Why do people still associate a college education with intelligence

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ok jerry you win. is that what you want to hear? Its 11pm on a saturday and the last thing I want to do is continue arguing with you  

No, the question is why do people think that going to college automatically makes them more intelligent than someone with just a HS degree. Money has nothing to do with it. You completely missed the p

The sociology class I took was the greatest GPA booster ever. I literally just babbled about the most nonsensical shit on all of my papers and assignments and managed to get an A by the end of it.

especially these people with humanities degrees, hell even most with anything computer related are retards. if you were born after 1990 you basically developed a mastery of computers automatically.

And then to top it off, these people got by with C's and B's and still act like they're the next Stephen Hawking. Bitch you got a C in sociology 101, you couldn't ace a class on Pavlov's dog.

17 minutes ago, Bodycount_ said:

especially these people with humanities degrees, hell even most with anything computer related are retards. if you were born after 1990 you basically developed a mastery of computers automatically.

And then to top it off, these people got by with C's and B's and still act like they're the next Stephen Hawking. Bitch you got a C in sociology 101, you couldn't ace a class on Pavlov's dog.

The sociology class I took was the greatest GPA booster ever. I literally just babbled about the most nonsensical shit on all of my papers and assignments and managed to get an A by the end of it.

There were other low effort classes where you could easily get a B or A by just showing up and doing the work. As long as you handed in all of your assignments in and participated in class you would pass with flying colors.

Then theres the professors who would instantly boost you if you showed up for help outside of class (during their office hours). I was actually guilty of this, I was about to fail an advanced digital circuits class (it was hard AF) with a D+ so I just showed up like 2 times for extra help and made it clear that I was struggling and she boosted me to a C- by the end (even though I got a D on the final).

And this was back in 2015. I feel like higher education has become more watered down and 'soft' since then, I wouldn't be surprised if its much easier to graduate with a decent GPA now than it was before regardless of your IQ/general intelligence.

• Like 1

it's just common sense and it's not so common anymore. most people are stupid and bragging about going to school to get a slave degree is the only thing some people have. 

some degrees are definitely super hard though, but most bachaelors is just extended school to become a slave = slave degrees.

I have to admit though I rarely met anyone who thought highly of their education, inclujding myself, it's more like the opposite. most of my bachaelor was a breeze except for some math class because I suck at it and I had to actually work and study a lot for it.

I think it's a dumerican thing, no offense, but most people seem to be annoying about their achievements even though it wasn't hard to get. 

Edited by kaz
23 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

There were other low effort classes where you could easily get a B or A by just showing up and doing the work. As long as you handed in all of your assignments in and participated in class you would pass with flying colors.

Then theres the professors who would instantly boost you if you showed up for help outside of class (during their office hours). I was actually guilty of this, I was about to fail an advanced digital circuits class (it was hard AF) with a D+ so I just showed up like 2 times for extra help and made it clear that I was struggling and she boosted me to a C- by the end (even though I got a D on the final).

And this was back in 2015. I feel like higher education has become more watered down and 'soft' since then, I wouldn't be surprised if its much easier to graduate with a decent GPA now than it was before regardless of your IQ/general intelligence.

I doubt it has become easier, actually some has become harder others maybe easier but not overall. 

That boosting a grade without related work on the class sounds atrocious, we don't have shit like that here. :wonder:  

also i just stared watching the video and as soon as he called that dude my little pony i thought he was a douche lol :biggrin:

the marine corps guy is spot on about intelligence, education give you more to draw from but in the end its just about problem solving skills and common sense.

you shouldve posted the original video not these two clowns giving their retarded opinions on it. well i might even watch the og video now and find out whos arrogant about their degrees :tom: 

1 minute ago, kaz said:

also i just stared watching the video and as soon as he called that dude my little pony i thought he was a douche lol :biggrin:

the marine corps guy is spot on about intelligence, education give you more to draw from but in the end its just about problem solving skills and common sense.

you shouldve posted the original video not these two clowns giving their retarded opinions on it. well i might even watch the og video now and find out whos arrogant about their degrees :tom:

They bring some good points though, especially the guy on the right who was in the military and can relate to the fact that people who decide to join up are automatically assumed to be of lower intelligence and social standing.

