How long till MS first party catches up to what Sony have released in 8 months of PS5 launch?

Legit question. How long till MS first party (with their multitude of studios) releases games to the same quantity and quality that Sony first party have released since the launch of the PS5. Now we know XSX has no exclusives and cross gen is a thing this time around so I'm not even talking about exclusives, simply new first party titles (so not counting like SM Remastered or any possible future/present next gen ports or pre released titles)

Sony since PS5 launch (8 months):

Demons Souls - AAA

Miles Morales - AA

Astro's Playroom - AA

Sackboy - A

MLB The Show - A

Returnal - AAA

Ratchet and Clank - AAA

So basically two 7+ games, two 8+ games and three 9+ games. Add the trash of All Stars to it and Sony have released 8 first party titles in 8 months. Incredible output. Even more so with Covid being a major factor. 

It finally dawned on me, just tonight, that Sony has launched 4 brand new open world IPs in the last 4 years.

Horizon Zero Dawn - 2017

Spider-Man - 2018

Days Gone - 2019

Ghosts of Tsushima - 2020

And for now, I'm not including Miles Morales as a new IP, even though it seems like they fully intend to have more Miles Morales games separate from Spider-Man games.

Sony Bend is being made to abandon the Days Gone IP because its too similar to TLOU, so replace Days Gone with whatever Sony Bend comes up with.

And Insomniac is hinting at bringing back Sunset Overdrive in some form.

The first thing that comes to mind is: they are ORGANIZED, and they clearly have a SCHEDULE, and have been doing a good job meeting that schedule.

MS has a serious management issue and it's not something that buying studios can help them fix. In fact, I think buying more studios compounds the issue.

It dawned on me last year what a shitty state MS management was when we saw Craig. Think about it, someone at the top saw the state Halo Infinite was in and thought it would be a great idea to show it to the world.

There's absolutely no way either Sony or Nintendo would show any of their biggest IPs in that kind of state what more their biggest IP. 

To then top it all they delayed Halo and had fuck all to release at launch. They didn't have a Plan B or C if Halo didn't make the launch. Just total incompetency at MS management.

They are never going to catch up with Sony and it doesn't matter how many studios they buy. They need to completely overhaul their management and culture over there to even stand a chance at competing with Sony.

Edited by FIREPOWER

Sony's studios are undoubtedly better managed than MS' teams are.  They can't seem to manage their teams for shit.  There's no schedule or method to how and when they release their games.

There's no way Halo shouldn't have been ready for Series X launch. 

Hellblade released in 2017... we should definitely be seeing that game by now.. and yet we're not.  

The Initiative was founded in 2018.... it's been 3 years... we SHOULD have seen something by now of Perfect Dark

They should have had at least 2 or 3 solid games out by now.

The ONLY 2 studios at MS which seem to always come through for them are The Coalition, and Playground Games.  Unfortunately The Coalition was essentially the only one outputting worth a damn towards the end of the generation with Gears 5 and Hivebusters, and Gears Tactics, as well as working with other studios to help get their shit to market (like Halo Infinite).. so their next games aren't anywhere close to ready to be shown yet.

Playground games is once again coming through for MS, and will have a Forza Horizon game ready for this year.  So MS has Forza.... and a Halo game that should have been out for 7-8 months already..

They're just simply mismanaged for the most part.

Maybe after Halo and Forza release this year, and then going into next you have Starfield and  Avowed and then they start actually showing games like Hellblade 2, Fable, Perfect Dark, ect. then maybe the feeling starts to change a bit... but it's been brutal in the meantime.  They deserve all the skepticism in the world right now.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Remij said:

Sony's studios are undoubtedly better managed than MS' teams are.  They can't seem to manage their teams for shit.  There's no schedule or method to how and when they release their games.

Hellblade released in 2017... we should definitely be seeing that game by now.. and yet we're not.  

The Initiative was founded in 2018.... it's been 3 years... we SHOULD have seen something by now of Perfect Dark

The ONLY 2 studios at MS which seem to always come through for them are The Coalition, and Playground Games.  Unfortunately The Coalition was essentially the only one outputting worth a damn towards the end of the generation with Gears 5 and Hivebusters, and Gears Tactics, as well as working with other studios to help get their shit to market (like Halo Infinite).. so their next games aren't anywhere close to ready to be shown yet.

Playground games is once again coming through for MS, and will have a Forza Horizon game ready for this year.  So MS has Forza.... and a Halo game that should have been out for 7-8 months already..

Maybe after Halo and Forza release this year, and then going into next you have Starfield and  Avowed and then they start actually showing games like Hellblade 2, Fable, Perfect Dark, ect. then maybe the feeling starts to change a bit... but it's been brutal in the meantime.  They deserve all the skepticism in the world right now.

Spot on. I couldn’t agree more about playground and coalition. I’m excited to see forza horizon in Mexico. 

8 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Spot on. I couldn’t agree more about playground and coalition. I’m excited to see forza horizon in Mexico. 

Yea, it's always those two.  Unfortunately they're still just the "Gears and Forza" guys... so even when you try to talk about Xbox having something... it's just "more Gears and Forza" which isn't doing anything to bring new people into the Xbox platform.  If you like those games... you're already there.

But, I happen to be one of those guys, and Forza Horizon is my shit... so fuck yea, I can't wait to see FH5. lol

Same with Halo.  IDGAF what people say about it's visuals or whatever.. I'm excited for it.  I've been playing MCC off and on since last year, working my way through the games again in the lead up to Infinite and I'm loving it.  I think what we saw if Infinite looked good, but just unpolished.  Hopefully they fixed some of that up and it shows up much better than last time.  My only issue now is that it seems like we're mostly just going to see some MP gameplay, with some campaign cutscenes thrown in a short trailer.  I hope that's wrong, but I have a feeling it's not.  That would leave me a bit disappointed... but it is what it is.  We're probably 5 months from launch, so not much longer either way.

Jez Corden and Jeff Grubb said that we'd see something of a couple new IPs.  Project Typhoon, which is apparently some new IP involving dragons, and Project Omen, with Vampires.

Both could be cool.  And at least there's some new IP in the works.

• Like 1

wouldn't even be so bad if maybe they got scraps of:

Guilty Gear

FF7 i

Nioh 1 and 2

plus what looks even worse is they're still suffering from the PS4 gen:

Shin megami tensei nocturne

Persona Strikers

VF5 UE

all of it combines, the 0 first party, the paltry 3rd party, and the whole 0 exclusives mandate as a whole, to make Xbox not a contender in any way, shape, or form.

same story as last gen, continued. Atleast they got Yakuza, can you imagine if it was still PS only? 

Christ.

14 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Legit question. How long till MS first party (with their multitude of studios) releases games to the same quantity and quality that Sony first party have released since the launch of the PS5. Now we know XSX has no exclusives and cross gen is a thing this time around so I'm not even talking about exclusives, simply new first party titles (so not counting like SM Remastered or any possible future/present next gen ports or pre released titles)

Sony since PS5 launch (8 months):

Demons Souls - AAA - a ps3 port remastered..

Miles Morales - AA - a ps4 game

Astro's Playroom - AA - tech demo lol

Sackboy - A - just lol

MLB The Show - A third party 

Returnal - AAA - bit of a push its a 8/9 game

Ratchet and Clank - AAA - give it to insomniac....no doubt started on ps4

So basically two 7+ games, two 8+ games and three 9+ games. Add the trash of All Stars to it and Sony have released 8 first party titles in 8 months. Incredible output. Even more so with Covid being a major factor. 

18 hours ago, Remij said:

Yeah, it's something that really isn't given enough importance in the industry but the management of a catalogue and the producers/managers on individual projects are what makes Sony as good as they are right now. It's a bit of a strange time because Sony are right now the least vocal, consumer open and friendly/personality driven as they have ever been and yet there is no doubt they are at their absolute best atm (first party catalogue wise and business wise).

