Elden Ring thread

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Open world Souls with horses is 100% what it looks like  Which is fine I guess, just had to adjust my expectations. They just did Sekiro anyway which was a massive change to setting and gameplay so no

Looks fucking amazing. Haven't watched the trailer yet. Day one confirmed.

Holy shit, just watched the trailer. Not sure how can someone not be excited for this and defend Demon's Souls remake at the same time. Have you seen the scale of some of them bosses? Tower Knight fro

23 minutes ago, Ike said:

The environmental textures could use work. Probably won’t be day one on this but will pick it up eventually. Didn’t even finish Demon’s Souls on PS5. :mjgrin:

I didn't finish Demon's Souls either....or Sekiro for that matter. Souls-like games used to be among my favorites but what made them special was the feeling of discovery and not knowing what to expect. Now the games feel so routine when it comes to their ideas and mechanics, that I lose my enthusiasm well before finishing them. Hopefully going open world is going to add some more life to the series.

Omnipotent is a FromSoft employee

Ignore them, just be happy that it wont be long before you have the definitive Fromsoft experience in your hands. As hype as the trailer was, I think once people start hearing more detailed stuff about the systems, design and direction of the game then hype will start to reach fever pitch. It's so much more than just Dark Souls 4, or just another Souls or Fromsoft game. It's THE Souls or Fromsoft game. Lots of people missing the forest for the trees.

Gonna be amazing :blessed: 

• 8 months later...
On 2021-06-11 at 8:45 AM, ghostz said:

It looks like a BOTW clone. 

On 2021-06-11 at 9:15 AM, Remij said:

:drake: 

On 2021-06-11 at 2:24 PM, Remij said:

Pretty much everything looks different.

It's funny you hear "open world" and you see a horse riding mechanic... and you think every game is ripping off BOTW.. :roll: 

On 2021-06-11 at 3:45 PM, Remij said:

It didn't pull a single thing from BOTW.

Lol remij. Hope this was bait

On 2022-03-02 at 9:02 AM, ghostz said:

Lol remij. Hope this was bait

How is it copying BOTW exactly? Elden Ring is pretty much the exact same formula as other Souls games but with bigger open world environment to explore and a horse. Even if BOTW didn't even exist we would have gotten the same game we got, not a single gameplay mechanics or feature in Elden Ring exist directly because of BOTW.  

25 minutes ago, Ramza said:

How is it copying BOTW exactly? Elden Ring is pretty much the exact same formula as other Souls games but with bigger open world environment to explore and a horse. Even if BOTW didn't even exist we would have gotten the same game we got, not a single gameplay mechanics or feature in Elden Ring exist directly because of BOTW.  

i mean tell that to all the reviewers that said it takes siginificant influence from BOTW

1 hour ago, ghostz said:

i mean tell that to all the reviewers that said it takes siginificant influence from BOTW

Yeah a bunch of clueless morons of overrated the fuck out of game because it's the first Souls games they can actually finish. lol

1 hour ago, ghostz said:

The game went into development 2 months after BOTW dropped. It no BOTW, you woulda got dark souls 4. 

Maybe it inspired the game to be open world but that's not a concept that was invented by Nintendo. The game mechanics are nothing like BOTW and the game offers different appeal and design choices. So the game owe BOTW absolutely nothing, what's the point of even mentioning it?

4 hours ago, Ramza said:

Yeah a bunch of clueless morons of overrated the fuck out of game because it's the first Souls games they can actually finish. lol

Maybe it inspired the game to be open world but that's not a concept that was invented by Nintendo. The game mechanics are nothing like BOTW and the game offers different appeal and design choices. So the game owe BOTW absolutely nothing, what's the point of even mentioning it?

Quick reminder, the first true open world game was Zelda 1 on NES but I digress. 

On one hand ghostz is being ridiculous by calling it a BOTW clone (clone would imply that it's a carbon copy)... He's just being a retard as per usual. 

on the other hand you're also saying NOTHING in Elden Ring was inspired by BOTW.. Which is also not true. 

Games do not exist in a bubble and developers take inspiration from certain aspects of other games all the time. That in no way takes anything way from Elden Ring. 

Edited by Goukosan
4 hours ago, Ramza said:

Maybe it inspired it to be an open world? Well no shit, and that open world is 99% of the people are loving it. So it inspired the biggest change in the souls series. 

I’d say BOTW was significant in the ER development, then. 

26 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Quick reminder, the first true open world game was Zelda 1 on NES but I digress. 

On one hand ghostz is being ridiculous by calling it a BOTW clone (clone would imply that it's a carbon copy)... He's just being a retard as per usual. 

on the other hand you're also saying NOTHING in Elden Ring was inspired by BOTW.. Which is also not true. 

Games do not exist in a bubble and developers take inspiration from certain aspects of other games all the time. That in no way takes anything way from Elden Ring. 

