RIP Giantbomb: Vinny, Brad, and Alex ALL leaving

3 minutes ago, JonB said:

It's the same fight in every thread.  I mean it's whatever . Wonder why peoppe come back then immediately leave 

People wonder the opposite when it comes to you. LOL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i thought GB died several years ago. 

LMFAO good!  Miserable bunch of old fucks     The only interesting thing they did was the E3 interviews which were cool... but even those started lacking in the recent years.  With the death

eventually, this board will die. it's ok.

4 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

you mean that site that just does podcasts all day long? theyve been dead for a while

i never liked that their podcasts got so damn long.

Like it shouldn't be more than 1hr 45m or 2 hours tops.

Oddly enough, it was the guy who just left, Ben Abbott, who gave some insight about what may be wrong with the website.

He was playing too many video games to the point where he didn't enjoy playing video games. But that guy just wants to play games like Fortnite for many, many hours. The problem is that the old Giant bomb guys want to have somebody cover those new Fortnite/Among Us-like games so that they don't have to.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Jeff slipped up and said 'Giantbomb was' on the podcast. Its definitely sounding more and more like the site is shutting down for good soon.

I don't really follow any other game devs and I always enjoyed watching them throughout the years (even if I have disagreed with their opinions more and more lately) so this is definitely hitting me kind of hard.

I think their acquisition by Red Ventures is definitely to blame here.

If Giantbomb shuts down for good I hope they just start over somewhere else again, but I imagine Jeff has a contractual obligation to stick around.

15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Oddly enough, it was the guy who just left, Ben Abbott, who gave some insight about what may be wrong with the website.

He was playing too many video games to the point where he didn't enjoy playing video games. But that guy just wants to play games like Fortnite for many, many hours. The problem is that the old Giant bomb guys want to have somebody cover those new Fortnite/Among Us-like games so that they don't have to.

and if theyre going to be that long, at least have time stamps. otherwise fuck that

Edited by Quad Damage
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Like I said... they are miserable.  It's very easy to see that they don't enjoy their jobs, and they haven't for a looong time now.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Like I said... they are miserable.  It's very easy to see that they don't enjoy their jobs, and they haven't for a looong time now.

I don't know. Theres gotta to be more to the story than that. 3 senior members don't just quit at the same time for no good reason.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

I don't know. Theres gotta to be more to the story than that. 3 senior members don't just quit at the same time for no good reason.

They even said they "turned in their notice". So its not a layoff, they are getting ahead of it and quitting.

And they wouldn't do it all at the same time.

So there's clearly coordination occurring here. And chances are Gerstmann has a contractual obligation, or maybe a non-compete clause of some sort. OR, he cannot start up a competing website, but somebody else can as a different owner(s).

I think CBS Interactive just worked the shit out of them. Because I genuinely don't understand why they need to have 3 hour gaming sessions, and then another guy logs onto and streams for another 3 hours.

38 minutes ago, jehurey said:

They even said they "turned in their notice". So its not a layoff, they are getting ahead of it and quitting.

And they wouldn't do it all at the same time.

So there's clearly coordination occurring here. And chances are Gerstmann has a contractual obligation, or maybe a non-compete clause of some sort. OR, he cannot start up a competing website, but somebody else can as a different owner(s).

I think CBS Interactive just worked the shit out of them. Because I genuinely don't understand why they need to have 3 hour gaming sessions, and then another guy logs onto and streams for another 3 hours.

I could understand if Vinny was overworked because he handled the production side, but im not sure about the others. They would go long stretches at a time without putting out much content, and unlike other sites they would rarely even put out written articles or reviews.

Damn. End of an era tbh. Really the only gaming personalities I cared to keep up with at this point. Still listen to the bombcast weekly and their GOTY stuff is always a great listen. Jeff is probably the guy who’s views I tend to align with the most. 

all 3 of them seem like good dudes. I didn’t keep up with beastcast as much, Vinny and Alex are cool but never really aligned with their view of games. Brad is a mystery cause I dunno how someone could play games for that long and be so bad at them. Good dude though and provided a bit of a structure for the site/podcast cause otherwise Jeff would just talk about niche stuff from the 80s for 3 hours (I’d listen). 

9 hours ago, Remij said:

LMFAO good!  Miserable bunch of old fucks :tom: 

The only interesting thing they did was the E3 interviews which were cool... but even those started lacking in the recent years.  With the death of E3 as we know it... Giantbomb is a GiantWaste :mj: 

JerryHBFR too :rofl: 

I agree. Giant bomb is not really relevant these days. They have a niche at most. 

39 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I agree. Giant bomb is not really relevant these days. They have a niche at most. 

It could also be related to the big publishers and their big multiplats (Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Madden, Rockstar Games, Tom Clancy, Respawn, etc) they don't market their games the same way anymore.

They don't need to do something at E3. They don't need Giant bomb to sit down for an interview. They don't need Gamespot/Giantbomb/IGN/Kotaku/Polygon to do a preview. And their shit is selling as big as ever.

The giant bomb guys had all these "old school" connections, mostly from marketing people. But those connections may be getting obsolete at this point.

The "Nintendo Direct" style of marketing is pretty much becoming the standard for everybody. They're just cutting out video game website, entirely.

their content is trash. paywalled videos, endless streams of fatasses talking for 10 hours, and they can't even be bothered to review big releases anymore. they review fuck all to be honest. site is pointless

Girthmann ran it into the ground. and 5-star ratings system will always be lame as fuck.

3 hours ago, Bodycount_ said:

their content is trash. paywalled videos, endless streams of fatasses talking for 10 hours, and they can't even be bothered to review big releases anymore. they review fuck all to be honest. site is pointless

Girthmann ran it into the ground. and 5-star ratings system will always be lame as fuck.

eh, they touch on this in the episode.

they do quick looks as opposed to reviews deliberately, both for the well being of their staff and because they've done the analytics and everything showed quick looks were more desired/larger ROI.

Never really visited GB after the fatty left Gamespot, surprised it even went on this long tbh. 

Gerstman & co probably have a hard time letting go after doing this for so long, pretty much like us slobs on this site :hehe:

18 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Never really visited GB after the fatty left Gamespot, surprised it even went on this long tbh. 

Gerstman & co probably have a hard time letting go after doing this for so long, pretty much like us slobs on this site :hehe:

ha! yeah, it's instinctive to come here. i've been doing it for so damn long. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, bhytre said:

Jeff probably doesn't know how to do anything else besides be a jaded fat fuck who talks about games.  He's known this was coming for a long time now... but he never did anything about it.  Other prominent journalists from game review sites actually move on to other things.  Many actually end up writing in games... but he's obviously lazy as fuck now.  He'll probably throw up a Patreon and try to just keep doing the same shit he's always done.

Like sorry... four old dudes sitting around a table talking about how they hate their jobs and the games they play isn't how people want to get their gaming information these days.

The world very slowly passed these guys by, and they held out as long as they could.

Good for them... now go do something you actually like :fblike: 

• Upvote 1

It also feels like most of their content lately has been Jeff streaming old games by himself from his cluttered home office. I don't hate the guy but I don't find the solo content interesting, the chemistry and interactions between GB staff is what I liked the most about the site.

I feel like this was inevitable but the pandemic definitely hurried things along.

24 minutes ago, Remij said:

Jeff probably doesn't know how to do anything else besides be a jaded fat fuck who talks about games.  He's known this was coming for a long time now... but he never did anything about it.  Other prominent journalists from game review sites actually move on to other things.  Many actually end up writing in games... but he's obviously lazy as fuck now.  He'll probably throw up a Patreon and try to just keep doing the same shit he's always done.

Like sorry... four old dudes sitting around a table talking about how they hate their jobs and the games they play isn't how people want to get their gaming information these days.

The world very slowly passed these guys by, and they held out as long as they could.

Good for them... now go do something you actually like :fblike: 

LOL. Gerstmann could go and be an internal gaming reviewer and consultant for major publishers, if he wanted to.

You talk about them getting a job within the industry like as if its a train that passed by that they missed.

Take whatever video game IP that each one of them defends the most, and they could easily get a job within their PR department, possibly as a manager or key point man.

Brad = Destiny = job at Bungie, easy.

Vinny = The Division = job at Ubisoft, easy.

Hell, they already have contacts in the industry with Bob Colayco at Blizzard, and Greg Kasavin at Supergiant games. But the downside to those jobs is that they will almost never come with any upwards mobility, and will be stuck to a salary that won't grow much.

Gerstmann almost assuredly made some money when the website got sold to CBSi.

Just now, jehurey said:

LOL. Gerstmann could go and be an internal gaming reviewer and consultant for major publishers, if he wanted to.

You talk about them getting a job within the industry like as if its a train that passed by that they missed.

Take whatever video game IP that each one of them defends the most, and they could easily get a job within their PR department, possibly as a manager or key point man.

Brad = Destiny = job at Bungie, easy.

Vinny = The Division = job at Ubisoft, easy.

Hell, they already have contacts in the industry with Bob Colayco at Blizzard, and Greg Kasavin at Supergiant games. But the downside to those jobs is that they will almost never come with any upwards mobility, and will be stuck to a salary that won't grow much.

Gerstmann almost assuredly made some money when the website got sold to CBSi.

I like how you just extended my point.

Yes.. I'm sure he could... BUT HES A LAZY FUCK...