Nintendo Game Builder Garage

ever since Mario Paint, I've always quite hated the "build it yourself, its SO FUN!" selling point of these games.

I don't like building stuff. I don't like fighting with tools, or taking the time to experiment.  It takes a very specific mind and patience to get into that stuff.

I imagine that the tools at this point are much better and smarter.  I am somewhat curious about what new game mechanics are still possible with 2D games.

Yeah i don't get it. If you want to build games then just follow some tutorials and use one of the many available game engines. You'll be learning useful frameworks and skills used by  professionals in the industry and might be able to make actual money off of that content one day.

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah i don't get it. If you want to build games then just follow some tutorials and use one of the many available game engines. You'll be learning useful frameworks and skills used by  professionals in the industry and might be able to make actual money off of that content one day.

You don't get how games that allow you to build things like Roblox and Minecraft are popular and can make you money?

Everyone wants to be the next Roblox or Minecraft.

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Remij said:

You don't get how games that allow you to build things like Roblox and Minecraft are popular and can make you money?

Everyone wants to be the next Roblox or Minecraft.

uhh that's not what he said though, he said rather spent your time creating or working on your game/other games than waste your time in-game in a game that basically creates games. 

minecraft makes money if you stream this shit, not build stuff. just for example. 

and I agree with TB. games with the main purpose to create other content suck because it's basically saying create your own game. I rather use a proper game engine and fiddle around with dat shit and learn shit. 

Just now, kaz said:

uhh that's not what he said though, he said rather spent your time creating or working on your game/other games than waste your time in-game in a game that basically creates games. 

minecraft makes money if you stream this shit, not build stuff. just for example. 

and I agree with TB. games with the main purpose to create other content suck because it's basically saying create your own game. I rather use a proper game engine and fiddle around with dat shit and learn shit. 

That is what he said though.

He said, "why make a game inside of a game.. when you could just learn to make a game using professional tools" and thus continue on professionally...

And the reality is... that there's tons of people (MOST) who want to make things but don't want to spend time learning programming.  These meta games are far more intuitive to learn, and are often a gateway into doing just that.  They WILL eventually get to the point where learning "Roblox" could be an important skill.. for example... and you could live entirely off making Roblox content.

Twinblade is essentially questioning why Sony would make a game like Dreams...  and the answer is that because they want to be in on the crazy that is "metaverse concept"... games within games... or essentially creating markets within markets to sell content and make money.

I'm not even disagreeing with him about serious people who want to learn to make game should start to learn Unreal Engine.. he's right... except there's huge markets for both... and as I said, things like Roblox and Minecraft where people can make money off that shit... are MASSIVE.  Nintendo may see this as an opportunity to get younger children and people explore their creative side.  Even Mario Maker pushes towards this.  People have created some really crazy designed levels in that game, and you better fucking believe that they can use those types of things in their portfolio when looking for jobs within the industry.

12 hours ago, Remij said:

That is what he said though.

He said, "why make a game inside of a game.. when you could just learn to make a game using professional tools" and thus continue on professionally...

And the reality is... that there's tons of people (MOST) who want to make things but don't want to spend time learning programming.  These meta games are far more intuitive to learn, and are often a gateway into doing just that.  They WILL eventually get to the point where learning "Roblox" could be an important skill.. for example... and you could live entirely off making Roblox content.

Twinblade is essentially questioning why Sony would make a game like Dreams...  and the answer is that because they want to be in on the crazy that is "metaverse concept"... games within games... or essentially creating markets within markets to sell content and make money.

I'm not even disagreeing with him about serious people who want to learn to make game should start to learn Unreal Engine.. he's right... except there's huge markets for both... and as I said, things like Roblox and Minecraft where people can make money off that shit... are MASSIVE.  Nintendo may see this as an opportunity to get younger children and people explore their creative side.  Even Mario Maker pushes towards this.  People have created some really crazy designed levels in that game, and you better fucking believe that they can use those types of things in their portfolio when looking for jobs within the industry.

sry didn't read all but: the devs make money with minecraft, not the player themselves with what they create is what  I was pointing out. 

you said they make money with it - you mean the devs that professionally worked on minecraft - NOT the players, that's what he said and I repeated to explain. 

anyway I just agree with Twinblade, all those build your own games-games are boring to me. I know people love being creative in those and that is cool but I'd rather spent time learning how to make games professionally even though it's nothing like playing a game.