I watched the og video and man that ending was satisfying. :D  two little cunts being annoying and getting owned :D 

@kokujin  where's koko when you need him :D   he should get this message telepathically with his superior intelligence :kaz: 

Edited by kaz
  • Like 1

Because the higher education institutions are marketing geniuses. 

they convinced most kids from the late 80s and 90s that you’ll literally be a bum without a job if you don’t get a degree. Then so many of those kids went and got degrees that all but the most highly specialized ones had their value diminished to the point where they’re barely worth the paper their written on. More degrees than related job openings in most industries so what do people do? Go back to school to get an even higher education (masters, PhD, etc) and give the schools more money lmao. 

Self fulfilling prophecy because now they’re actually right in most ways since companies have bought into it too and when you have 1000 people applying for an entry level job it’s a fairly easy way to filter people out. Even if it’s not necessarily effective or resulting in you hiring the best candidate. 

so yeah basically the result is people with almost a decade of higher education and debt that will set you back years working for marginally higher (if at all) wages than someone would have earned 30 years ago with no higher education. 

people talk about the student debt side of things but often completely ignore the fact that on top of the debt you’ve also lost out on years of earnings. Someone spending 6 years in school for a 60k/year job that really doesn’t need that education to be done effectively has no only dropped ~100k on school, they’ve also missed out on 360k worth of wages. Oh and they probably are gonna have to spend like 100k more on a smaller house too!!

the most hilarious part of this all is that it all coincided with the rise of the internet and information being the most accessible it’s ever been. Schools actually used to be one of the only places to learn some things. 

1 hour ago, PuNKy_LeMmInG said:

sounds about right 🙂 EQ lol you can be a genius and still have no emotional maturity

I always cringed when they said EQ. lmfao, pathetic and arrogant cunts thinking they are above everyone else. 

she goes on rails academically and thinks because she passed some tests for a PHD she's generally smart. what a dumb ass smug ass bitch :kaz:  I love it. 

Edited by kaz
6 minutes ago, kaz said:

I always cringed when they said EQ. lmfao, pathetic and arrogant cunts thinking they are above everyone else. 

Reveal hidden contents

she goes on rails academically and thinks because she passed some tests for a PHD she's generally smart. what a dumb ass smug ass bitch :kaz:  I love it. 

She is a perfect example of being book smart. Probably spent hours studying and burying herself in educational materials to get her degree, but that doesn't necessarily mean she is intelligent or has any real analytical or problem solving skills. Bitch would probably be among the first to die in a zombie apocalypse :lul: 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, GeorgeW1000 said:

Smart people still go to college because it's a great institution to learn at 

no doubt about that, but it's also a place filled with dumb people acquiring easy degrees. 

Just now, Twinblade said:

She is a perfect example of being book smart. Probably spent hours studying and burying herself in educational materials to get her degree, but that doesn't necessarily mean she is smart or intelligent. Bitch probably would be among the first to die in a zombie apocalypse :lul: 

so true, i just KNEW she's the dumbest of em all by the way she acted so smug. I think everyone does watching that video. to me she's such an annoying type of person. she isn't smart at ALL. 

2 hours ago, Casual said:

people talk about the student debt side of things but often completely ignore the fact that on top of the debt you’ve also lost out on years of earnings. Someone spending 6 years in school for a 60k/year job that really doesn’t need that education to be done effectively has no only dropped ~100k on school, they’ve also missed out on 360k worth of wages. Oh and they probably are gonna have to spend like 100k more on a smaller house too!!

The US Department of Labor Statistics has somebody with a master's having twice the salary of somebody with just a high school diploma. The person with the master's catches up in total net earnings in their mid-30s lol.

so the question of this thread was: why do people think that going to college is smart?

And the answer: more people who are smart end up being in college............and people who seek to earn more money, have determine that having a college degree helps them achieve that.

The two most likely and logical conclusions that most people would be able to think of within a span of about 6 seconds.

• Confused 1
15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

so the question of this thread was: why do people think that going to college is smart?

And the answer: more people who are smart end up being in college............and people who seek to earn more money, have determine that having a college degree helps them achieve that.

The two most likely and logical conclusions that most people would be able to think of within a span of about 6 seconds.

No, the question is why do people think that going to college automatically makes them more intelligent than someone with just a HS degree. Money has nothing to do with it. You completely missed the point of this thread.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1