PlayStation Has Registered Sunset Overdrive Trademark

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop said:

Microsoft is very open to things within their wheelhouse, Quantum break came to PC because remedy requested it. There was no intention to do that but they wanted to do it so they were allowed to. Nothing different in this situation, Insomniac wanted to do a PC Port all they had to do was ask the publisher that was the end of it

No, the rights to the IP is entirely within Insomniac.

Who am I going to believe..............YOU? Or the head of Insomniac

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/26/sunset-overdrive-2-could-happen-be-multiplatform-with-the-right-publisher

Insomniac CEO Ted Price has once again explained that his company is open to making a sequel to Sunset Overdrive, but would "need a partner for that".

Speaking on Insomniac's Twitch stream, Price was asked whether any of the studio's owned IP could make a return:

"Sunset [Overdrive] is something that I know a lot of our fans talk about wanting to see the sequel," he responded. "We need a partner for that. That's a big game; Sunset 2 would be a very large-scope game."He continued by explaining that because the company wholly owns the IP, a new publisher could mean a sequel would appear across multiple platforms, moving away from the first game's Xbox One exclusivity.

:trump:

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, the rights to the IP is entirely within Insomniac.

Who am I going to believe..............YOU? Or the head of Insomniac

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/26/sunset-overdrive-2-could-happen-be-multiplatform-with-the-right-publisher

:trump:

Owning the IP has nothing to do with owning the right to publish. Microsoft never owned Alan Wake as an IP, they however owned the right to publish which is exactly why Remedy had to purchase those rights back from them in order to make AWE for Control.

Owning the IP =/= publishing rights. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop said:

Owning the IP has nothing to do with owning the right to publish. Microsoft never owned Alan Wake as an IP, they however owned the right to publish which is exactly why Remedy had to purchase those rights back from them in order to make AWE for Control.

No, they're going to publish a sequel with Sony.

Sorry.............there's nothing you can say that is going to change that.

LOL Remedy "purchased" the rights to use Alan Wake content in Control.

No, they didn't purchase anything. The explanation is quite clear:

“For its first half-year period of 2019, Remedy Entertainment Plc records approximately 2.5 million euros of royalties from previously released games as one-time income. The royalties are paid to Remedy during the second half-year period of 2019. In relation to this, the publishing rights of Alan Wake games are reverted to Remedy.”

Publishing rights, if negotiated, can revert back to the content creators.

This happens in other types of media. Warner Bros had to rush to make a new Superman movie by a certain time, because if they didn't, the original heirs to the rights could claim the property back

Oddly enough, I remember Noel Gallagher saying in an interview with Seth Meyers last year that he is keenly aware of when Oasis will get the rights to their original music back from the music publisher, which is fixing to come up soon.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

LOL Remedy "purchased" the rights to use Alan Wake content in Control.

No, they didn't purchase anything. The explanation is quite clear:

Publishing rights, if negotiated, can revert back to the content creators.

This happens in other types of media. Warner Bros had to rush to make a new Superman movie by a certain time, because if they didn't, the original heirs to the rights could claim the property back

Oddly enough, I remember Noel Gallagher saying in an interview with Seth Meyers last year that he is keenly aware of when Oasis will get the rights to their original music back from the music publisher, which is fixing to come up soon.

Instead of Microsoft paying them royalties they negotiated the publishing rights to Alan Wake, and furthermore gave them the ability to release Alan Wake content outside of Microsoft's influence e.g. AWE... Just as I said.. 

Microsoft owns the publishing rights for Sunset Overdrive the game, not the franchise, not the IP. Sony can do whatever they want with another title under the SO veil, but in order to release or do anything with the first game those rights have to be bought back or negotiated away from Microsoft.

11 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

Why are cows celebrating? This game sucked Dick lmao

It's a pretty good new IP imo.

I bet Sony could take this franchise and make it huge.  Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

15 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's a pretty good new IP imo.

I bet Sony could take this franchise and make it huge.  Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

there was definitely a great foundation there for an awesome franchise. the weapons were pretty funny. the game just felt very rough around the edges. 