There's no clear BOTW inspiration in Elden Ring, it's mechanics, level design or art direction are all vastly different. The only thing they are remotely similar is the fact both are open world... one of the most common and popular gaming genre for the past decade or more. lol So unless Miyazaki come out and openly say he was inspired by BOTW only then would it truly be the case because nothing in the game indicates that it is. 

What was inspired by BOTW? Please enlighten me, because it plays exactly like you'd expect Souls game to play, with similar level design and progression. About the only thing that feels remotely new is the horse and the large open ended environment. 

16 minutes ago, Ramza said:

There's no clear BOTW inspiration in Elden Ring, it's mechanics, level design or art direction are all vastly different. The only thing they are remotely similar is the fact both are open world... one of the most common and popular gaming genre for the past decade or more. lol So unless Miyazaki come out and openly say he was inspired by BOTW only then would it truly be the case because nothing in the game indicates that it is. 

What was inspired by BOTW? Please enlighten me, because it plays exactly like you'd expect Souls game to play, with similar level design and progression. About the only thing that feels remotely new is the horse and the large open ended environment. 

On 2022-02-28 at 10:58 PM, Ramza said:

It goes to prove that open world games doesn't need a million markers on a map telling you where to go or what the next repetitive side mission is going to be. Exploration is it's own reward. 

In your own words. BOTW showed this in 2017, and Elden Ring took that and applied it to the Souls formula and struck gold.

Just now, Goukosan said:

In your own words. BOTW showed this in 2017, and Elden Ring took that and applied it to the Souls formula and struck gold.

Nah.  A FROMSOFT open-world Souls game was NEVER going to have map markers and quest update logs and shit like that.

Elden Ring... is Dark Souls in an open world.  That's it.  It's taken its inspiration from anime like BERSERK, as Souls games always have.   You can't even say Torrent was a copy of Epona... because there's plenty of horses in BERSERK and obviously in a game with a huge open world you need a method of traversing quickly.. a horse is just obvious.

I don't think it's taken a single thing from BOTW.  I don't think they needed BOTW to see that an open-world Souls game would sell well... they already knew that before BOTW even existed.  It's a well known fact that open-world games sell like crazy... so putting 2 and 2 together wasn't some massive step that BOTW made them see.  They've slowly been working towards this through each of their games.  This was simply the next step.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Nah.  A FROMSOFT open-world Souls game was NEVER going to have map markers and quest update logs and shit like that.

Elden Ring... is Dark Souls in an open world.  That's it.  It's taken its inspiration from anime like BERSERK, as Souls games always have.   You can't even say Torrent was a copy of Epona... because there's plenty of horses in BERSERK and obviously in a game with a huge open world you need a method of traversing quickly.. a horse is just obvious.

I don't think it's taken a single thing from BOTW.  I don't think they needed BOTW to see that an open-world Souls game would sell well... they already knew that before BOTW even existed.  It's a well known fact that open-world games sell like crazy... so putting 2 and 2 together wasn't some massive step that BOTW made them see.  They've slowly been working towards this through each of their games.  This was simply the next step.

You can believe it didn't take anything from BOTW all you want, that belief is in the minority. 

13 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

You can believe it didn't take anything from BOTW all you want, that belief is in the minority. 

Yea, I'm well aware that Sheep are desperate to keep BOTW in the conversation and acting like BOTW created the genre...

The game didn't take one single fucking thing from Zelda :tom: 

2 hours ago, Remij said:

Yea, I'm well aware that Sheep are desperate to keep BOTW in the conversation and acting like BOTW created the genre...

The game didn't take one single fucking thing from Zelda :tom: 

Nothing you just said was said by me, try that gaslighting shit somewhere else :camby:

The one's driving the "Eldin Ring took inspiration from certain elements of BOTW" aren't even sheep. Like I said earlier you have your opinion, it's just in the minority :umad:

11 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Nothing you just said was said by me, try that gaslighting shit somewhere else :camby:

The one's driving the "Eldin Ring took inspiration from certain elements of BOTW" aren't even sheep. Like I said earlier you have your opinion, it's just in the minority :umad:

LOL, you and other sheep ARE desperate to keep BOTW in the conversation... it's the first thing you guys say whenever an open world game comes out now.

And sure they are.  As I said... again... people want to keep BOTW in the conversation.  That Verge article is proof 100%.  Elden Ring came out... lit the Metacritic score board up... and immediately sites want to compare it to BOTW.  Why?  Because it drives fucking hits.... 

Oh mah gawd it's an open world game... it's copying BOTW!@@!  You can ride a horse and there's no quest markers!!@!! :adhd: 

Tell me ONE THING, you think Elden Ring was inspired by BOTW by.... It's bullshit.

Edited by Remij
4 hours ago, -GD-X said:

the only thing i loved about BOTW was how you can climb and interact with everything, which no other game has matched. unfortunately, there wasn't much i wanted to interact with.

Nothing special about that. They just mashed up the concept from Ass Creed of climbing everything with the stamina gauge from Shadow of the Colossus