Valve announced a new handheld and it looks like shit

2 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's got a high PPI for the screen size.  800p should look quite nice on it.  Probably a good trade-off between the hardware's capabilities and visual quality.  If what Durante says is true, you're looking at around Series X performance at the devices native resolution.

I wonder what battery life is like though.

Again, the main thing turning me off from this is that the controllers don't detach.

Not sure what a high PPI means. But yeah, of course it will have great performance ratio at 800p. lol

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Valve came out with a Switch Pro before Nintendo

lol sheep are shook ITT   "a number of popular online games don't work on it"   Well you guys have been skipping most online games for decades now so I'm sure everyone else can co

Posted Images

Just now, Ramza said:

Not sure what a high PPI means. But yeah, of course it will have great performance ratio at 800p. lol

It's Pixels Per Inch.  So yea, they made a trade-off because they want the handheld to be as performant as possible to play the wide variety of games available on Steam at decent framerates.

Will be interesting to see what people do with this device though.  You can install Windows or any other OS on it.. and I'm sure people will overclock it and do all sorts of crazy shit.

Could be a sick little Game Pass device as well.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

It's Pixels Per Inch.  So yea, they made a trade-off because they want the handheld to be as performant as possible to play the wide variety of games available on Steam at decent framerates.

Will be interesting to see what people do with this device though.  You can install Windows or any other OS on it.. and I'm sure people will overclock it and do all sorts of crazy shit.

Could be a sick little Game Pass device as well.

You can install any OS? 😮 That'd make a nice emulation machine too. 

But really, there's no way I'm getting this. I'd rather just get another gaming laptop. I think it's cool though.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

You can install any OS? 😮 That'd make a nice emulation machine too. 

But really, there's no way I'm getting this. I'd rather just get another gaming laptop. I think it's cool though.

Yea, I'm with ya there.  It's very cool, but Valve doesn't have a good track record with supporting hardware they throw out there.

All this stuff they are doing though has a motive behind it.. and that is to become less dependent on Windows and traditional PC hardware.  They've REALLY been improving their Proton support (so all these games run on Linux) and that's their Ace in the hole for whenever the time comes that MS tries to pull some shady shit with Windows or whatever.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Ramza said:

I'm pretty sure a 1280 x 800 pixel resolution 7 inch screen is not that high of a PPI.

If I did my math correct, the screen itself is going to measure 5.94 inches in width, and 3.71" in height.

1280 pixels / 5.94 inches = 215.49

800 pixels / 3.71 inches = 215.63

PPI is going to be about 215 pixels per inch.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I'm pretty sure a 1280 x 800 pixel resolution 7 inch screen is not that high of a PPI.

If I did my math correct, the screen itself is going to measure 5.94 inches in width, and 3.71" in height.

1280 pixels / 5.94 inches = 215.49

800 pixels / 3.71 inches = 215.63

PPI is going to be about 215 pixels per inch.

It's far higher than your 55'' 4K tv...

1 minute ago, Remij said:

He can't argue with facts... but of course he'll try :shrug: 

No you didn't present any facts.

in fact, you reverted to talking about me.

And you're going to continue to talk about me, specifically because you don't have facts.

Just now, jehurey said:

No, not when you factor distance from viewing the screen.

LOL, the butthurt still continues.

PPI doesn't change based on distance.

That's another fact for you.

Just now, Remij said:

PPI doesn't change based on distance.

That's another fact for you.

Based on when Apple first introduced the concept of PPI for their phones, this was almost 10 years ago........they factor distance from where you hold the screen from your face.

So, you're clearly wrong when you're trying to mislead about the screen looking more detailed than when I'm playing games on my gorgeous OLED.

......and its also some cheap, basic LCD, on top of that:kaz:

Just now, jehurey said:

Based on when Apple first introduced the concept of PPI for their phones, this was almost 10 years ago........they factor distance from where you hold the screen from your face.

So, you're clearly wrong when you're trying to mislead about the screen looking more detailed than when I'm playing games on my gorgeous OLED.

......and its also some cheap, basic LCD, on top of that:kaz:

No.  They are fixed pixel displays... the number of pixels of the screen doesn't change based on your distance from it..

See... here you are trying to argue against FACTS. :tom: 

Just now, Remij said:

No.  They are fixed pixel displays... the number of pixels of the screen doesn't change based on your distance from it..

See... here you are trying to argue against FACTS. :tom: 

It still doesn't change the fact that you tried to say that the Valve screen was going to be more detailed than mines.

.........and you're wrong.

You tried to mislead..........its very simple, are you saying that you watch a 55 inch television from 10 to 12 inches away from screen?

You're not going to answer that........which is where you'll lose this argument.:blessed:

Just now, jehurey said:

It still doesn't change the fact that you tried to say that the Valve screen was going to be more detailed than mines.

.........and you're wrong.

You tried to mislead..........its very simple, are you saying that you watch a 55 inch television from 10 to 12 inches away from screen?

You're not going to answer that........which is where you'll lose this argument.:blessed:

No.

You said it didn't have "that high of a PPI" and I stated it's higher than your 4K TV.

Everything else is you on some butthurt Jerry-go-round starting bullshit. :shrug: 

Just now, Remij said:

No.

You said it didn't have "that high of a PPI" and I stated it's higher than your 4K TV.

Everything else is you on some butthurt Jerry-go-round starting bullshit. :shrug: 

just like I said

You're not going to answer that........which is where you'll lose this argument.

So you are in agreement with me that me viewing my 55 inch OLED is much more detailed than this handheld.

Thanks for the admission.:blessed:

You're right...........there's no reason to do a Remierry-butthurt-go-round, because you admit that my viewing experience is more detailed than the handheld.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

just like I said

So you are in agreement with me that me viewing my 55 inch OLED is much more detailed than this handheld.

Thanks for the admission.:blessed:

You're right...........there's no reason to do a Remierry-butthurt-go-round, because you admit that my viewing experience is more detailed than the handheld.

Look how insecure this fuck is about is TV :smilecry: 

Yes your TV is better dipshit... :drake: 

The Steam Deck still has a higher PPI though :danylol: 

Just now, Remij said:

Look how insecure this fuck is about is TV :smilecry: 

Yes your TV is better dipshit... :drake: 

The Steam Deck still has a higher PPI though :danylol: 

Look at him losing his shit:kaz:

Probably got mad because of the Remieery-butthurt-go-round™ label.

I love how he still tried to repeat the PPI remark after he already admitted defeat of the what he was trying to mislead in the first place. Like he's desperately trying to restart his bait again.

Thanks for also admitting that Steam Deck has a pathetic PPI for a handheld device.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Look at him losing his shit:kaz:

Probably got mad because of the Remieery-butthurt-go-round™ label.

I love how he still tried to repeat the PPI remark after he already admitted defeat of the what he was trying to mislead in the first place. Like he's desperately trying to restart his bait again.

Thanks for also admitting that Steam Deck has a pathetic PPI for a handheld device.

Nothing I've said changes.  You got butthurt over a factual comment... and you literally needed me to tell you your TV was in fact better than this 7'' screen.

The only thing pathetic here is you :hest: 

5 minutes ago, Remij said:

Nothing I've said changes.  You got butthurt over a factual comment... and you literally needed me to tell you your TV was in fact better than this 7'' screen.

The only thing pathetic here is you :hest: 

And he tries to start it up again.

Remieery-butthurt-go-round™

Actually, nobody had brought up my television at all in this entire thread..............until you did.:drake: