Valve announced a new handheld and it looks like shit

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Its actually not as simple as dyno is saying. If it functions like a computer then you have to download the Windows image from MS, copy it onto a USB, and then install it on the deck. Afterwards you'll have to buy a license for that version of Windows too.

I don't think the average person is going to want to go that route. Then theres the fact that the hardware is designed for the linux based OS so games could perform worse if you suddenly decide to run them through Windows on the Deck.

And because a lot of people won't want to go through the trouble, they'll be stuck not being able to play the most popular battle royale and multiplayer games because of the lack of anti cheat support on the steamOS.

Theres definitely some glaring flaws and concerns with the device that Valve need to address.

It's pretty simple.  People that will buy this thing are exactly the type of people who will throw Windows on it... or not.  Windows licenses can be bought for dirt cheap on key reselling sites.  It's literally nothing to get windows on this thing.

The hardware isn't "designed for linux"... It's PC hardware... it will run anything as a PC would.  We'll have to wait and see the performance characteristics between SteamOS and Windows on the device.  I don't think they will be vastly different.

And again... those "most popular games" will be supported eventually.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Valve came out with a Switch Pro before Nintendo

lol sheep are shook ITT   "a number of popular online games don't work on it"   Well you guys have been skipping most online games for decades now so I'm sure everyone else can co

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TLHBO said:

"Handheld with no exclusives"

Probably the biggest fucking gaming library out of any system out there :D but it doesn't have a Mario game every year therefore it sucks. That's not to mention the emulation potential.

I don't care for it because I don't need steam on a handheld but as a gaming device this would be great.

LMFAO... probably? No, it EASILY will be the handheld with the biggest library of games of any system out there. :D 

52 minutes ago, Nightshade79 said:

Can you imagine pulling that shit out in public. rofl. why can't valve just pay a designer. it looks like gabeN sketched in on a napkin one afternoon. It's too heavy as well.

Not sure how it's worse than this:

02traCY9YVrwwmniKWWEjLH-10.1569480454.fi

• Haha 1
  • dead 1

lemij defending this because it's shiny and new :trump2: once a new switch comes out he'll start ripping on it.

Oh and anyone that installs windows 10 or 11 on this thing deserves the gulag.

I dont think this thing is going to run AAA games too well if at all. Especially if devs arent going to optimize games for it. If its just the PC version, turn the settings down and good luck....well, good luck.  64GB model you are lucky to fit one new game , and many games you wont be able to fit period without buying more storage. If the 256gb model was 400 bucks i think they may have a decent product. 

It really does show how much of a rip off the Switch is tho. And at least you can play all of Switchs games on it too. Ill buy one in 6 months for 99dollars after they flop. It can sit next to my steam controller and steam link. Discontinued flops.

3 hours ago, Remij said:

It's pretty simple.  People that will buy this thing are exactly the type of people who will throw Windows on it... or not.  Windows licenses can be bought for dirt cheap on key reselling sites.  It's literally nothing to get windows on this thing.

The hardware isn't "designed for linux"... It's PC hardware... it will run anything as a PC would.  We'll have to wait and see the performance characteristics between SteamOS and Windows on the device.  I don't think they will be vastly different.

And again... those "most popular games" will be supported eventually.

This thing is going to have plenty of other problems. It may seem advanced now but its going to become outdated pretty quickly. The previews are gushing over games like Doom Eternal, Fallen Order, Control, etc but those were all originally released on last gen consoles. We're gonna start seeing games exclusive to this gen soon that are going to be more demanding and I think the Deck is going to struggle with many of those.

Its going to be a novel system for small indie games but I don't think its going to succeed at anything else.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

This thing is going to have plenty of other problems. It may seem advanced now but its going to become outdated pretty quickly. The previews are gushing over games like Doom Eternal, Fallen Order, Control, etc but those were all originally released on last gen consoles. We're gonna start seeing games exclusive to this gen soon that are going to be more demanding and I think the Deck is going to struggle with many of those.

Its going to be a novel system for small indie games but I don't think its going to succeed at anything else.

What do you think people will play on it?

In my opinion this looks perfect for those that want to play indie games - just like the switch had that reputation. Also the past 2 gens of games look and hold up well enough to play on here. Personally I've been playing Ninja Gaiden HD collection, firepro wrestling, Civilization, and Batman AA recently. Not everyone only wants to play the cutting edge.

