Report: Netflix to start offering games

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflix-will-offer-video-games-hires-former-ea-and-zynga-exec-report/1100-6493951/

According to a report from Bloomberg, Netflix is looking to get into video games, though plenty of questions remain and nothing is locked down and certain at this stage. The company has hired former Electronic Arts and Zynga executive Mike Verdu to lead its efforts in this area as its vice president of game development, the report said.

"The idea is to offer video games on Netflix's streaming platform within the next year," Bloomberg reported, citing a source close to the situation.

"The company doesn't currently plan to charge extra for the content," the report said.

The report goes on to say that Netflix is looking to expand its gaming team in the coming months, and some game development positions are already listed on Netflix's careers page.

This could be huge.

• Twinblade★ changed the title to Report: Netflix to start offering games
21 minutes ago, Cooke said:

Yeah Bloomberg also said Nintendo was making a switch pro and there were Donald Trump peeper tapes 

Netflix hired a EA/Zynga executive and have numerous game related job openings. This seems like a natural evolution for them, imagine watching the latest movie/show release and wanting to take a break, so you simply click on a Game tab and are instantly able to stream Triple A games from your device whether its a desktop, laptop, tablet, etc.

They would be unstoppable honestly and im surprised they haven't tried this sooner.

I may not fail guaranteed but I don't see Netflix becoming a huge competitor.  It's smart of them to diversify though.  Especially when so many competing streaming services are coming online.  But to compete with MS or even Sony I don't know if that's smart.

Edited by Spicalicious
  • Ben 1
9 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

:kaz: streaming movies and streaming games are two different animals.  Netflix doesn't have the expertise that MS has in this department.  Stop kidding yourselves.  This will fail.  Guaranteed.

Expertise? Xbox Cloud Streaming is a flop so far in case you haven't noticed

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-cloud-gaming-xcloud-review

:mjpls:

I'm pretty much done with streaming services.  If you are a member at ipt you can use iptv.. get all released movies, events ufc and all that crap live tv in every country.. for $10 a month.  HD extremely high quality.  use vlc to stream

Edited by Spicalicious
4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Expertise? Xbox Cloud Streaming is a flop so far in case you haven't noticed

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-cloud-gaming-xcloud-review

:mjpls:

What expertise does Netflix have?  Streaming films?  How hard is that?   Youtube did it when?  The point is MS are experts in client/server infrastructure and if anyone can built it form the ground up it's them.  They are very much concentrating on Xbox right now thank god.. Fuck Android devices. :kaz: 

Edited by Spicalicious
4 hours ago, Spicalicious said:

What expertise does Netflix have?  Streaming films?  How hard is that?   Youtube did it when?  The point is MS are experts in client/server infrastructure and if anyone can built it form the ground up it's them.  They are very much concentrating on Xbox right now thank god.. Fuck Android devices. :kaz: 

And GeForce Now absolutely is heads and shoulders above xCloud, its not even funny.

So...........Microsoft's expertise simply isn't worth anything.

And when I say that GeForce Now is better, I'm not talking about graphics. They are clearly better with latency.

So it would not surprise me if Netflix gets up and running and catches up to where xCloud is at.

There's a real danger here, because families are already paying $18 for that Netflix family plan, and wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more to add gaming service on top of that.

Hell, they wouldn't need to charge $5.......they already have 200 million subscribers. They probably could have a fourth of a fifth of them sign up for video games, and just charge $2 a month, and they'd probably start securing decent exclusive games.

And the Netflix model is based around exclusives that they 100% own forever.

On 2021-07-15 at 1:31 AM, jehurey said:

And GeForce Now absolutely is heads and shoulders above xCloud, its not even funny.

So...........Microsoft's expertise simply isn't worth anything.

And when I say that GeForce Now is better, I'm not talking about graphics. They are clearly better with latency.

So it would not surprise me if Netflix gets up and running and catches up to where xCloud is at.

There's a real danger here, because families are already paying $18 for that Netflix family plan, and wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more to add gaming service on top of that.

Hell, they wouldn't need to charge $5.......they already have 200 million subscribers. They probably could have a fourth of a fifth of them sign up for video games, and just charge $2 a month, and they'd probably start securing decent exclusive games.

And the Netflix model is based around exclusives that they 100% own forever.

so what type of  controller input would you use to play games on Netflix.  Will all the processing be done on their servers and then streamed to the gamer at home?  Processing streamed videos and actual games is different.  what control scheme will they use if they don't have their own hardware?  I doubt it's a simple as netflix setting up streaming games and people can suddenly buy a sony controller and connect it to their tv's and use it for gaming on netflix. 

So please give me a detailed summary of how Neflix will do this.  Will it be kiddy shit games that don't take much power?..  like sidescroller minigames and shit that nintendo fans like you are into?  That's no threat to MS then.

Edited by Spicalicious
5 hours ago, Spicalicious said:

so what type of  controller input would you use to play games on Netflix.  Will all the processing be done on their servers and then streamed to the gamer at home?  Processing streamed videos and actual games is different.  what control scheme will they use if they don't have their own hardware?  I doubt it's a simple as netflix setting up streaming games and people can suddenly buy a sony controller and connect it to their tv's and use it for gaming on netflix. 

So please give me a detailed summary of how Neflix will do this.  Will it be kiddy shit games that don't take much power?..  like sidescroller minigames and shit that nintendo fans like you are into?  That's no threat to MS then.

What is necessary........Netflix will easily have the money and resources to do it.

LOL, you act like this is where the "secret sauce" is.

Microsoft hasn't even accomplished this part competently with xCloud.

On 2021-07-14 at 9:06 PM, Spicalicious said:

I'm pretty much done with streaming services.  If you are a member at ipt you can use iptv.. get all released movies, events ufc and all that crap live tv in every country.. for $10 a month.  HD extremely high quality.  use vlc to stream

Sounds so fun. 

Netflix movies all suck ass so I'm not sure I would expect anything good from them for gaming. Maybe a few of those loli rape sims for the Cuties crowd :bena:

I think I'd rather use game pass than netflix and you all know how  much I hate Microsoft