Valve announced a new handheld and it looks like shit

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

This is one thing I won't agree with you on. It's a nice concept but that would require additional work on behalf of every developer and that's just not going to happen. It'd be a kin to the work put into stadia titles where they're basically just a PC game configured a certain way with the settings removed.

The deck has SD expansion for additional storage, capacity is not going to be an issue.

Well, I agree with what he's saying, but even just in a general sense.  I think developers should give gamers the option to download as small of packages as possible given the hardware they're wanting to play on.

Having the standard download be "medium or high textures" and prompting you if you want to download the highest Ultra resolution textures or not, would go a long way.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Valve came out with a Switch Pro before Nintendo

lol sheep are shook ITT   "a number of popular online games don't work on it"   Well you guys have been skipping most online games for decades now so I'm sure everyone else can co

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

This is one thing I won't agree with you on. It's a nice concept but that would require additional work on behalf of every developer and that's just not going to happen. It'd be a kin to the work put into stadia titles where they're basically just a PC game configured a certain way with the settings removed.

The deck has SD expansion for additional storage, capacity is not going to be an issue.

When software is built, there is a "pipeline" of steps that go from error checking, compiling, testing, etc through to the final image. Packing up all the assets is part of that pipeline. Adding a step to compress and downscale media files is a lot less work than any kind of platform-specific code changes.

2 hours ago, Cooke said:

Sitting further away doesn't increase the detail dimwit. 

Your 55 4k tv has 80ppi no matter where you are sitting. 

It makes the image smoother so that you cannot make out the pixels.

you need a HIGHER PPI to achieve this same effect the closer you get to viewing a screen.

He was clearly trying to mislead and imply that the cheap-ass 7" 1280x800  LCD screen that you would be viewing 12-14 inches away from your face would be doing something better than the 55" 4K OLED from where I sit 6 feet away from.

PPI doesn't mean anything without context.........which is why nobody uses PPI for home television screens because its already implied that you would be sitting at an appropriate length.

PPI is used in context for handheld devices, and Lemij was so butthurt about me he tried bringing my home television screen into the conversation.

2 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

When software is built, there is a "pipeline" of steps that go from error checking, compiling, testing, etc through to the final image. Packing up all the assets is part of that pipeline. Adding a step to compress and downscale media files is a lot less work than any kind of platform-specific code changes.

and yet they still won't put in that work, no matter how little it may seem.

unless Valve makes a deal with certain developers, or provides incentives.

this is pretty much another attempt from Valve to see how many people they can get on SteamOS, and its probably going to fare as well as their previous attempts.  They look at a slight rise in SteamOS users, so it drop back down. And then they'll abandon this product for another couple of years before they come out with a second handheld device.

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

just watched the DF video. i may get one if it takes off. it looks very impressive. 

There's already been 100,000 units reserved and that does not account for the 64GB model. The nice thing is this device doesn't need to take off, Valve doesn't need to support it. It's a PC so it will continually be supported, have new games and just work.

• Upvote 1
Just now, DynamiteCop said:

There's already been 100,000 units reserved and that does not account for the 64GB model. The nice thing is this device doesn't need to take off, Valve doesn't need to support it. It's a PC so it will continually be supported, have new games and just work.

if i get it, i'll get the 64gb version. i have so much micro sd storage. 

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

if i get it, i'll get the 64gb version. i have so much micro sd storage. 

Yea, Gabe also confirmed that even the base 64GB version has an M.2 expansion slot.. so that's another option.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DynamiteCop said:

They really thought this thing out

LOL, except for the placement of the D-pad and face buttons.

Y'know.............the actual things that allow you to play the game.

Its actually worse than Ken Kuturagi actually designing one of the face buttons of the PSP underneath the screen that it may get stuck.

7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Its actually worse than Ken Kuturagi actually designing one of the face buttons of the PSP underneath the screen that it may get stuck.

People say it feels fine.

Can't be any worse than Switch... especially with buttons for a d-pad :lawl: 

4 minutes ago, Remij said:

People say it feels fine.

Can't be any worse than Switch... especially with buttons for a d-pad :lawl: 

it seems like it actually can be, judging by its placement.

short previews of the device isn't going to demonstrate anything.

Edited by jehurey
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

damn, the launch units are sold out. next batch is 2nd quarter 2022. 

Don't do it. Might as well get a gaming laptop. This isn't a good way to play games designed for PCs 

19 minutes ago, jehurey said:

If you did even 5 minutes of research you would know most people felt the same way... that is until they actually held it. The placement is apparently quite good.

15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

it seems like it actually can be, judging by its placement.

short previews of the device isn't going to demonstrate anything.

"seems" is the key word there.  You don't know... and people who have used it do.  :shrug: 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, -GD-X said:

just watched the DF video. i may get one if it takes off. it looks very impressive. 

Yeah I actually think it would be a good fit for someone like you who might want to play the occasional PC game but doesn't want to invest that much in the platform and what it requires in terms of space, hardware, peripherals, etc.

....Also you would finally have no excuse to not try The Cat Lady :mjcry:

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Remij said:

"seems" is the key word there.  You don't know... and people who have used it do.  :shrug: 

No, because I'm using visible observation. I can see that they are positioned in a spot where gamers have not felt comfortable using a D-pad and face buttons in those locations

Are the d-pad and face buttons at the very outer edge of the unit, or not?

I mean...........what are you gonna tell me........to not believe what I can plainly see with my eyes?:drake:

51 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

If you did even 5 minutes of research you would know most people felt the same way... that is until they actually held it. The placement is apparently quite good.

if you read my post, you would know that short demos of the unit, playing a game like Control which doesn't make much use of the D-pad and the face buttons (because its primarily analog sticks and shoulder buttons) isn't enough to make that determination.