Older games have that special "something" that new games don't.

Playing Ocarina of Time a year ago on emulators reawakened my interest in classic games. 

Everything is right. The mood, the setting, the story, the characters, the addictive gameplay. It's not a 'game' but an experience you take with you. In other words, the exact opposite of cookie cutter games today.

Older games on the N64 are simply better. Games like OoT  genuinely inspire me :happysad: The classics of the past really are the best.

the inverted castle in castlevania sotn. wtf?

the dog jumping through the window in resident evil. i jumped!

playing gta 3 with my friends. holy fuck. that was one of the best nights i've ever had with gaming.

donkey kong country. wow! that game was a blast and it blew my mind with its insane graphics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember playing Shenmue on my Dreamcast andy dad walked in and asked what show I was watching. He didn't realize games could look that good

• Like 1

I dunno, I don't think this broadly connect to all new games, because there are a few modern AAA gems that blow my mind and would probably send kid me into a hospital because I couldn't fathom games getting so detailed.    Red Dead Redemption 2 is that game.

I can agree that there's some elements to some old games that are completely lost in newer ones.

To this day there's something about the music in Virtua Fighter presents a very campy up-beat melody to it that I like.

• Like 1

One of my most favorite gaming memories was when me, my cousin, and his friend (both huge casuals) spent a few nights playing through Genma Onimusha on the Xbox. We passed the controller around everytime one of us died and just had a blast. They're both older than me and we didn't have much in common but that whole experience made it feel like we were all long time friends in a way.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

the inverted castle in castlevania sotn. wtf?

the dog jumping through the window in resident evil. i jumped!

playing gta 3 with my friends. holy fuck. that was one of the best nights i've ever had with gaming.

donkey kong country. wow! that game was a blast and it blew my mind with its insane graphics. 

My dad is a very outgoing guy and always used to tell me to stop playing games, get "active," videogames are dumb, etc. The one time he broke character was when he saw fishing in Ocarina of Time. He wanted to play. He was in bed with the gamecube controller all into it, telling me how it works and how the fish will come if you do it this way. Even though he literally never touched a game in his life before that and never since  :D 

Edited by SheepKilla
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

My dad is a very outgoing guy and always used to tell me to stop playing games, get "active," videogames are dumb, etc. The one time he broke character was when he saw fishing in Ocarina of Time. He wanted to play. He was in bed with the gamecube controller all into it, telling me how it works and how the fish will come if you do it this way. Even though he literally never touched a game in his life before that and never since  :D 

That’s awesome!! :D 

2 hours ago, Cooke said:

I remember playing Shenmue on my Dreamcast andy dad walked in and asked what show I was watching. He didn't realize games could look that good

I beat Shenmue like 5 times. It was the first game where I felt like I was in a true virtual world. 

I played Ocarina of Time all the way through back in early 2017, right before getting the Switch.

Its not an entirely new experience for me because I had already played about 35 hours of Wind Waker, and that already has alot of the gameplay mechanics. And I had tried out about an hours worth of gameplay many years ago.

But I wanted to knock the game out before getting really into BoTW, and I had some concern that it wouldn't hold up.

It held up fairly well. I wouldn't have been blown away like as if I were touching the game for the first time in 1998, but during the middle, I really was enjoying going to each part of the map and exploring the area and doing their dungeons, and then going back again to reveal more secrets.

If anything, I thought the game ended too soon. it really did feel like a 3-dimensional Link to the Past.

4 hours ago, jehurey said:

I played Ocarina of Time all the way through back in early 2017, right before getting the Switch.

Its not an entirely new experience for me because I had already played about 35 hours of Wind Waker, and that already has alot of the gameplay mechanics. And I had tried out about an hours worth of gameplay many years ago.

But I wanted to knock the game out before getting really into BoTW, and I had some concern that it wouldn't hold up.

It held up fairly well. I wouldn't have been blown away like as if I were touching the game for the first time in 1998, but during the middle, I really was enjoying going to each part of the map and exploring the area and doing their dungeons, and then going back again to reveal more secrets.

If anything, I thought the game ended too soon. it really did feel like a 3-dimensional Link to the Past.

It's not surprising AT ALL that the first time you've ever played Ocarina of Time is in 2017.... fucking Hypocrite :lawl: 

1 minute ago, Remij said:

It's not surprising AT ALL that the first time you've ever played Ocarina of Time is in 2017.... fucking Hypocrite :lawl: 

Oh man, this dude is still butthurt from last night.

read my post, I had already played Ocarina of Time before. Specifically I had played it on the Zelda Special Collection disc I had gotten like way back in 2002.

I actually didn't like what I had played, having played all the way through the Deku Tree boss. The auto-jumping was like pure blashphemy to me.

So, no i'm not a hypocrite like you.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Oh man, this dude is still butthurt from last night.

read my post, I had already played Ocarina of Time before. Specifically I had played it on the Zelda Special Collection disc I had gotten like way back in 2002.

I actually didn't like what I had played, having played all the way through the Deku Tree boss. The auto-jumping was like pure blashphemy to me.

So, no i'm not a hypocrite like you.

I read it.  You played an hour of it years after it released... and then didn't play it again until 2017.

You're a hypocrite.  Especially in a thread talking about how older games are more special than newer games.

Just now, Remij said:

I read it.  You played an hour of it years after it released... and then didn't play it again until 2017.

You're a hypocrite.  Especially in a thread talking about how older games are more special than newer games.

No, because I actually played it to try out the game.

You booted up uncharted 4 because you SHARTED your pants, being angry that you got busted for not playing any PS4 games since 2014.

.............which ended up being proven true..............BY YOU, no less:drake:

You're the one who is a hypocrite.

You know why?

I didn't make a thread about me playing Ocarina of Time to try and own somebody.:lawl::lawl::lawl:

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, because I actually played it to try out the game.

You booted up uncharted 4 because you SHARTED your pants, being angry that you got busted for not playing any PS4 games since 2014.

.............which ended up being proven true..............BY YOU, no less:drake:

You're the one who is a hypocrite.

You know why?

I didn't make a thread about me playing Ocarina of Time to try and own somebody.:lawl::lawl::lawl:

You hardly make threads period.

I never made a thread about me playing UC4.  I made a thread about UC4 coming to PC.

It's ok Hypochurey... we all know you're playing OLD games these days... while trying to chastise others for doing the same thing.

15 minutes ago, Remij said:

You hardly make threads period.

I never made a thread about me playing UC4.

yeah you did.

you've actually made about 3 threads stemming from the same thing you want to repeat:

Sony game coming to PC.

You're actually rehashing your own threads.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not a hypocrite like you.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

yeah you did.

you've actually made about 3 threads stemming from the same thing you want to repeat:

Sony game coming to PC.

You're actually rehashing your own threads.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not a hypocrite like you.

Yep, Sony games are coming to PC LMFAO TSBHR :hehe: