Company of Heroes 3 was just announced *Pre-alpha demo available*

• Twinblade★ changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 was just announced *Pre-alpha demo available*

oh shit, theres a pre-alpha demo that the public can play. Are there really no real hermits left on this forum to post this type of news? I guess I need to help them make PC gaming less irrelevant

Go to companyofheroes.com and hit the big play now button in the top right corner.

Check your email for a confirmation and click the link in the email to complete your profile in the CoH-Development program.

Follow the on-screen prompts to log in on the community portal.

Connect your Steam profile on the Rewards page.

Follow the prompts to claim the pre-alpha preview.

The Company of Heroes 3- Pre-Alpha Preview should now be in your Steam library.

Played a bit of the Pre-alpha. Im not sure how I feel about their direction with this game. The campaign puts you in a Civilzation-esque overworld type of map, where you can engage other units, scout territory, and try to capture bases and shit. Some of the bases are basically the equivalent of normal RTS missions so triggering encounters with them starts a typical CoH style battle. But I think the design of the overworld is going to result in a lot of simple missions that amount to little more than you going around and comparing a bunch of bases. What I like about CoH is the intensity of the missions and their unique and constantly changing objectives. It might be too early to say but I feel like thats not going to be the focus of this game.

12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Played a bit of the Pre-alpha. Im not sure how I feel about their direction with this game. The campaign puts you in a Civilzation-esque overworld type of map, where you can engage other units, scout territory, and try to capture bases and shit. Some of the bases are basically the equivalent of normal RTS missions so triggering encounters with them starts a typical CoH style battle. But I think the design of the overworld is going to result in a lot of simple missions that amount to little more than you going around and comparing a bunch of bases. What I like about CoH is the intensity of the missions and their unique and constantly changing objectives. It might be too early to say but I feel like thats not going to be the focus of this game.

It has a turn based campaign??? Sounds good to me as a Total War fan.

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

It has a turn based campaign??? Sounds good to me as a Total War fan.

Yeah, if you like stuff like Total War then you will probably dig it. Im just concerned that designing for that type of campaign is going to have a negative effect on the core CoH gameplay.

• Upvote 1

I finished the first mission and the gameplay is pretty much classic CoH which I definitely won't complain about. I suck ass though and my main strategy so far is just build as many different type of units as possible, group them all together, and just send them on kamikaze runs to capture points and other objectives. Judge me all you want but its worked so far :ben: 

The overworld map is still overwhelming. Im hoping the tutorial in the full game is a bit longer, as they really only briefly touch on some of the features.

11 hours ago, Remij said:

Twinky the closet Hermit :lawd:

I mean I haven't been excited for any PC centric games in a long time, but this year is going to have both Company Of Heroes 3 and Age of Empires 4. I don't even like RTSs in general but those 2 franchises have always been among my favorites.

Ok, I can safely say im not a fan at all of the turn based overworld map. I spent at least an hour just slowly moving units around making almost no progress before I finally found an actual RTS mission, but then at that point I realized I needed a break and didn't even play it. I browsed the steam forums and it seems that the majority of CoH fans don't like the turn based meta game. Im not sure why they thought they need to reinvent the series by adding it. If It was faster paced and not require so much micromanaging in terms of units and resources it could be good, but the fact that you can spend a hour or longer digging through menus and moving toy soldiers on a map before finding a mission feels like a big mistake. I just wanted a new focused & intense CoH campaign, and this is not that.

Its not launching until Fall 2022 at the earliest apparently (for some reason I thought it was this year), so they still have a lot of time to address the game's structure but Im lowering my expectations for sure.

On 2021-07-14 at 8:05 AM, Twinblade said:

This really puts into perspective how weak AoE4 looks graphically. Same studio but CoH3 looks a whole generation better. Im starting to think MS is to blame

Imagine what the video game budgets are for these Xbox developers who have been told that their game is going to be put on GamePass.

30 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Imagine what the video game budgets are for these Xbox developers who have been told that their game is going to be put on GamePass.

Phil just opens up his wallet and start counting a few one dollar bills... :lul: 

Which is why I'm surprised they bought Bethesda at all. Elderscrolls team takes like 5 years before releasing one game on a new engine. Not the kind of studio I'd be interested in if I needed quick exclusive content for Gamepass. But then again MS is a retarded company with no insight and a huge coffer.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Phil just opens up his wallet and start counting a few one dollar bills... :lul: 

Which is why I'm surprised they bought Bethesda at all. Elderscrolls team takes like 5 years before releasing one game on a new engine. Not the kind of studio I'd be interested in if I needed quick exclusive content for Gamepass. But then again MS is a retarded company with no insight and a huge coffer.

they use the SAME game engine for the past 15 years.

21 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I will definitely play this on Steam Deck.

When you think about this vs a remake of Advanced Wars, it just makes you proud not to be a Sheep.

the question to ask is: what butthurt Nintendo hater is going around "thinking" about that?:mjgrin: