The Medium PS5/XSX comparison video (youtuber video)

Looks like they trade blows in certain areas.  PS5 has some lighting and color grading differences which IMO make some scenes look much better, while the Series X seems to have a resolution advantage in some scenes.  Some effects work has also been done/changed.. where Depth of Field looks to be done differently.  Not exactly better or worse, but just different.

Oh and at the end of the video, there's a comparison of her hair and the textures, and in the Series X version it looks terribly stippled and the PS5 version looks tons better with textures loaded in more as well... but I'm almost 100% sure that the Series X frame was taken directly after a camera cut when the reconstruction tech hasn't accumulated to smooth it out.  If not then holy shit TLHBR... but I'm pretty sure what I said is accurate.

Overall though... don't bother.  This game sucked, and it was a real slog to go through, especially towards the end when you're just slowly moving like molasses "running" down corridors...

They had a neat idea, but failed to pull it all off well.

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

The game is ass and bare bones, was literally only worth playing cause it was a 'next gen' exclusive yet it plays like a game from generations ago. 

Yea, that's pretty much true.

It wasn't fun at all.. or really even interesting.  They failed on most things they set out to do.  The world swapping stuff could have been cool.. but the puzzles sucked and let the entire mechanic down.

Just now, Remij said:

Yea, that's pretty much true.

It wasn't fun at all.. or really even interesting.  They failed on most things they set out to do.  The world swapping stuff could have been cool.. but the puzzles sucked and let the entire mechanic down.

It has some of the worst puzzles I've ever seen. I don't think you can even call them puzzles. Was fetch quests to find the solitary item in empty rooms and return to a place. You never even had to think what item was for what cause it was so linear. The only actual puzzle was the water pump one near the end.

The world swapping stuff had potential but was extremely underutilised. Basically just 'oh now go find that one item in the other dimension instead of the next room' lol. Horrendous game design. The game is a 5-6/10.

and omg the stealth sections. Also has one of the worst chase scenes I've ever played.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

You guys are being harsh….game definitely had some very good ideas, probably 7.5 quality IMO. Though I do have a soft spot for anything horror related

I'd say it's a 6 max. The intro is good and the Thomas character carries the story when introduced. Other than that is pretty bad. Dull af main character too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

You guys are being harsh….game definitely had some very good ideas, probably 7.5 quality IMO. Though I do have a soft spot for anything horror related

I don't think I'm being that harsh on it.  It's just a chore to play through in all honesty.  Like Madmal said, the puzzles weren't really puzzles at all.. just go here, get this, go there activate that.. then go back and voila!  Even the more interesting ones were just that.. like the red house with the butterflies and masks..

For me the biggest thing bringing it down is the movement and controls of the game.  It's just painful at times to mosey down some stupid hall or something moving so slowly, and interacting with anything was just needlessly slow.  Resident Evil and other games that pioneered this stuff did it better on their first attempts.  I'm ALL down for fixed camera / dynamic cameras in horror games with characters that have limited mobility and movesets.. but you have to have immediate control over the character.

I know the game lacks combat so maybe some people can forgive not having the most responsive controls... but having to deal with slow, drawn out animations and bad control just to explore the environments is worse.

54 minutes ago, Remij said:

Looks like they trade blows in certain areas.  PS5 has some lighting and color grading differences which IMO make some scenes look much better, while the Series X seems to have a resolution advantage in some scenes.  Some effects work has also been done/changed.. where Depth of Field looks to be done differently.  Not exactly better or worse, but just different.

Oh and at the end of the video, there's a comparison of her hair and the textures, and in the Series X version it looks terribly stippled and the PS5 version looks tons better with textures loaded in more as well... but I'm almost 100% sure that the Series X frame was taken directly after a camera cut when the reconstruction tech hasn't accumulated to smooth it out.  If not then holy shit TLHBR... but I'm pretty sure what I said is accurate.

Overall though... don't bother.  This game sucked, and it was a real slog to go through, especially towards the end when you're just slowly moving like molasses "running" down corridors...

They had a neat idea, but failed to pull it all off well.

The PS5 version looks better in that comparison video, regardless if the game sucked or not. 

14 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

The PS5 version looks better in that comparison video, regardless if the game sucked or not. 

In some ways yes, in others, no.

Overall, sure, I guess.

3 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

Yeah, I love missing ray tracing as well. 

The PS5 version isn't out until September and the prerelease footage of the unfinished game already looks better than the Xbox version :lawl: