Horizon Forbidden West gameplay reveal in 10 minutes

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if this was true it would still come out before one of the 327 studios Microsoft bought releases a good game

Go back and take a look at Aloy's hair underwater.   That's like a damn nvidia GPU demo.

it doesn't look as good as the original trailer, but it comes closer than many other games & their respective 'engine' trailers.

27 minutes ago, Remij said:

I mean more physically connected to the environment.  Being better animated and more connected to the environment doesn't have to come at the cost of responsiveness.  I'm not wanting RDR2 animation shit where you press and button and feel like you're stuck into watching things happen until they do... I'm wanting animation that blends into the environment better.  Better contextual animation and presence in the environment.

Watching again and there's stuff that just feels disconnected, and very similar to the first Horizon. Foliage still doesn't really react that well to Aloy's movement.  It moves a bit, but not realistically at all.  She clips through 90% of it.

It's still great, but I was hoping for more improvement.

The characters, and shaders, and lighting and everything is on another level.. and the facial rigging and animation during cutscenes and I'm guessing conversations is vastly improved over the original.

They are never going to hit something like Naughty Dog levels with that stuff. I can’t think of an open world game doing what you described any better except maybe RDR2, but that comes at a huge expense of responsiveness 

The part underwater is beautiful. I'm not as impressed as I expected to be but it's still fantastic looking and it looks like a solid follow up to the original.

TLHBO

Just now, jehurey said:

Go back and take a look at Aloy's hair underwater.

That's like a damn nvidia GPU demo.

ha! that's what we were saying at work (i watched it with several graphics artists). 

Just now, Remij said:

The hair underwater actually looks really bad.. lmfao what are you guys on about? :D 

It's dithered as fuck.

it was the organic motion of it. it looked nice via the sony stream (not a good gauge for image quality). i skipped the water part when i went back to the 4k clip. i'll check it out later.  i was more interested in the enemies and environments, which look amazing! 

California setting seems to always produce the best game in a open world franchise. GTA, Watch Dogs, Fallout etc. Watching the state of play makes me believe the trend will continue

4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

it was the organic motion of it. it looked nice via the sony stream (not a good gauge for image quality). i skipped the water part when i went back to the 4k clip. i'll check it out later.  i was more interested in the enemies and environments, which look amazing! 

Yea, there's so much other stuff that looks incredible... but the hair underwater was legit one of the things I thought was pretty bad.

1 minute ago, Delita said:

California setting seems to always produce the best game in a open world franchise. GTA, Watch Dogs, Fallout etc. Watching the state of play makes me believe the trend will continue

Best coast :wow2:

• aitch 1
Just now, Remij said:

Yea, there's so much other stuff that looks incredible... but the hair underwater was legit one of the things I thought was pretty bad.

i just saw the 4k clip. i love the motion of the hair, but it looks like a casualty of checkerboarding. 

• Upvote 1

Huuuge massive upgrade compared to the original in shaders and facial animation.  It can't be stated enough.

More than anything this is just tools and engine pipeline improvements too.

ZAT9xv.png

ZATOJF.png

^ bottom is an in-game conversation though, while the top is a cutscene.

Honestly the game looks great overall but it didn't really give me that mindblowing 'wow this is next gen' feeling that I was hoping for, especially during the general gameplay.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

^ bottom is an in-game conversation though, while the top is a cutscene.

Honestly the game looks great overall but it didn't really give me that mindblowing 'wow this is next gen' feeling that I was hoping for, especially during the general gameplay.

nah, when Aloy fights the human mid-boss with the big hammer, and she goes does a special takedown, it goes into the animation right in the middle of gameplay.  It looks fantastic.

I don't know if other characters go into low-poly versions during gameplay, but Aloy looks absolutely high quality at all times. During the elephant fight, just forget the enemies and just look at Aloy.

And he hair is amazing underwater, if anything her hair suffers from too much bouncy physics when she is on land and just standing still. But those physics, when underwater, make so much more sense.

If anything, I think the water is too clear underneath, in real life you wouldn't be able to see that far. But you could make the argument that the water is cleaner after an apocalyptic event that killed most humans and let the oceans alone.

There a couple of other object pop-in I noticed, when they dragged off Erend after they gave him a scare with the elephant, a front layer of grass just disappeared for some odd reason, and then it immediately cut to Aloy, and the frizzy fibers that surrounds her open sleeve shirt had some pop-in of more fibers.

That looked fucking godly. Easily my most anticipated game. Those environments.....god dayum. For a cross gen game too.

Sony first party just miles ahead.

5 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

Downgraded and 2022

:cmpunk2:

Sounds like the entire MS lineup :tom:

• aitch 1