Welcome to the Off-Season

17 minutes ago, ghostz life matters said:

I liked KOD better so far but it’s pretty dope. I think that first song is my favorite but My biggest issue is the beats are all kinda too similar imo

how so? they range from old school boom bap to trap to abstract. 

Just now, ghostz life matters said:

Tempo wise I find them similar. dig the first two tho

the tempos vary . i don't think you have any idea of what you are talking about. boom bap hovers around 90. trap beats are closer to 130-140. also, unlike KOD, this was produced by a bunch of different producers (KOD was produced by cole, minus one track). 

8 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

the tempos vary . i don't think you have any idea of what you are talking about. boom bap hovers around 90. trap beats are closer to 130-140. also, unlike KOD, this was produced by a bunch of different producers (KOD was produced by cole, minus one track). 

Lol it was my take from one listen, the beats blended together to my ears 

let's also examine the second section, since it's not as diversified with its BPMs as the first. i'd say most of the tracks range from 90-100 BPMs. Even with them having comparable tempos, there's plenty of variety, in terms of when the kicks/snares/hi hats are used. FYI, most old school rappers stay around 90-100, while most trappers stay between 130-140. 

Lol it was my take from one listen, the beats blended together to my ears 

ah, so you skimmed through it and admit you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. gotcha. 

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

ah, so you skimmed through it and admit you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. gotcha. 

Lmao I didn’t realize we have a cole stan ITT already :D settle down gramps it was just an observation. Don’t go turning me off from listening again

Lmao I didn’t realize we have a cole stan ITT already :D settle down gramps it was just an observation. Don’t go turning me off from listening again

it's not even my favorite cole album lol. however, as a TV and audio producer, i have to correct false claims. it's an OCD thing lol. 

• Thanks 1

@ghostz life matters I do agree that KOZ had a far more diversified set of tempos (i just went back and skimmed through it), some going as low as 70-ish and some as high as maybe 145/150. So, if you were expecting something similar with the new album, i can why you may feel the beats lack the constant shifts in tempo. 

3 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

@ghostz life matters I do agree that KOZ had a far more diversified set of tempos (i just went back and skimmed through it), some going as low as 70-ish and some as high as maybe 145/150. So, if you were expecting something similar with the new album, i can why you may feel the beats lack the constant shifts in tempo. 

Yeah I mean I still liked what I heard, just a random observation. I listened to it while working out for what it’s worth 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I mean I still liked what I heard, just a random observation. I listened to it while working out for what it’s worth 

like KOD, there are songs i like, but it's not a straight listen...like say born sinner. 

ok, i've had this on repeat almost all week. i love this album. a good 4 or 5  tracks truly resonate with me. while i love cole's earlier work, i identify with him more now that he's older. i went from listening to the album to actually hearing it. 

also, i feel like he's embraced being a middle child more seamlessly than he did in KOD. most of the tracks feel old school, sprinkled with subtle new school elements (slight autotune; hi-hat wok; features), but feel true and uncompromising.