I guess my point is I don't think the person who wants to play the latest call of duty and battlefield every year will want this. Just my opinion but why would you want those on a small screen with a touch pad? If I was buying them for steam I'd want a monitor and mouse/kb.

I think this like switch will carve out a niche of people looking for smaller scale games, the only thing this has going against it for that is the price point.

Don't forget that this is just steam on a desktop os. If you've had steam for a while then congrats you probably have hundreds of games already in your library. You could essentially use this like a WIiU - use the full fledged desktop PC to play the demanding games, and just use this for indie games or games more suited to a handheld. It's all part of one steam library.

I'd probably get one but I have no use for a handheld. Thats why I don't have a switch either. However NIntendo handhelds always do well, nobody else has truly cracked that market so I don't see this setting the market on fire but at least it will always have game support no matter how it performs on the market.

1 hour ago, JonbX said:

I dont think this thing is going to run AAA games too well if at all. Especially if devs arent going to optimize games for it. If its just the PC version, turn the settings down and good luck....well, good luck.  64GB model you are lucky to fit one new game , and many games you wont be able to fit period without buying more storage. If the 256gb model was 400 bucks i think they may have a decent product. 

It really does show how much of a rip off the Switch is tho. And at least you can play all of Switchs games on it too. Ill buy one in 6 months for 99dollars after they flop. It can sit next to my steam controller and steam link. Discontinued flops.

I think it will run AAA games just fine for a couple years yet.

The power it has for the resolution it requires is quite good.. and yes, as long as people aren't expecting high and ultra settings for everything, then I don't see why it won't be.

This current gen is taking longer to transition than people will want to admit.  Sony still releasing PS4 versions of their exclusive games too.  Like I said, there's nothing done currently which couldn't be done on last gen devices, and made to scale... of which on PC you have increased flexibility to do.

Of course there are going to be big games that it will struggle with/not run at all.. but I'd say the VAST majority of people buying this thing are doing so to play the library they already have on the go, and not as some next gen powerhouse expecting to run all of the newest games perfectly.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

I think it will run AAA games just fine for a couple years yet.

The power it has for the resolution it requires is quite good.. and yes, as long as people aren't expecting high and ultra settings for everything, then I don't see why it won't be.

This current gen is taking longer to transition than people will want to admit.  Sony still releasing PS4 versions of their exclusive games too.  Like I said, there's nothing done currently which couldn't be done on last gen devices, and made to scale... of which on PC you have increased flexibility to do.

Of course there are going to be big games that it will struggle with/not run at all.. but I'd say the VAST majority of people buying this thing are doing so to play the library they already have on the go, and not as some next gen powerhouse expecting to run all of the newest games perfectly.

That's the thing you can always turn down settings if needed, who cares about processor heavy shit you'll barely notice on an 800p 7 inch screen? :]

Steam Deck is gonna be a viable way to play current (next) gen games basically the whole way. The hardware is a feature match with PS5/XBX with proportional downscaling to the 720p res. Some day we will be playing the next God of War on Deck. MS establishing the low priced Series S also means developers will have to scale their tech more than in previous generations.

Even plugged into a TV/monitor, the FidelityFX upscaling should be decent. This is a great way for new people to start building a PC library.

11 minutes ago, Literal Nazi Rudolf Hess said:

Its ugly as fuck man. This is made for fat hermslobs that find the 10 steps to their desk too strenuous on fat knees.

You're just being stupid.

They're both literally a screen flanked by some controls..

15-Best-Nintendo-Switch-Games-You-Must-Psteam-deck-hades-0.webp

The ridiculous looking ugly one if any is the one which has some bright toyish colors coming from it... like Fisher Price shit.

I just can't take you guys seriously with this shit :smilecry:  I can understand saying it doesn't look anything special.. or whatever... but one being "great" and the other "ugly as fuck"... nah fam :tom: 

Edited by Remij
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Remij said:

You're just being stupid.

They're both literally a screen flanked by some controls..

15-Best-Nintendo-Switch-Games-You-Must-Psteam-deck-hades-0.webp

The ridiculous looking ugly one if any is the one which has some bright toyish colors coming from it... like Fisher Price shit.

I just can't take you guys seriously with this shit :smilecry:  I can understand saying it doesn't look anything special.. or whatever... but one being "great" and the other "ugly as fuck"... nah fam :tom: 

The OLED switch looks far more appealing than the slob dock

jDuN28aRo85VDQxj3d8nPJ.jpg

Edited by Cooke