Meanwhile it seems to be the total opposite with MS. Phil seems so focused on image and public perception and yet MS have never been as badly managed as they are right now. It's actually astounding how bad their last 3 years have been, to the point where I don't even know how it's possible. I thought they were holding games back late last gen because it was a waste and to go heavy with the new gen but they have literally not released a game and I can not understand how you can have as many teams as MS did (even before all the acquistions) and not even have a launch title, let alone a launch window and year 1 lineup and while covid is an excuse, it's not a very good one when your competitor has released 8 games to your zero with the same market conditions. 

What's happened to Turn 10? How do we go from Forza yearly rotation to no forza for multiple years and rumoured back to back Horizons while Playground is also working on Fable. 343 have been an absolute disaster studio but the fact it took the big reveal and public reaction and backlash to give MS the hint of how bad a state Infinite was in shows a major issue with management overseeing the MS first party. 

It's why all these studio acquisitions don't excite me yet and I won't be excited till they all start releasing games and we see the quality of them. I will turn into a massive fan like I was during 360 gen if they pull it off but until then the standard expectation they have set is average at best. 

13 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah, it's something that really isn't given enough importance in the industry but the management of a catalogue and the producers/managers on individual projects are what makes Sony as good as they are right now. It's a bit of a strange time because Sony are right now the least vocal, consumer open and friendly/personality driven as they have ever been and yet there is no doubt they are at their absolute best atm (first party catalogue wise and business wise).

Meanwhile it seems to be the total opposite with MS. Phil seems so focused on image and public perception and yet MS have never been as badly managed as they are right now. It's actually astounding how bad their last 3 years have been, to the point where I don't even know how it's possible. I thought they were holding games back late last gen because it was a waste and to go heavy with the new gen but they have literally not released a game and I can not understand how you can have as many teams as MS did (even before all the acquistions) and not even have a launch title, let alone a launch window and year 1 lineup and while covid is an excuse, it's not a very good one when your competitor has released 8 games to your zero with the same market conditions. 

What's happened to Turn 10? How do we go from Forza yearly rotation to no forza for multiple years and rumoured back to back Horizons while Playground is also working on Fable. 343 have been an absolute disaster studio but the fact it took the big reveal and public reaction and backlash to give MS the hint of how bad a state Infinite was in shows a major issue with management overseeing the MS first party. 

It's why all these studio acquisitions don't excite me yet and I won't be excited till they all start releasing games and we see the quality of them. I will turn into a massive fan like I was during 360 gen if they pull it off but until then the standard expectation they have set is average at best. 

I agree with it being apparent that Phil is more focused on public perception than he is anything else.  I don't think he really manages the studios anymore.. I think that's Matt Booty's job now, but maybe they're both cut from the same cloth.  Who knows?

Regardless, they should have stuff to show and stuff within a year of being released, and yet it seems like they only have Forza again.  

There's definitely a management problem there.. no two ways around it.

A lot of their games seem 2-3 years out still... and these are from studios that have had since 2017/2018 to be working on games.

Now ok... 5 years for a AAA game isn't unheard of... but 2-3 years into development and we should be seeing product at this point... not CGI trailers and title screens...

With Turn10, I'm kinda being lenient on them because they're completely redoing the engine and everything from the ground up for a new engine.  Yes it's been years since they've put anything out, but since MS has Forza Horizon, it's best to let Turn10 take the time they need and build the new engine for the future.  Seems like they're going to be pretty ambitious with the next gen FM so hopefully it pays off.

I mean just think of it... think of how DIRE their lineup would look for the next 2 years if they didn't purchase Bethesda...  That will give them SOME relief.. but man.. 

Maybe this is the silence before the storm type thing where they do get their ducks in a row and then have a steady stream of games... but like I said before, it's been brutal.  They're leaning so hard on their services over anything else right now, and they're really lucky that they are a company the size of which they are that can absorb it otherwise they'd be done for.