Official RE Village thread (hide spoilers)

One gripe I have with the game is that the RE4 similarities just put into perspective how ahead of its time that game was. More weapons, more upgrades, more enemy types, more depth to the combat (being able to stun enemies and then melee them afterwards was bad ass and added a dynamic element to the combat). 16 years later and capcom has yet to nail that formula again even when they try to mimic it.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pre-ordered on STEAM.  

''PC version has a few issues'' = ''broken unplayable version''     Grasping at straws?   I ain't worried one bit.

should be interesting to see what it gets

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

One gripe I have with the game is that the RE4 similarities just put into perspective how ahead of its time that game was. More weapons, more upgrades, more enemy types, more depth to the combat (being able to stun enemies and then melee them afterwards was bad ass and added a dynamic element to the combat). 16 years later and capcom has yet to nail that formula again even when they try to mimic it.

But re 4 lacks soul. In retrospect, it killed what made re great. 

51 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Ahh I thought you would have liked the last environment more. The encounters with the new enemy type there were pretty intense.

That's how I felt.  When parts dragged on a bit they freshened up the combat a bit with different enemy types.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Ahh I thought you would have liked the last environment more. The encounters with the new enemy type there were pretty intense.

the first few were cool, but then they got annoying. the environment was bland af too. i can see why people liked the game more than i did. i just don't think this franchise does much for me anymore. 

12 hours ago, -GD-X said:

But re 4 lacks soul. In retrospect, it killed what made re great. 

RE5 and RE6 did that, killed all the soul and became a soulless Zombie game.

At the time RE4 needed to be different because the series had stagnated.   The huge variety of enemy types, different gameplay mechanics and a multitude of innovations was exactly what the series needed at the point.   If they had released another slow paced zombie jump scare game RE would have flamed out. 

The downside was that because RE4 was such a critically acclaimed hit, Capcom went overboard with the sequels (5and 6) and once again the series needed another jump start with RE7. 

I'm glad Capcom continues to change and adapt RE to keep the series fresh. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

RE5 and RE6 did that, killed all the soul and became a soulless Zombie game.

At the time RE4 needed to be different because the series had stagnated.   The huge variety of enemy types, different gameplay mechanics and a multitude of innovations was exactly what the series needed at the point.   If they had released another slow paced zombie jump scare game RE would have flamed out. 

The downside was that because RE4 was such a critically acclaimed hit, Capcom went overboard with the sequels (5and 6) and once again the series needed another jump start with RE7. 

I'm glad Capcom continues to change and adapt RE to keep the series fresh. 

i agree that 4's change was refreshing for its time. hell, i beat it twice, and was the first one to beat it on this site. but it felt more like a cool shooter, which was fine, since i was mostly playing shooters back then. when i tried re-playing it in 2008, i remember thinking, "wait, this isn't so great now." i think it's because gears took the formula and made it so damn smooth and fluid. re 4 felt clunky, in comparison. i hated 5 (generic af) and i never played 6, but dug the ship parts of revelations (with the 3ds' 3D). man, that gave me old school vibes. yeah, the combat was meh, but it at least had the atmosphere i missed. 7 was a major turning point for me. FP + texas chainsaw massacre inspiration = epic win. i feel like 8 tried to juggle the success of 7 with the glory of 4, and it felt poorly paced, and even jarring, because of it. 

RE8 tries to juggle too many themes and concepts at the same time I feel. I hope 9 does go back to the simplicity of 7 when it comes to the concept and storytelling, but continues to add more depth and complexity to the gameplay systems.

• Like 1
Just now, Twinblade said:

RE8 tries to juggle too many themes and concepts at the same time I feel. I hope 9 does go back to the simplicity of 7 when it comes to the concept and storytelling, but continues to add more depth and complexity to the gameplay systems.

YES! 

I'm really enjoying re8 right now...I'm only at the castle..but the first impressions of the game are immense. I love the winter season with the village being the hub... currently I'm at the castle. But it is a gorgeous engaging game...only negative thus far..the shooting could definitely be tighter.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Orion said:

To be honest after Jack was gone..the game felt emtpy, I hated everything after him...so here's hoping village doesn't have the same effect.

Some here liked where 8 went. For me, it starting going downhill at the half way mark. I think you’ll like it, though. 

So yeah the 2nd playthrough really just exposes many of the areas where the game falls a bit short. Ill still probably finish it again but my 2nd playthrough of RE7 was a lot more engaging so far.

I think this is a solid 8.0 game when all is said and done but it definitely could have been more.