe this is a flaw of the cheaper version, vs the more expensive one you have. I did just search Amazon reviews/Q and A and some people are reporting this happening to them as well. 

I’m going to test them in a workout tomorrow and see if they end up being problematic. 

I used to own the 552s. I wouldn’t worry. Also, since they are new, they haven’t been broken in yet.

I did a workout with the 552s. So the rattling/clanking actually didn't bother me and wasn't even noticeable in many of the moves I performed.

They actually work pretty well and I only have some small gripes

- Because of their size its harder to do moves where the dumbbells' are close to each other. I ended up hitting them together a few times which has me concerned that long term their reliability might be an issue.

- The manual states that you can't lean on them or use them to support your body weight as that can damage the plates. Since I do renegade rows occasionally, ill have to modify that move or find an alternative

- Since many of the workouts I do are based around hypertrophy training, the 'breaks' I have to take when setting my desired weight could be having an effect on my overall gainz. A minor issue im sure as its literally just a few seconds of difference compared to just grabbing a regular dumbbell off the rack, but still worth mentioning.

@Twinblade they are pretty durable. Some light banging is fine (obviously, don’t drop them on a regular basis). Yeah, you’ll have to adjust certain moves, due to their size, but everything will feel natural in a few weeks. Renegade rows are a no go, but there are plenty of alternatives. As for hypertrophy, a few extra seconds won’t affect your gains. Hell, you get hypertrophy, even without drop sets.

• Upvote 1

So I've had to change my form for some moves in a way that makes them harder, and I can't tell if its a beneficial type of harder or one thats putting extra tension in the wrong places

For example take military/overhead presses. Because of the increased size of the dumbells, I can't move them as close together when at the peak of the movement and my arms instead flare to the side (which is a noticeably harder movement in general) instead of being completely straight. Shit MS paint drawing examples below:

regular dumbbells

Untitled1.thumb.png.43c06af5d88a9524a21ea382c5a11ac1.png

552s

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.b7eee12a6e8b53b4cbf1dff4cc11c42d.jpg

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So I've had to change my form for some moves in a way that makes them harder, and I can't tell if its a beneficial type of harder or one thats putting extra tension in the wrong places

For example take military/overhead presses. Because of the increased size of the dumbells, I can't move them as close together when at the peak of the movement and my arms instead flare to the side (which is a noticeably harder movement in general) instead of being completely straight. Shit MS paint drawing examples below:

regular dumbbells

Untitled1.thumb.png.43c06af5d88a9524a21ea382c5a11ac1.png

552s

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.b7eee12a6e8b53b4cbf1dff4cc11c42d.jpg

do neutral grip. way better for your shoulders anyhow. 

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I just looked up rowing machines, apparently they're good for cardio but can also give you a full body resistance workout? thats pretty cool.

Yup. Pretty amazing machine. 

• Like 1

So yeah BIA scales seem vital at least for someone with my body type. I get moments of disappointment because on the surface it feels like im not noticing as many gains as i'd like (probably because im increasing my body fat at the same time so muscle growth isn't as noticeable) but in the past few weeks according to the accompanying app my muscle mass increased by around 7 lbs. Obviously its not entirely accurate, but its nice to having some kind of metric to go off to feel like you're slowly improving.

54 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

@Twinblade, go on a short cut. It will burn the fat off of the new muscle you’ve gained. Then, go back to your bulking program. 

I thought about that but im kinda on a roll with the weight gain and feel like if I go on a cut im gonna have trouble putting more back on afterwards. I think If I can gain another 10-15 more lbs then ill have a good enough base that I can start a regular cut from.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I thought about that but im kinda on a roll with the weight gain and feel like if I go on a cut im gonna have trouble putting more back on afterwards. I think If I can gain another 10-15 more lbs then ill have a good enough base that I can start a regular cut from.

Still doing p90x3?