Why do people still associate a college education with intelligence

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

No, the question is why do people think that going to college automatically makes them more intelligent than someone with just a HS degree. Money has nothing to do with it. You completely missed the point of this thread.

No, you already know these basic answers, or probably pretending to play stupid.

What ever made you think that college had 100% population of "smart" people?

Who has ever told you that?

College has a higher likelihood of smarter people, or people more experienced with problem-solving skills.

Edited by jehurey
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ok jerry you win. is that what you want to hear? Its 11pm on a saturday and the last thing I want to do is continue arguing with you  

No, the question is why do people think that going to college automatically makes them more intelligent than someone with just a HS degree. Money has nothing to do with it. You completely missed the p

The sociology class I took was the greatest GPA booster ever. I literally just babbled about the most nonsensical shit on all of my papers and assignments and managed to get an A by the end of it.

1 minute ago, kaz said:

for gods sake SHUT THE FUCK UP JERRY YOU ARE WRONG DONT DERAIL THIS THREAD YOU WILL GET BANNED IDIOT

at least try to respond, seriously.

do you think typing like that has ever worked.......ever?

if I'm wrong, explain to me how I'm wrong.

• Confused 1
Just now, jehurey said:

at least try to respond, seriously.

do you think typing like that has ever worked.......ever?

if I'm wrong, explain to me how I'm wrong.

It has been the first time I typed like that. Twinblade (who made this thread) corrected you and proved you wrong about the context of this thread PLEASE STOP DERAILING YOU WILL GET BANNED

1 minute ago, kaz said:

It has been the first time I typed like that. Twinblade (who made this thread) corrected you and proved you wrong about the context of this thread PLEASE STOP DERAILING YOU WILL GET BANNED

No, he didn't.

I immediately point out assumptions he made that are completely foolish.

Maybe try not screaming like an 8 year old who's a product of divorce?

Can you do that?

34 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, you already know these basic answers, or probably pretending to play stupid.

What ever made you think that college had 100% population of "smart" people?

Who has ever told you that?

College has a higher likelihood of smarter people, or people more experienced with problem-solving skills.

People go to college because they have the drive or the money (or both) to learn something new. That doesn't automatically make them more intelligent than someone whos more humble and not as interested in making more money long term.

Most people (especially those from previous generations) look down on people without college degrees, and assume they're of lower intelligence which isn't an accurate assessment. I see that stereotype in my family all the time in fact, my cousin is a scientist and everybody props him up as being the smartest in the family and our crowning achievement after spending at least 10-12 years in school. One time however his daughter had locked herself in a room at a relative's house and his only solution to that problem was to try to bust down the door to get in there. Then my other cousin (much less educated) noticed a screw on the door knob, and calmly used a screwdriver to remove it thus opening the door. I know for a fact they're both smart, but Im pretty sure my less educated cousin has a higher IQ because i've seen other examples of his problem solving skills that I haven't seen from my scientist cousin who's good at his job but not much else.

34 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

No, the question is why do people think that going to college automatically makes them more intelligent than someone with just a HS degree. Money has nothing to do with it. You completely missed the point of this thread.

He really did miss the entire fucking point jfc :D 

And now he's going to Jerry-go-round the thread and argue with you claiming that you're wrong and you're saying something that you didn't say.....

...........annnnnnd repeat and repeat.

That's a pretty hilarious video... lmfao that dumb cunt coming in 6th :rofl: 

• Haha 1
Just now, Twinblade said:

People go to college because they have the drive or the money (or both) to learn something new. That doesn't automatically make them more intelligent than someone whos more humble and not as interested in making more money long term.

Most people (especially those from previous generations) look down on people without college degrees, and assume they're of lower intelligence which isn't an accurate assessment. I see that stereotype in my family all the time in fact, my cousin is a scientist and everybody props him up as being the smartest in the family and our crowning achievement after spending at least 10-12 years in school. One time however his daughter had locked herself in a room at a relative's house and his only solution to that problem was to try to bust down the door to get in there. Then my other cousin (much less educated) noticed a screw on the door knob, and calmly used a screwdriver to remove it thus opening the door. I know for a fact they're both smart, but Im pretty sure my less educated cousin has a higher IQ because i've seen other examples of his problem solving skills that I haven't seen from my scientist cousin who is good at his job but not much else.

It literally forces them to engage in a process to learn information, and get accustomed to extended processes for working problem.

I really don't know what is you mentality when you are asking this question.

Are you saying that colleges should've instituted some sort of IQ exam for admission, and if people don't have a certain IQ, then its NOT WORTH IT to them these things?

I doubt you are saying that.

In fact, with you, I'm almost certain you are saying this from an anti-liberal agenda. Sorta like the stuff Mike Rowe spews out. And a cornerpoint of that ideology is that they feel like colleges is mocking certain people.

If you pass through college............you were TAUGHT extensive procedure, to the point where it is meant to become a habit.

That's what makes people LOOK intelligent: habit. Doing methodical things to the point where you have developed "muscle memory".

A Oxford scholar can look completely stupid if you ask them the parts of a car engine and how to fix certain engine problems.And he will look stupid for several weeks until he keeps at it and begins figuring things out.

A car mechanic can look completely stupid if you ask them to balance out a chemical equation. And he will look stupid for several weeks until he keeps at it and begins figuring things out.

Are you telling me you didn't these concepts before this evening?

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Most people (especially those from previous generations) look down on people without college degrees, and assume they're of lower intelligence which isn't an accurate assessment. I see that stereotype in my family all the time in fact, my cousin is a scientist and everybody props him up as being the smartest in the family and our crowning achievement after spending at least 10-12 years in school. One time however his daughter had locked herself in a room at a relative's house and his only solution to that problem was to try to bust down the door to get in there. Then my other cousin (much less educated) noticed a screw on the door knob, and calmly used a screwdriver to remove it thus opening the door. I know for a fact they're both smart, but Im pretty sure my less educated cousin has a higher IQ because i've seen other examples of his problem solving skills that I haven't seen from my scientist cousin who is good at his job but not much else.

That's not an example of intelligence............that's just awareness.

Yea its a stereotype.   I went to school with some people that weren't too "smart"..... but it works the other way as well.  You would generally find more intelligent people in higher education....

It's just like "real life" outside of school.. you will find a mixture of types.   

It also depends on the field of study as well. 

Edited by Goukosan
22 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Most people (especially those from previous generations) look down on people without college degrees, and assume they're of lower intelligence which isn't an accurate assessment. I see that stereotype in my family all the time in fact, my cousin is a scientist and everybody props him up as being the smartest in the family and our crowning achievement after spending at least 10-12 years in school. One time however his daughter had locked herself in a room at a relative's house and his only solution to that problem was to try to bust down the door to get in there. Then my other cousin (much less educated) noticed a screw on the door knob, and calmly used a screwdriver to remove it thus opening the door. I know for a fact they're both smart, but Im pretty sure my less educated cousin has a higher IQ because i've seen other examples of his problem solving skills that I haven't seen from my scientist cousin who's good at his job but not much else.

He doesn't necessarily have to be the smartest, but being a scientist is a crowning achievement.   Downplaying people's hard earned success is just as bad as if they looked down on you because you just have a HS diploma. 

It cuts both ways. 

Edited by Goukosan
11 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Yea its a stereotype.   I went to school with some people that weren't too "smart"..... but it works the other way as well.  You would generally find more intelligent people in higher education....

It's just like "real life" outside of school.. you will find a mixture of types.   

It also depends on the field of study as well. 

Pizza Buffets are more likely to have a higher concentration of fat people.

But if I see some skinny people there, then it must not be good pizza.:patrice:

can we just ban jehurey right here? at least three people point out how he's completely missing the point of the thread and trying to derail it....

37 minutes ago, kaz said:

can we just ban jehurey right here? at least three people point out how he's completely missing the point of the thread and trying to derail it....

no, there's one person who created this thread with an ulterior agenda for making it.........and two other people who are only complaining about me because they're butthurt.

notice how I have asked you questions to challenge your point and try to engage you in this discussion..................and you're not doing shit, but complaining?

Edited by jehurey
16 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

ok jerry you win. is that what you want to hear? Its 11pm on a saturday and the last thing I want to do is continue arguing with you :tom: 

you could do worse.

maybe you were bullshitting and ended up coming to making a value judgement as to whether it was worth it enough for you to continue peddling something you don't really believe.

in which case...........yeah, that's exactly what I want to hear (and see).

• NPC 1
14 hours ago, jehurey said:

you could do worse.

maybe you were bullshitting and ended up coming to making a value judgement as to whether it was worth it enough for you to continue peddling something you don't really believe.

in which case...........yeah, that's exactly what I want to hear (and see).

I posted a video simply about how college education does not automatically = being intelligent and you went off on a tangent about money and then started making random analogies about Oxford scholars and car mechanics. come on dude :D 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

The US Department of Labor Statistics has somebody with a master's having twice the salary of somebody with just a high school diploma. The person with the master's catches up in total net earnings in their mid-30s lol.

Okay. I’m not suggesting people with masters don’t generally get better jobs than people who don’t have them. Im saying that in many cases the education people 

there’s CSRs at my work making 60k, we require university education for any position. Do those CSRs make more than a lot of people with high school diplomas? Yes. That doesn’t change the fact that answering off the phone and reading a script isn’t something you need to go to university for (outside of the arbitrary job requirements). 

7 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I posted a video simply about how college education does not automatically = being intelligent and you went off on a tangent about money and then started making random analogies about Oxford scholars and car mechanics. come on dude :D 

No, you made this thread with some pre-determined agenda.

What was the very first thing I typed?

Who was going around saying that colleges only had 100% intelligent people? Where did you get that idea?

• NPC 1

Bill Maher just ripped higher education, he echoes a lot of my thoughts as well and the thoughts of others in this thread. That chart claiming that only 15% of college students in 1960 received As vs a whopping 45% in 2020 is pretty crazy