PC beatdown 2021: Lost Judgment could be the last game in the series due to disagreement between SEGA & the agency of actor Takuya Kimura (Agency doesn’t want PC port)

37 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, they are much more alive than Xbox will ever be.

I don't know what you were thinking..........did you honestly think trying to criticize the Playstation's presence in Japan was going to take away from the simple fact that Xbox is an absolutely NON-STARTER in Japan?

If anything, you just made the argument for Sega abandoning PC/Xbox development of Judgement and devoting those resources to the Switch, which would have been allowed in this situation.

All signs are pointing SEGA in the direction of CLEARLY focusing the Judgement IP towards Sony and Nintendo.

NO ONE is talking about Japan. Try to keep up short bus. This is about the IP, the games, and their availability EVERYWHERE.

If companies like Sega release Japanese centric games inconsistently on platforms like Xbox and PC they will never sell anything because they would have no built up userbase to purchase them.

People don't go to Xbox for Japanese games because it's few and far between. If that were not the case, if they got the release frequency and a breadth of Japanese titles on a consistent basis those games would find an audience on the platform and sell.

This is the case for PC as well, that's why Sega is expanding, building up a following outside of PlayStation. The console ecosystem is shrinking, budgets are skyrocketing, they need larger returns in more places.

It's as simple as that. Putting all of their eggs in one basket in 2021 is just bad for business.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seriously.   "Developer is willing to end series rather than give up making the series for that platform, therefore that platform is owned" has got to be the dumbest leap in logic this place

Its not a new IP  It's basically a Yakuza spin off set within the same universe with many of the same gameplay systems and mechanics.

Don't bother, it's a Yakuza spinoff lol.

42 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its not a new IP :ben: It's basically a Yakuza spin off set within the same universe with many of the same gameplay systems and mechanics.

yeah, that's called a new IP.

A new revenue stream, a new successful $60 game they can sell.

which is something SEGA doesn't achieve quite often these days. And they're thinking of completely closing it down.

35 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

NO ONE is talking about Japan. Try to keep up short bus. This is about the IP, the games, and their availability EVERYWHERE.

Yes, they are talking about Japan.

The talent agency that is restricting the actor is clearly basing it from their perspective in Japan.

They clearly don't want anything to do with Western companies.

That is the hand that SEGA has been dealt.

Once again, I ask a very simple question: Does SEGA want to make money with their new IP that has found success?

Or do they want to make nothing?

That's the hand they've been dealt.  The talent agency wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think they had leverage.

10 minutes ago, jehurey said:

yeah, that's called a new IP.

A new revenue stream, a new successful $60 game they can sell.

which is something SEGA doesn't achieve quite often these days. And they're thinking of completely closing it down.

The first game was successful because of its Yakuza roots. It has a different name but that doesn't make it a new property.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

The first game was successful because of its Yakuza roots. It has a different name but that doesn't make it a new property.

you're arguing semantics needlessly.

For business reasons, it is a NEW IP

for stupid fanboyish reasons, it came from an existing universe. you can go ahead and do that all you want.

Judgment is every bit of a Yakuza game except in name. Same universe, same engine, same devs, same type of gameplay, same assets.

If it was titled Yakuza: Judgment it wouldn't change a thing. It's hardly a new IP.

Majority of people who bought this were already fan of the series.

4 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Judgment is every bit of a Yakuza game except in name. Same universe, same engine, same devs, same type of gameplay, same assets.

If it was titled Yakuza: Judgment it wouldn't change a thing. It's hardly a new IP.

Majority of people who bought this were already fan of the series.

LOL, that wouldn't hold up in a lawsuit or in a court. That's 100% an internet-forum argument.

By that logic, anything using the Unreal engine is just "expanded IP"

If its literally listed as a different $60 sku, then its legally a separate product.  That's all I'm saying.

To SEGA, its a new revenue stream, and a successful new revenue stream. Which is something they don't accomplish much these days. Acting like its easily "replace-able" would be short-sided.

Edited by jehurey
Just now, jehurey said:

LOL, that wouldn't hold up in a lawsuit or in a court.

By that logic, anything using the Unreal engine is just "expanded IP"

If its literally listed as a different $60 sku, then its legally a separate product.  That's all I'm saying.

To SEGA, its a new revenue stream, and a successful new revenue stream. Which is something they don't accomplish much these days. Acting like its easily "replace-able" would be short-sided.

Your analogy makes no sense in this scenario. I'm not saying it simply uses the same engine, it's part of the same universe and story.

They changed the name because the main character is not part of the Yakuza and Kiryu story was ended but it takes place in the same universe, the same city and you meet characters from the main series and the game acknowledges all the events that transpired in the Yakuza series. It's part of the same timeline.

Like I said, it could be titled Yakuza: Judgment and no fan of the series would have been angry at this since it's hardly a non recognizable product, it hardly brought anything new thing to the table. Hell, Yakuza: Like a Dragon was a far different game that changed the formula than Judgment.

It's a Yakuza spin-off, period. It's the exact same shit with some detective minigames. Other than a technicality there is no point in arguing that it's a totally brand new IP. It's made for the Yakuza fanbase, it was bought by the Yakuza fanbase, it was made by the same devs and continues to expand on the same universe. How is that considered a totally brand new IP other than the title?

Just now, Ramza said:

Your analogy makes no sense in this scenario. I'm not saying it simply uses the same engine, it's part of the same universe and story.

Legally, and business-wise............it means nothing.

You're like arguing with me Marvel storylines about this character originating from a previous comic book.

LEGALLY, it doesn't matter.

The fact that the actor and his talent agency CAN PUT A STOP to the release of future Judgement games should give you a pretty big hint of what I am trying to say.

I am being technical here..............I've gone out of my way to emphasize that I'm being technical.

I'm not trying to make a loser-fanboy internet-forum argument.

"ACKSHUALLY!!!":diplo:

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

Yeah you are.

And you don't even have a good business argument to begin with.

SEGA either wants to make money, or they don't.

They finally have a NEW IP that is successful, which is something they don't accomplish every other day.

Their choice is clear, leave it for consoles, especially PS4 and PS5 which has a massive userbase in US and Japan to satisfy whatever sales expectations they may have............and make money.

OR............make no money at all.

The PC sales are absolutely not worth losing PS4/PS5 sales.  You aren't smart enough to provide a persuasive argument to the contrary.

What kind of fucking retarded post is this? :tom: 

Sega stopping making Judgement doesn't mean losing PS4/PS5 sales.... it means they make a new game without this dipshit actor and sell MORE by ALSO being on PC.

And hunnie.... hate to break it to you... but Sega makes most of their money from PC.

And PS5 might as well not even exist in Japan... lmfao WiiU ass trajectory for that system...

And LOL Switch.... you'll be lucky to get anything that isn't indie level shit from SEGA there..

18 minutes ago, Remij said:

What kind of fucking retarded post is this? :tom: 

Sega stopping making Judgement doesn't mean losing PS4/PS5 sales.... it means they make a new game without this dipshit actor and sell MORE by ALSO being on PC.

And hunnie.... hate to break it to you... but Sega makes most of their money from PC.

And PS5 might as well not even exist in Japan... lmfao WiiU ass trajectory for that system...

And LOL Switch.... you'll be lucky to get anything that isn't indie level shit from SEGA there..

Its trajectory is below the Wii U lol...

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

Legally, and business-wise............it means nothing.

You're like arguing with me Marvel storylines about this character originating from a previous comic book.

LEGALLY, it doesn't matter.

The fact that the actor and his talent agency CAN PUT A STOP to the release of future Judgement games should give you a pretty big hint of what I am trying to say.

I am being technical here..............I've gone out of my way to emphasize that I'm being technical.

I'm not trying to make a loser-fanboy internet-forum argument.

"ACKSHUALLY!!!":diplo:

Sure on paper it is but you have to admit it's a Yakuza game in everything but it's name, that's my argument. It doesn't change anything that it's a new IP as it serves the same purpose and pleases the same fanbase as a typical Yakuza game, it didn't break new grounds for Sega in any way.

12 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Sure on paper it is but you have to admit it's a Yakuza game in everything but it's name, that's my argument. It doesn't change anything that it's a new IP as it serves the same purpose and pleases the same fanbase as a typical Yakuza game, it didn't break new grounds for Sega in any way.

Don't bother, it's a Yakuza spinoff lol.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Ramza said:

Sure on paper it is

That's the only thing that matters to SEGA. And that actor and his talent agency.

You think SEGA gives a shit about how you view as an internet forum fanboy?

3 hours ago, jehurey said:

That's the only thing that matters to SEGA. And that actor and his talent agency.

You think SEGA gives a shit about how you view as an internet forum fanboy?

It's like you don't even read my whole post. As I said, it changes nothing besides legal matters and licensing because this game is meant to appeal to Yakuza fans as it's part of the Yakuza franchise. If you think they threat Judgment as an entirely different property with different goals and is aimed at a different fanbase you are simply wrong.

16 minutes ago, Ramza said:

It's like you don't even read my whole post. As I said, it changes nothing besides legal matters

its like you don't know why this thread exist in the first place.

it is a legal matter.

its a business matter.

its definitely not a fanboy or "lore" related manner.

The fact that you think this is replaceable or expendable because you seem to think that Yakuza is gold no matter what.........you clearly don't remember the other failed attempts of where they tried to take Yakuza spinoffs.

Yakuza Dead Souls = immediate flop

Yakuza game set in the old period = flopped

Judgment was the most successful release for a new IP for the eighth generation of video game consoles in the country, although this record was later broken by Death Stranding.[103] Producer Daisuke Sato said that Western sales of Judgment had exceeded expectations

SEGA has alot to lose here.

On 2021-07-13 at 7:33 PM, DynamiteCop said:

PlayStation is dead in Japan, Japan the territory has nothing to do with this. Absolute autist.

PlayStation sells millions of consoles every gen in Japan, it's far from dead. 

20 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

Its trajectory is below the Wii U lol...

That's more of a shortage reason than a customers don't want it reason. 

It's pretty safe to say that PS5 will do much better than Wiiu in Japan when it's all said and done.