RUMOR: Microsoft has bought Crytek

Just now, Twinblade said:

Cryengine would be the most significant get from this I feel.

MS already recently got one of the best engines out there.. idTech 7.

Maybe Ryse 2 might be cool?  Who knows?  I feel like it could make sense... because it's just like MS to have an exclusive with some company, fuck up the relationship, then the dev goes partway under, and then they try to bring them on board again...

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

MS already recently got one of the best engines out there.. idTech 7.

Maybe Ryse 2 might be cool?  Who knows?  I feel like it could make sense... because it's just like MS to have an exclusive with some company, fuck up the relationship, then the dev goes partway under, and then they try to bring them on board again...

nah, Cryengine in its prime was better than the recent idtech iterations. With MS’ money and backing we could see some really epic looking Xbox games.

Just now, Twinblade said:

nah, Cryengine in its prime was better than the recent idtech iterations. With MS’ money and backing we could see some really epic looking Xbox games.

Cryengine isn't in it's prime anymore.. and idTech is better than ever.

But whatever.. they're engines.

14 minutes ago, Remij said:

Cryengine isn't in it's prime anymore.. and idTech is better than ever.

But whatever.. they're engines.

What was the last idtech game that actually blew people away graphically? I can't think of any since Rage.

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

What was the last idtech game that actually blew people away graphically? I can't think of any since Rage.

It's not just about blowing people away graphically... it's about running well, and optimization.  Improvements over prior versions as well...

Cryengine has been stagnant for years upon years now.

Doom Eternal running at 3840x1600 Ultrawide maxed out at ~150fps... looks pretty fucking nice.... better in motion than any Cryengine game I'd say.

But yea, I agree an engine overhaul and Ryse 2 could look pretty sick... but does that Crytek exist anymore?  Who knows?

Edited by Remij
11 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's not just about blowing people away graphically... it's about running well, and optimization.  Improvements over prior versions as well...

Cryengine has been stagnant for years upon years now.

Doom Eternal running at 3840x1600 Ultrawide maxed out at ~150fps... looks pretty fucking nice.... better in motion than any Cryengine game I'd say.

But yea, I agree an engine overhaul and Ryse 2 could look pretty sick... but does that Crytek exist anymore?  Who knows?

Yeah im not sure. Hunt Showdown is apparently running on the latest version of CryEngine and was made by Crytek themselves, so thats probably the only real benchmark we have for the current state of the engine

Its not mindblowing or anything but for a lower budget MP shooter it looks pretty good

17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah im not sure. Hunt Showdown is apparently running on the latest version of CryEngine and was made by Crytek themselves, so thats probably the only real benchmark we have for the current state of the engine

Its not mindblowing or anything but for a lower budget MP shooter it looks pretty good

To be fair, I think Cryengine is still a good engine... but it's not top of the line anymore.

Could it be?  I guess just as much as any other.  It's still a good engine.. but I just don't think it's some huge get for MS if this rumor ends up being accurate.

I'd love to be wrong and see something awesome from them.

Thanks microsoft for finnancing my games :glad:  Hunt: Showdown owns, can't wait for a new crytek IP. some losers ITT lol 

Lmao, they can keep that shit. They’ve never made a good game. Some impressive looking tech demo’s for sure, but as far as an actual GAME goes, no thanks. Bethesda was a megaton, but if MS wants to keep shitty crytek games off my PlayStation I could care less. 

• NPC 1

hunt: showdown one of the best PvP competitive shooters, the first one adding PvE elements in such an amazing way and can'tsole players complaining :kaz:  non-gamer trash don't deserve this on their consoles tbh. 

31 minutes ago, kaz said:

hunt: showdown one of the best PvP competitive shooters, the first one adding PvE elements in such an amazing way and can'tsole players complaining :kaz:  non-gamer trash don't deserve this on their consoles tbh. 

81% on Meta. :ben:

Probably they're highest scoring game in years. :mj:

Edited by Cell
  • NPC 1