46 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

Instead of Microsoft paying them royalties they negotiated the publishing rights to Alan Wake, and furthermore gave them the ability to release Alan Wake content outside of Microsoft's influence e.g. AWE... Just as I said.. 

Microsoft owns the publishing rights for Sunset Overdrive the game, not the franchise, not the IP. Sony can do whatever they want with another title under the SO veil, but in order to release or do anything with the first game those rights have to be bought back or negotiated away from Microsoft.

No, they didn't "give permission" to anything regarding Alan Wake and Remedy.

Let me make it VERY FUCKING CLEAR with this quote:

Speaking to Eurogamer, a Remedy spokesperson said: “The only thing we want to clarify, now that Remedy owns the publishing rights, is that we could bring Alan Wake to different platforms if we so choose. We have nothing to announce for now. We are fully focused on Control releasing on 27th August.”

There's no point in you pretending to play stupid and not understand how things work.

He clearly is saying "we" as in................Remedy, by themselves.

Not "we", as in "as long as MS is okay with it"

Get that through your head.

LOL, you've now whittled your argument to "well, MS gets to keep the first game!!!":drake:

Besides the fact that its probably wrong, and all Insomniac has to do is slightly modify it and call it a "________ Edition" in order to get around that, its just hilarious seeing you try to cling onto the first game.  Keep it. LOL

19 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

:drake:

16 hours ago, jehurey said:

No, they didn't "give permission" to anything regarding Alan Wake and Remedy.

Let me make it VERY FUCKING CLEAR with this quote:

There's no point in you pretending to play stupid and not understand how things work.

He clearly is saying "we" as in................Remedy, by themselves.

Not "we", as in "as long as MS is okay with it"

Get that through your head.

LOL, you've now whittled your argument to "well, MS gets to keep the first game!!!":drake:

Besides the fact that its probably wrong, and all Insomniac has to do is slightly modify it and call it a "________ Edition" in order to get around that, its just hilarious seeing you try to cling onto the first game.  Keep it. LOL

You're totally illiterate, read that again slowmo lmao...

"now that Remedy owns the publishing rights, is that we could bring Alan Wake to different platforms if we so choose"

You just owned yourself LOL

:hest:

2 hours ago, lynux3 said:

Microsoft probably had publishing rights on Xbox One only. Now that its a new generation the game has changed. :reg: Sony could publish this game on PS5 I bet.

Microsoft had the publishing rights for Ninja Gaiden II

Tecmo slapped a 'sigma' on the end and put it on PS3

MS had the publishing rights for Mass Effect... they expired in a few years

there is no way this game doesn't belong to sony as of right now. SSO came out in 2014. whatever MS had with it is long dead.

the only thing preventing SSO from continuing on is that it sold like ass on Xbox one 

let's see if Insomniac/Sony think it's worth it to bring the franchise back.

4 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

You're totally illiterate, read that again slowmo lmao...

"now that Remedy owns the publishing rights, is that we could bring Alan Wake to different platforms if we so choose"

You just owned yourself LOL

:hest:

Sorry sweetie...........I already highlight the most important word.

"revert"

Remedy didn't BUY anything..............the rights reverted back to them. Which means it was a contractual stipulation.

I love how you tried to omit that and use other language to try and pretend that your logic still applied. It didn't.

Remedy did not BUY anything.

Remedy contractually got back their rights.

Anyway... Insomniac is PS owned now, so if they end up doing something with the IP, either new or a re-release remake or whatever of the old game, or both... then good for them.  I think the IP has potential for sure... and like I said, I think a new game could be a lot better.  Insomniac have improved quite a bit since those days.

2 hours ago, Remij said:

Anyway... Insomniac is PS owned now, so if they end up doing something with the IP, either new or a re-release remake or whatever of the old game, or both... then good for them.  I think the IP has potential for sure... and like I said, I think a new game could be a lot better.  Insomniac have improved quite a bit since those days.

Insomniac released 12 games between 2013 and 2016 including Sunset Overdrive

They’ve been much better since then just focusing on 1-2 projects at a time

• 1 month later...